The Student Room Group

My driving instructor shouts at me

He keeps shouting at me when I make the tiniest of mistakes. Nothing major at all. Mainly when I was doing manoeuvres.

Should I change instructors?
If you don't feel comfortable with him then yeah I would change! Maybe he's just trying to help you but not in a nice way (to you), but stick with what you feel is the best for you. :smile:
Probably a good idea. Someone shouting never helps you learn especially when you're in control (even if not really) of a machine which could hurt you and others. You need someone who can guide you and explain when you're doing something wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by Info4u1234
If you don't feel comfortable with him then yeah I would change! Maybe he's just trying to help you but not in a nice way (to you), but stick with what you feel is the best for you. :smile:

I can never learn when someone is shouting at me. He also sighs really hard and annoyingly when he expects me to do something he's not taught me. The thing about changing is that he lives few streets away from me so it's convenient, and it's hard to find private instructors where I live.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Probably a good idea. Someone shouting never helps you learn especially when you're in control (even if not really) of a machine which could hurt you and others. You need someone who can guide you and explain when you're doing something wrong.

My test is in December. Too late to change right?
Original post by Anonymous
I can never learn when someone is shouting at me. He also sighs really hard and annoyingly when he expects me to do something he's not taught me. The thing about changing is that he lives few streets away from me so it's convenient, and it's hard to find private instructors where I live.

Yes I see where your coming from, as I'm the same as you, I can never learn with strict people.
Hmm.. well that is an advantage but you need to be happy! Or it depends on how far in you are before you take your test?

Not necessarily.. u can also change the test date? :smile:

TBH I would not put up with that! You are PAYING him and he should be polite. :mad:
Reply 7
He keeps shouting at me when I make the tiniest of mistakes. Nothing major at all. Mainly when I was doing manoeuvres.

No instructor should shout, it shows unprofessionalism. Change, tell him/her this is unacceptable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Info4u1234
Yes I see where your coming from, as I'm the same as you, I can never learn with strict people.
Hmm.. well that is an advantage but you need to be happy! Or it depends on how far in you are before you take your test?

I've done all the exercises, been over them a few times, 80% Of the time I can do evertrhing without the instructor telling me, but when I can't, he acts as if it's the end of the world. Obviously I can't tell him to his face because I don't want to sound rude but in my head I felt like shouting back (never would, it's not who I am)
You'll be okay! My instructor shouted at me lots And I passed with 2 minors.
Original post by PrinceHarrys
Not necessarily.. u can also change the test date? :smile:

TBH I would not put up with that! You are PAYING him and he should be polite. :mad:

Next test date where I live is end of March. My test originally was in January but happened to find one in December. Just want to get it over and done with and with exams in January/February it wouldn't be convenient. If I happen to fail, I'll have to change instructors.
It's the worse when people shout at you for something you're learning to do. Makes no sense.
I've done all the exercises, been over them a few times, 80% Of the time I can do evertrhing without the instructor telling me, but when I can't, he acts as if it's the end of the world. Obviously I can't tell him to his face because I don't want to sound rude but in my head I felt like shouting back (never would, it's not who I am)

You can have a word! You're paying :s-smilie:

you could try posting about the changing instructor thing i nthe Driving sub forum? :smile:
Reply 12

Are you male or female?

Probably but since i've failed once and my manoeuvres are pretty good, feel free to ask me about driving and stuff, anything u particularly find difficult/not easy
I was in the exact same position.

My driving instructor would also turn up late, like 20 mins late and buy drinks on the way.

Seriously, change your driving instructor while you still can.

No, it's not too late. You might need a few extra hours for a new instructor to assess your driving, but it's important that you are in an environment where you can learn, not be afraid of being shouted at.
Reply 16
Change instructor asap
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a really nervous learner and the first instructor I had used to make me feel really guilty and stupid. My new instructor is much calmer but when he shouts I feel like crying but I just keep quiet. However, when he shouts I know it's because I actually did something really stupid and he's right when he says I'm not good at focusing or multitasking. He shouts only momentarily though even though I make him really frustrated, eventually he does start encouraging me again and saying it's ok you will get there with some more practise. So I still feel comfortable with him.

I'm still only on my 10th lesson now anyway though, so I would expect a lot of frustration on his part in these stages anyway. At your stage I would look for a new instructor because unless you're making a lot of beginner/dangerous mistakes like me (not breaking when cars are approaching, almost swerving into parked cars, causing a huge delay to cars behind because I don't know how to leave off) then your instructor shouldn't be shouting at you like that.
Original post by MrTurks
Change instructor asap

Out of interest, why did you edit your post?

I feel you pain OP, I once had an instructor very similar to your. He always wanted the best for me and sometimes I feel that although he shouted at me for small things - it has in hindsight worked in my favour.

With regards to your situation, take up the problem straight up with your instructor. Let them know how you feel and that YOU are PAYING THEM - and therefore deserve a level of respect from him/her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending