The Student Room Group

Does anybody else feel sorry for Prince Harry at the moment?

I know that being a member of the Royal Family must have a lot of perks & I don't think many people would turn down the chance to live a similar lifestyle to what Prince Harry has - you can't say he's had a boring life between the royal commitments, wild parties & flying Apache gunships over Afghanistan.

But I do think the way that the press has gone into a piranha like feeding frenzy since finding out that Prince Harry & Meghan Markle are dating is totally ridiculous. I know it's vital to have a free press but surely even members of the Royal Family are entitled to some kind of private life? It wouldn't be totally unfair to blame the press for what happened to Diana which surely must affect Harry's thoughts on that industry too.

As with any media frenzy these days, you seem to get the token amount of retards who just throw insults around from across the spectrum from the apparent safety of a keyboard. Bloody mental.
I for one hope that the press backs off somewhat - is it really in the public interest for paparazzi to attempt to break into houses, pester everyone Meghan Markle had ever met or just generally follow every step Harry or she makes in order to get an "exclusive" story?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/08/prince-harry-attacks-racist-trolls-in-unprecedented-statement-on/

What are your thoughts on this ladies & gents?

Scroll to see replies

I don't feel sorry for him. I'd like to be doing whatsername off Suits and flying a helicopter.
I don't have any sympathy for him - he chooses to date an actress and an American, that was always going to generate huge public interest, and he must have known that.

The Scandinavian royal families date/marry normal working people but ours seem to always latch themselves to celebrities, socialites, and other extremely wealthy people. It's pathetic, they're becoming more elite, not less.
Reply 3
Maybe because your average "normal" person can't actually handle the amount of media pressure that comes with dating a member of the UK Royal Family?
You can't say that any other Monarchy in the world attracts as much attention.
Original post by Tempest II
You can't say that any other Monarchy in the world attracts as much attention.

They get more attention because of how they behave, not because of who they are. If they led more normal lives, didn't go out partying and holidaying with the world's uber rich or retreat into a closed bubble of privilege and palaces, there wouldn't be nearly as much media interest.
Original post by Snufkin
The Scandinavian royal families date/marry normal working people but ours seem to always latch themselves to celebrities, socialites, and other extremely wealthy people. It's pathetic, they're becoming more elite, not less.

Is this actually the case, though? If you really think about it, apart from Harry there's nothing too unusual going on.

William basically married a girl he met at university.

Zara is essentially an athlete who married another athlete, got divorced and married another athlete.

Edward was in showbiz, met Sophie Rhys-Jones who I think was in showbiz too.

Andrew and Fergie knew each other from childhood.

And they're definitely become less aristocratic. Sure, Lady Di and Fergie were both quite posh, but Sophie Rhys-Jones wasn't. Kate Middleton's family was a little bit posh, but not excessively so. Mike Tindall is just a dude. They're not exactly marrying into royalty - no more than people who might have gone to the polo a bit and have been in the Army.

What do you want? For Beatrice and Eugenie to get down to Roxy on a Friday night or get some Tinder dates?
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't pity me TSR
Reply 7
No. If he wants to reap the benefits of being royal he has to do his JOB and suck it up! If he doesn't want to automatically be given a job that allows him to live a life of extravagant luxury off the backs of other people who don't even get a choice in whether they contribute to pay for him and his lifestyle (while homeless are freezing and starving on their doorstep) then he knows what he can do.
Original post by Moura
No. If he wants to reap the benefits of being royal he has to do his JOB and suck it up! If he doesn't want to automatically be given a job that allows him to live a life of extravagant luxury off the backs of other people who don't even get a choice in whether they contribute to pay for him and his lifestyle (while homeless are freezing and starving on their doorstep) then he knows what he can do.

You don't actually know where Harry gets his money from, do you?
Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
You don't actually know where Harry gets his money from, do you?

Everything the royal family has comes from a long line of injustice
Original post by Snufkin
I don't have any sympathy for him - he chooses to date an actress and an American,

just like your man the Duke of Windsor & Wallis Simpson.
Original post by Snufkin
They get more attention because of how they behave, not because of who they are. If they led more normal lives, didn't go out partying and holidaying with the world's uber rich or retreat into a closed bubble of privilege and palaces, there wouldn't be nearly as much media interest.

I'm not sure thats true.The media in this country seem to be almost sycophantic when it comes to the royal family.When kate gave birth she wasn't seeking attention but that didn't stop the media reporting on absoloutely nothing of interest happening, for 10 hours.Its at least partly because media outlets like the daily mail don't view them as ordinary humans.
Is this actually the case, though? If you really think about it, apart from Harry there's nothing too unusual going on.

William basically married a girl he met at university.

Zara is essentially an athlete who married another athlete, got divorced and married another athlete.

Edward was in showbiz, met Sophie Rhys-Jones who I think was in showbiz too.

Andrew and Fergie knew each other from childhood.

And they're definitely become less aristocratic. Sure, Lady Di and Fergie were both quite posh, but Sophie Rhys-Jones wasn't. Kate Middleton's family was a little bit posh, but not excessively so. Mike Tindall is just a dude. They're not exactly marrying into royalty - no more than people who might have gone to the polo a bit and have been in the Army.

What do you want? For Beatrice and Eugenie to get down to Roxy on a Friday night or get some Tinder dates?

Yes, it is true.

Kate Middleton might be a "commoner" but she is, or was, a very wealthy socialite. Zara married a famous rugby player who played for England (hardly normal) and Fergie comes from a very well-to-family. Apart from Edward, every Windsor has married someone from the establishment. Compare that to the future King of Norway who married a single-mother whose first son's father was a convicted drug dealer.

I would like a Royal Family who don't hang out with celebrities and socialites in London clubs, who aren't educated at elite private schools and who, at least for a while, do real jobs - not just cutting a few ribbons in return for a publicly funded apartment in Kensington Palace.
(edited 7 years ago)
How have I not heard about this.

Then again I don't really care about the royal family unless it's the Queenie doing something newsworthy like dying.

I don't really feel sorry, he's been used to it his entire life and knows what to expect.
Original post by Snufkin
Yes, it is true.

Kate Middleton might be a "commoner" but she is, or was, a very wealthy socialite. Zara married a famous rugby player who played for England (hardly normal) and Fergie comes from a very well-to-family. Apart from Edward, every Windsor has married someone from the establishment. Compare that to the future King of Norway who married a single-mother whose first son's father was a convicted drug dealer.

I would like a Royal Family who don't hang out with celebrities and socialites in London clubs, who aren't educated at elite private schools and who, at least for a while, do real jobs - not just cutting a few ribbons in return for a publicly funded apartment in Kensington Palace.

This is normal for anyone of their own circles, though. If you're an Olympic horserider, it's not crazy to be going out with and marrying another equestrian person, or later another famous sportsperson.

Andrew and Fergie knew one another as children. This can't be an unusual friendship/romance.

William went to university with Kate. Their relationship is about as normal as it's possible to be.

What you're suggesting is complete social engineering and manufacturing fake relationships. Since when has that ever been a good idea?
Original post by Moura
Everything the royal family has comes from a long line of injustice

Because your politics say so.
Reply 16
meh its about time he gets more limelight than william
This is normal for anyone of their own circles, though. If you're an Olympic horserider, it's not crazy to be going out with and marrying another equestrian person, or later another famous sportsperson.

Andrew and Fergie knew one another as children. This can't be an unusual friendship/romance.

William went to university with Kate. Their relationship is about as normal as it's possible to be.

What you're suggesting is complete social engineering and manufacturing fake relationships. Since when has that ever been a good idea?

You are missing the point. It isn't about where these people meet, it is their background and lifestyle which matters. I have not suggested social engineering. :rolleyes:
Original post by Snufkin
You are missing the point. It isn't about where these people meet, it is their background and lifestyle which matters. I have not suggested social engineering. :rolleyes:

You're right, I'm missing the point.

If it's not about people's background or where they meet - then the fact of them being in a relationship is going to have to be social engineering.

What you're essentially trying to say here is that you want a say in who a particular person marries.
You're right, I'm missing the point.

If it's not about people's background or where they meet - then the fact of them being in a relationship is going to have to be social engineering.

What you're essentially trying to say here is that you want a say in who a particular person marries.

I did not say that. You are fishing for an argument and I can't be bothered. My original point was that in marrying celebrities and socialites, the royals encourage even more press attention than they would otherwise get.

Quick Reply

Latest