The Student Room Group

My subjects don't match my desired career. What should I do?

I'm considering to do something in the Material Science field, but my current A2 Level subjects are Geography, Business and Economics with predicted grades of A, B and C respectively.

I don't know how to go about applying to Uni because RG uni's wish sciences to be studied at A-Level and it is a complete U-turn in terms of career choice.

I managed 7B's 4C's at GCSE with B's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths. I could've achieved better but the reason I didn't was down to my own errors. Unfortunately to stay on at my school for sixth form, which had a higher standard of teaching than most of the other schools in the surrounding area, A's were required. This is why I ended up choosing subjects so drastically different to what I wished to study.

What would you recommend doing as I don't wish to postpone going in to higher education but at the same time I do not wish to study a degree I do not enjoy, have no passion for and waste a tonne of money in the process.
subjects >>>>> school, you really should have left

You havent really got options tbh
spend 3 minutes with your head under water to think about what you've done
Unfortunately, the subjects you have chosen for A levels just aren't suitable for Material Sciences. You'd need to have taken Maths or Science to get into that study area.

Consider taking a level 3 vocational course (equivalent to 3 A levels) in one of the subjects you'd require for the uni course, whilst working in the days you are not studying. (vocational courses usually only require 3 or 4 days a week)

Eitherway, goodluck.
Apply for the degree you want but with a foundation year, that way you can still get into the degree (granted, it is one more year of fees but it seems like a good option to me) with the A levels you have. I think that's how it works. Besides, I'm pretty sure you can still get into point based Universities. Have you considered the EPQ? That'll give you more UCAS points, providing you get a good grade, and you could do it in a science subject to show you're really interested and driven to study it. However an EPQ is a lot of work, but if you need UCAS points you could take it up :smile:
Original post by Shades23
I'm considering to do something in the Material Science field, but my current A2 Level subjects are Geography, Business and Economics with predicted grades of A, B and C respectively.

I don't know how to go about applying to Uni because RG uni's wish sciences to be studied at A-Level and it is a complete U-turn in terms of career choice.

I managed 7B's 4C's at GCSE with B's in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Maths. I could've achieved better but the reason I didn't was down to my own errors. Unfortunately to stay on at my school for sixth form, which had a higher standard of teaching than most of the other schools in the surrounding area, A's were required. This is why I ended up choosing subjects so drastically different to what I wished to study.

What would you recommend doing as I don't wish to postpone going in to higher education but at the same time I do not wish to study a degree I do not enjoy, have no passion for and waste a tonne of money in the process.

You need to decide what your priorities are going to uni or material sciences.
You need to see if theres a material science course with a fundation year that will accept someone with a non science background. They sometimes exist for other subjects. You have to do the research though.

That leaves you with 2 options:
1. No delay and pick another subject that takes the A levels you are doing.
2. Delay and go to another place of studt then do the relevant subjects for material sciences.
Reply 6

Look at doing a foundation year

e.g. (but not limited to)
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering/beng-materials-engineering-foundation-year-j505/
https://www.sems.qmul.ac.uk/ugadmissions/programmes/foundation/
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fd/engineering-foundation.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sleepysnooze
spend 3 minutes with your head under water to think about what you've done

This is my new fancy way of saying kill yourself
Original post by zayn008
This is my new fancy way of saying kill yourself

just in case people thought I was actually telling the OP to kill themselves I was only trying to be cutelol
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You need to decide what your priorities are going to uni or material sciences.
You need to see if theres a material science course with a fundation year that will accept someone with a non science background. They sometimes exist for other subjects. You have to do the research though.

That leaves you with 2 options:
1. No delay and pick another subject that takes the A levels you are doing.
2. Delay and go to another place of studt then do the relevant subjects for material sciences.

I had a look at the programmes on offer by these universities and it is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering if I don't meet the criteria after the foundation programme, is that 9 grand + maintenance wasted?
Reply 10
I had a look at the programmes on offer by these universities and it is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering if I don't meet the criteria after the foundation programme, is that 9 grand + maintenance wasted?

Wasted? Perhaps, but you only start to repay it when you earn over £21k.

But, yes your best bet is to do well... :smile:

Then you shouldnt start it unless it has the potential to lead you onto the course you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending