The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

In my personal statement i want to talk about the charitable work that i have been doing.
Any help on how that could be related to accounting and finance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dan11h
In my personal statement i want to talk about the charitable work that i have doing.
Any help on how that could be related to the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

It depends on what subject it is, but some popular ones would be working under pressure, working independently, problem solving and so on.
Reply 2
subject is accounting and finance
thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
have you done anything to do with finance or paperwork etc?
Reply 4
Reply 5
Best thing would be to make it up! They're not going to check, just write that you managed the accounting of your local charity shop or that you realised that your local Oxfam was charging too little so decided to volunteer price checks on some of their items and helped them improve their profits!
Reply 6
Original post by bigwang
Best thing would be to make it up! They're not going to check, just write that you managed the accounting of your local charity shop or that you realised that your local Oxfam was charging too little so decided to volunteer price checks on some of their items and helped them improve their profits!

I just want to keep it real
any suggestions on how it could be related?
Reply 7
Original post by dan11h
I just want to keep it real
any suggestions on how it could be related?

Either don't mention it because they aren't really linked, or heavily stretch the truth like I suggested:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by bigwang
Either don't mention it because they aren't really linked, or heavily stretch the truth like I suggested:biggrin:

am i likely to get asked about the experience at the interview??
Reply 9
Original post by dan11h
am i likely to get asked about the experience at the interview??

I'm assuming you're applying this year and not to Oxbridge since they don't do the course and you've missed the deadline for it. I'm unsure which University you would be applying to which requires an interview for Accounting and Finance?
Reply 10
I would relate it more to your attitude to work than the actual subject as the link is a little tenuous.
Reply 11
Original post by bigwang
I'm assuming you're applying this year and not to Oxbridge since they don't do the course and you've missed the deadline for it. I'm unsure which University you would be applying to which requires an interview for Accounting and Finance?

naa not oxbridge
UoB
they may call me for an interview if they have to discuss something or feel something is doggy with the statement.
Reply 12
Original post by ions
I would relate it more to your attitude to work than the actual subject as the link is a little tenuous.

yeah, i understand
thanks
Original post by dan11h
naa not oxbridge
UoB
they may call me for an interview if they have to discuss something or feel something is doggy with the statement.

In that case it's no problem at all, they really wont ask you about that, but in case they do just BS it a bit, not that hard:wink:
Reply 14
Original post by dan11h
yeah, i understand
thanks

No problem :smile:
You could also mention that working there has enabled you to be able to manage your time efficiently, balancing the charity work with school work
Reply 16
Original post by bigwang
In that case it's no problem at all, they really wont ask you about that, but in case they do just BS it a bit, not that hard:wink:

yeah, thanks a lot.
appreciated :smile:
Reply 17
are you currently in year 13 or no? because i have another question
Reply 18
Original post by dan11h
subject is accounting and finance
thanks

Could say you were able to grasp an understanding of the charities commercial side while working there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending