The Student Room Group

2017 Mathematics Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jadeemma
I really liked Queens' on the open day and I like that you get example lessons there as well as supervisions! Plus it's in a great location. I've looked round King's and that looked amazing but thought I'd have less chance of getting in as so many people apply there! How did you find the STEP exams? Thank you for your reassurance, I sent it off a month ago to Warwick so maybe it's at the bottom of the pile or something, haha!

Yup dont worry i got in with a Engineering PS

Original post by felixhz123
hi guys i was just wondering i'm a gap year student and will start uni in 2018. I did the MAT and graduated from Sixth Form with 4 A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1. However I don't think i did great in the MAT, probably 55-65 range. Will i still be considered a strong applicant for Oxford/Imperial considering my results and given circumstances? Thanks!

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202014.pdf

check this out. Depends on your interview but i *think* youll have a fairly good chance. Good luck and well done on your amazing A level and STEP results. Im sure the uni will take ur STEP results into consideration, generally STEP 1 is more difficult than MAT so im sure you have a pretty strong aplication.
Have you heard anything about an interview yet at Cambridge? I hope they class it as an anamoly! It's annoying as I got 70/72 in the mock but just had a bad day in the actual exam! I'm doing M2 at the moment and that's really hard, can't imagine how hard M4 is! Did you do the Maths Challenge today and are you doing the exam for Durham tomorrow? Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your application too :-)

Yes I did the maths challenge today and tomorrow I am doing the Durham exam. I am more excited for the Durham exam than I was for the maths challenge based on the content that is in it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cryptokyo
Yes I did the maths challenge today and tomorrow I am doing the Durham exam. I am more excited for the Durham exam than I was for the maths challenge based on the content that is in it.

How did you find the maths challenge? Did you think it was easier or harder than last year? What have you done for revision for the Durham Exam other than the specimen papers? Also what kind of marks did you get on the specimen papers if you've done them? I thought they were mostly easy questions apart from the very last ones.
How did you find the maths challenge? Did you think it was easier or harder than last year? What have you done for revision for the Durham Exam other than the specimen papers? Also what kind of marks did you get on the specimen papers if you've done them? I thought they were mostly easy questions apart from the very last ones.

Found the maths challenge standard. I never prepare for it (so I can't really comment on difficulty compared to previous years) but I answered around 20 questions with solid solutions so I am happy with that. I am not a fan of geometry so the maths challenge has never really been my thing.

In terms of the TMUA, I have done the specimen papers and scored 20/20 on paper 1 and 18/20 on paper 2 (both in timed conditions). I have done some MAT questions but nothing more really. All the questions we pretty standard but I am expecting the questions in the real thing to be a fair bit harder.

How have you prepared?
Hi all,
Name: David
AS Results: AA (Maths, Further - my school is generally linear)
A2 (Predicted): A*A*A*A (Maths, Further, Physics, English Lit.)
UMS: C1 100; C2 98; FP1 99; M1 95; S1 100; D1 100
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, King's London (offer: AAA)
Fun fact: Avid singer

Just did the Senior Maths Challenge, and got ~120 according to TSR thread, looking forward to trying for BMO2
Estimating ~90 in the MAT last week for Imperial
Question: is my profile good enough for Trinity College? They are the best in the business, but I can handle BMO2 questions, STEP confidently. Just wondering how I compare

Add me if you're in the same boat
What exam board are you with? In FP1 it was the one about imaginary numbers which I messed up and then my next answers were wrong too!! I got 62/72 in the exam so must have got another question wrong somewhere but I'm not sure which one! It is still an A so I don't mind too much, just need to do good in FP2 and FP3 this year!
Are you doing the exam for Durham tomorrow? Did you do the Maths Challenge today too?
What 4 subjects do you do? They're great predictions and it means you can beat them too! :-)

I'm with AQA! I feel the same - I'm determined to do well in FP2 this year :smile:

Nope, I'm not applying to Durham.

I do maths, fm, physics and history! Thank you, I definitely won't beat my physics one haha (I'm doing OCR A - what're you on?), though I'm defo aiming for A* in maths and fm :biggrin:

Yep I did the Senior Maths Challenge! No idea how well it went as some were pretty straight forward & others made me super confused. I'm not expecting anything out of it, though :tongue:
Found the maths challenge standard. I never prepare for it (so I can't really comment on difficulty compared to previous years) but I answered around 20 questions with solid solutions so I am happy with that. I am not a fan of geometry so the maths challenge has never really been my thing.

In terms of the TMUA, I have done the specimen papers and scored 20/20 on paper 1 and 18/20 on paper 2 (both in timed conditions). I have done some MAT questions but nothing more really. All the questions we pretty standard but I am expecting the questions in the real thing to be a fair bit harder.

How have you prepared?

I think the real thing will be harder too. I got 15 ish on both in timed conditions. I ran out of time so need to work faster! I don't know if you still have your solutions but if so how do you do question 19. on paper 1? It's about geometric series. And 14 on paper 1 too. What does it mean if x and y are related? Thank you :-)
Original post by Lauren-x-
I'm with AQA! I feel the same - I'm determined to do well in FP2 this year :smile:

Nope, I'm not applying to Durham.

I do maths, fm, physics and history! Thank you, I definitely won't beat my physics one haha (I'm doing OCR A - what're you on?), though I'm defo aiming for A* in maths and fm :biggrin:

Yep I did the Senior Maths Challenge! No idea how well it went as some were pretty straight forward & others made me super confused. I'm not expecting anything out of it, though :tongue:

I'm opposite exam boards, OCR Maths and AQQ Physics!
There's a thread with the Maths Challenge solutions on. I'm hoping I got 103 and hoping to get onto the next round but not sure whether that's high enough. Hope you've done better than you think :-)
Thank you so much!! This helps loads :-) Good Luck with the exam tomorrow :-D

No problem. Good luck tomorrow as well! :smile:
I'm opposite exam boards, OCR Maths and AQQ Physics!
There's a thread with the Maths Challenge solutions on. I'm hoping I got 103 and hoping to get onto the next round but not sure whether that's high enough. Hope you've done better than you think :-)

Thanks! I haven't seen the thread yet & I probs don't remember what I put anyway haha :smile:
Original post by DavidBick
Hi all,

Just did the Senior Maths Challenge, and got ~120 according to TSR thread, looking forward to trying for BMO2
Question: is my profile good enough for Trinity College? They are the best in the business, but I can handle BMO2 questions, STEP confidently. Just wondering how I compare

Welcome to the thread David. You have clearly done incredibly well in the maths challenge (much better than me :biggrin: and I am applying to Peterhouse!). I would say you are in with a definite shot at Trinity and as long as you impress at interview then all should be good from there. Due to my lack of knowledge of Cambridge admissions, I can't really add much more other than all the best with your application :smile:!
Reply 111
Original post by DavidBick
Hi all,

I think it's worth bearing in mind that trinity has a massive intake, and from my recollection it's not notably oversubscribed (I was given details at an open day I went to, though I decided not to apply to Cambridge in the end)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to the thread David. You have clearly done incredibly well in the maths challenge (much better than me :biggrin: and I am applying to Peterhouse!). I would say you are in with a definite shot at Trinity and as long as you impress at interview then all should be good from there. Due to my lack of knowledge of Cambridge admissions, I can't really add much more other than all the best with your application :smile:!

Thanks for the encouragement! Reading TSR, where everyone's academic record is flawless, I do feel like Trinity might have been aiming too high. But I heard that the only way into that specific college is direct application (they don't take from the pool) so maybe it's worth the shot.

You're an exemplary admin, all the best with your application.
Reply 113
How long did it take everyone to hear back from Nottingham/Birmingham/Bristol? Also, has anyone had an interview at Manchester? I have one in a couple of weeks and want to know what to expect. Thank you 🙂
Maths interview at Cambridge!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Maths interview at Cambridge!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Well Done!! At which college?
Well Done!! At which college?

Thank you - Girton! Not the most glamorous but at the end of the day, Cambridge is Cambridge
Original post by issy144
How long did it take everyone to hear back from Nottingham/Birmingham/Bristol? Also, has anyone had an interview at Manchester? I have one in a couple of weeks and want to know what to expect. Thank you 🙂

I got an offer from Nottingham 11 days after I sent my application off on 24th October. I haven't heard anything from Birmingham yet. I didn't apply to Bristol so I have no idea about that one :smile:
Original post by issy144

I got an offer from Nottingham a few weeks ago, about 10 days after I sent off my UCAS. I had a maths interview at Manchester last week, it wasn't that formal, quite short. Mine was just a chat about what I like about maths, and a friend of mine said her interviewer spent half of the time asking her about A level art

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
I got an offer from Nottingham 11 days after I sent my application off on 24th October. I haven't heard anything from Birmingham yet. I didn't apply to Bristol so I have no idea about that one :smile:

Okay thanks, I sent mine off 11 days ago now so hopefully I'll hear something soon 😬 Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything though👍🏼

Quick Reply

Latest