The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@zKlown @Zerforax thoughts on M&S profits plunging 88% in a single year?

How do you go from 216 million profit to 25 million profit in a year, that's almost 2 Pogbas :eek:
Reply 261
Strong tax evasion.
Original post by fallen_acorns
**** me, young people today are just weak.

Thread on TSR about banning fireworks, and I swear I could be listening to a bunch of OAPs rather then young school/uni students..

No wonder young people love the EU, they have been brought up in a world where everything must be rulled and regulated and organised otherwise its dangerous/problematic.

15 years ago youd hear old people complaining about young people being irrisponsible with fireworks, now its young people complaining

'They should be banned for everyone except in organised official public displays' - well thats a fun young spontanous attitude to have.

What happened to rebellious young people pushing the limmits.. I know TSR is not that representative, but even so it still pisses me off.. should be out setting off some fireworks in a field with their family/friends, and having a good time, not arguing for more bureaucracy/regulation.

TSR is hardly the home of rebellious young teens.
Original post by swirly

How do you go from 216 million profit to 25 million profit in a year, that's almost 2 Pogbas :eek:

A mixture of a few things, changes in pensions with a big fall in clothing and home sales. They really need to become more digitalise, retail stores are struggling especially as more people are buying clothing online. But, it could all be to reduce tax liability, or artifically drop profits lower to make it seem like they will have a fantastic year next year when profits increase.
Original post by swirly

Most of the decrease seems to be related to one-off costs from a quick glance.

Underlying profits fell by 18.6% which isn't great though.
Original post by Zerforax
Most of the decrease seems to be related to one-off costs from a quick glance.

I'll believe this for now, but if @Fizzel says something to the contrary, I'm believing him
Original post by swirly
I'll believe this for now, but if @Fizzel says something to the contrary, I'm believing him
Lol, can't say most of my portfolio isn't based on specific companies because I don't have time to read their financials. How do you rate M&S foodcourt?
To be honest I think if it wasn't for their food section they'd be going the way of BHS. Their clothes are overpriced, poor quality and designed for pensioners - well at least the mens are. No young people shop there.

I think the problem with clothes retailers in general is that everyone is used to buying things as "disposable fashion" (Primark, H&M) or only buying when there's a sale on. My wardrobe is stuffed with everything from general high street brands to designer labels but I haven't paid full price for an item of clothing in years.
M&S clothing for men is vastly overpriced for what they sell. They do sell clothing a young man could wear but you could get higher quality from elsewhere for cheaper. Their food is delicious though. They should just get rid of all of the clothing apart from the suits (which are reasonably priced tbf) and underwear.

I just bought a capsule wardrobe a few years back, with key timeless pieces such as shirts and jumpers from Ralph Lauren. For casual shirts I buy from Club Monaco (owned by Ralph Lauren) every once in a while. I prefer to go for quality timeless pieces rather than specific trends.

Club Monaco's stores are great though, I have been to several across the world.

(edited 7 years ago)

****, now I regret not finding out what happens to Omar
Original post by swirly

Why have you tagged me in this?

I suggest @fallen_acorns opinion on this.
Original post by James.Carnell
M&S clothing for men is vastly overpriced for what they sell. They do sell clothing a young man could wear but you could get higher quality from elsewhere for cheaper. Their food is delicious though. They should just get rid of all of the clothing apart from the suits (which are reasonably priced tbf) and underwear.

I just bought a capsule wardrobe a few years back, with key timeless pieces such as shirts and jumpers from Ralph Lauren. For casual shirts I buy from Club Monaco (owned by Ralph Lauren) every once in a while. I prefer to go for quality timeless pieces rather than specific trends.

Club Monaco's stores are great though, I have been to several across the world.

I think you're a nice guy
Original post by zKlown
Why have you tagged me in this?

You have opinions on things. It's what you do. When you're standing in a field, you're well aware you're standing in a field.
Reply 273
@Precious Illusions, what do you make of Swirly as a poster? I'm sure you've seen his posts.
^ user above would not know he was standing in a field, if he was standing in a field
Reply 275
Original post by swirly
^ user above would not know he was standing in a field, if he was standing in a field

The user above me is you pal.
Original post by SA-1
The user above me is you pal.

Quod erat demonstrandum
Original post by zKlown
I think you're a nice guy

Thanks, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :colondollar:
Reply 278
Original post by swirly
Quod erat demonstrandum

On the central line, between which two stations will you find the most attractive women? (1 mark)
Original post by SA-1
On the central line, between which two stations will you find the most attractive women? (1 mark)

Surely that's a two mark question

Latest