The Student Room Group

When will Birmingham build a mini Times Square to attract more tourists?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magic Streets

I never even knew that they were planning on doing this? I imagine it will take time to build it. :smile:
Original post by Illimitable
I never even knew that they were planning on doing this? I imagine it will take time to build it. :smile:

They aren't, but they really need to, as Birmingham is so far behind London.

Isn't that basically what they are doing right now? Just without the large light powered billboards.
Original post by Captain Jack
Isn't that basically what they are doing right now? Just without the large light powered billboards.

They have built a new train station (very nice), and there is a tram system in progress, but they sure as hell don't have a mini Times Square. They don't even have a mini Canary Wharf.

That's true. :smile:

London has a lot more spent on it.

Are you referring to any specific development here?
They have built a new train station (very nice), and there is a tram system in progress, but they sure as hell don't have a mini Times Square. They don't even have a mini Canary Wharf.

Original post by Wilfred Little
London has a lot more spent on it.

Are you referring to any specific development here?

I was there yesterday and they're building a massive new square next to the Town Hall and Library etc.

It's definitely not got all of the advertising Times Square has. But it's a hub with lots of investment and cool buildings. Birmingham is really up and coming right now. Birmingham definitely doesn't want all of the rubbish shops Times Square has.
I was there yesterday and they're building a massive new square next to the Town Hall and Library etc.

It's definitely not got all of the advertising Times Square has. But it's a hub with lots of investment and cool buildings. Birmingham is really up and coming right now. Birmingham definitely doesn't want all of the rubbish shops Times Square has.

Any photos?
Any photos?

It's just a building site right now but I did get cool photos of other areas.

You were here yesterday?
They don't even have a mini Canary Wharf.

Digbeth?

Broad St?

Any photos?

He's on about Paradise, Chamberlain Square 1 & 2.

This is what we're getting:

This is the other side where you'd walk through to Broad Street, Library of Birmingham on the left.

It replaces this:

Demolition of the old Central Library has just been completed, as far as I know this is a ten year development and we are a couple of years in.
(edited 7 years ago)
They need a Times Square.
They need to make M6 wider so more people can leave.
They need a Times Square.

Can you elaborate please.

Something that will pull in tourists from London's Leicester Square.
Reply 17
Meh, if you were gonna put it somewhere, put it in Manchester... I'm from the West Midlands but honestly, although the second city, Birmingham is severely lacking in culture. No one comes here.
Reply 18

Finding this thread and line of thought hilarious you know :rofl:

Why not add a mini Eiffel Tower and mini Grand Canyon while they're at it.

Get all the tourists.

Original post by moonkatt
You were here yesterday?

Yessir! It's lovely now.

Quick Reply

Latest