The Student Room Group

The Crown on Netflix

Has anyone been watching? I'm up to episode 4 now I think. Think it's utterly brilliant, better than The Young Pope and West World, which are also good.

What do you think?
Original post by Captain Jack
Has anyone been watching? I'm up to episode 4 now I think. Think it's utterly brilliant, better than The Young Pope and West World, which are also good.

What do you think?

What is it about and on a scale of 1-10 10 being really good how much would you recommend it?
Haven't seen it but Matt Smith being in it is what makes me want to watch it.

You're saying it's better than Westworld (a favourite of mine currently) so I'll compell myself to see it sooner.
I'm really enjoying it as well. I haven't seen The Young Pope yet, but I'm looking forward to it
Original post by Illimitable
What is it about and on a scale of 1-10 10 being really good how much would you recommend it?

Episodes 1 - 2 are a 10/10. It's dropped to about a 8/10 again but I have high hopes.
Episodes 1 - 2 are a 10/10. It's dropped to about a 8/10 again but I have high hopes.

Thank you. I'll give it a go! :smile:
I'm really enjoying it! Very House of Cards-y. Long live the Netflix original I say!
OMG, we are ploughing through the episodes, it's so good.

What do you think?

Yes! It's a well made series. I'm not sure it's quite as good as the huge budget and media fuss about it merits though. It's like one of those well made BBC docudramas set about the abdication, the war, or similar. It's terribly well acted.

It seems to be a bit lacking in historical credibility at times and it has a US-centric viewpoint of events here, for example, it emphasises the role of ex-king Edward VIII, due to his marriage to an American I suspect - it seems to suggest that he for example proposed the Mountbatten name be dropped in favour of Windsor - which none of the sources support.
It's sooo good. I'm up to episode 9, hoping to finish today. I think the later episodes are just :love:
I binged it's entirety in the first weekend. Very watchable. Enjoyed it immensely.

Thought John Lithgow was good if somewhat unexpected as Churchill, though his accent dropped once or twice. That was weird.

And couldn't help but think that Alex Jennings was doing an impersonation of Prince Charles rather than acting as the Duke of Windsor.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes! It's a well made series. I'm not sure it's quite as good as the huge budget and media fuss about it merits though.

Agree with that, definitely the impression I got from watching it.
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
I binged it's entirety in the first weekend. Very watchable. Enjoyed it immensely.

Thought John Lithgow was good if somewhat unexpected as Churchill, though his accent dropped once or twice. That was weird.

And couldn't help but think that Alex Jennings was doing an impersonation of Prince Charles rather than acting as the Duke of Windsor.

Agree with that, definitely the impression I got from watching it.

Did you see The Queen? Alex Jennings played Charles in that and it's really hard to get that out of your head having seen the movie. I just can't take him completely seriously as the Duke of Windsor.

Matt Smith didn't start all that well, but he really gets into it (cleverly impersonating some of the Duke of Edinburgh's mannerisms) and now I'm deeper in, I think he's brilliant, as is Claire Foy, although to my mind she doesn't quite come across with the actual Queen's hauteur. Helen Mirren showed her immense experience in The Queen and was able to carry it off better.
Did you see The Queen? Alex Jennings played Charles in that and it's really hard to get that out of your head having seen the movie. I just can't take him completely seriously as the Duke of Windsor.

Matt Smith didn't start all that well, but he really gets into it (cleverly impersonating some of the Duke of Edinburgh's mannerisms) and now I'm deeper in, I think he's brilliant, as is Claire Foy, although to my mind she doesn't quite come across with the actual Queen's hauteur. Helen Mirren showed her immense experience in The Queen and was able to carry it off better.

Yeah, that was exactly what I had in my head. Just seemed an odd choice for him.

But after having watched The King's Speech I kept on being disappointed that I wasn't watching Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth.

Matt Smith did well. It's the walk that did it, he's nailed that physicality.

Ben Miller was surprisingly good too.

Whether it will work to have two actresses playing the queen, I do not know.

Anna Neagle played Queen Victoria on film from 18 to 77 when she was around 34 and Annette Crosby also played her on television from 21 to 81 when she was 43.

Clare Foy is 32 and is playing Princess Elizabeth from 21 until, well it isn't quite clear when another actress will take over.
Original post by nulli tertius
Whether it will work to have two actresses playing the queen, I do not know.

Anna Neagle played Queen Victoria on film from 18 to 77 when she was around 34 and Annette Crosby also played her on television from 21 to 81 when she was 43.

Clare Foy is 32 and is playing Princess Elizabeth from 21 until, well it isn't quite clear when another actress will take over.

Is that confirmed?

Helen Mirren managed to do the whole spectrum of ages of HM in The Audience, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one actress could do the lot.
Original post by Drewski
Is that confirmed?

Helen Mirren managed to do the whole spectrum of ages of HM in The Audience, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one actress could do the lot.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a812828/the-crown-will-replace-matt-smith-claire-foy-and-its-entire-cast-after-two-seasons/

It strikes me as a little barmy myself.

Princess Margaret, the DofE, the Queen Mother, Dickie Mountbatten and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are also in for the long haul. What do you do about the whole raft of politicians who will come in for the sixties in series 2 and still be hanging around for the 70s?

It looks like they are going to "break" the series a little after the middle of each decade which would be dramatically correct, so that Macmillan and de-colonisation (and the Macmillan-Kennedy relationship for US sales) can be taken in series 2. Whether they end with Profumo or go on to the White Heat of Technology, I don't know. That leaves Prince Charles' growth to manhood and the Investiture for series 3. I suspect series 3 will end with Mountbatten's murder. Maggie can then be series 4.
Original post by nulli tertius
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a812828/the-crown-will-replace-matt-smith-claire-foy-and-its-entire-cast-after-two-seasons/

It strikes me as a little barmy myself.

Princess Margaret, the DofE, the Queen Mother, Dickie Mountbatten and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are also in for the long haul. What do you do about the whole raft of politicians who will come in for the sixties in series 2 and still be hanging around for the 70s?

It looks like they are going to "break" the series a little after the middle of each decade which would be dramatically correct, so that Macmillan and de-colonisation (and the Macmillan-Kennedy relationship for US sales) can be taken in series 2. Whether they end with Profumo or go on to the White Heat of Technology, I don't know. That leaves Prince Charles' growth to manhood and the Investiture for series 3. I suspect series 3 will end with Mountbatten's murder. Maggie can then be series 4.

It will be interesting to see who they get to play Wilson and Heath and so on and how they portray them?

I thought they overdid the drug taking theme with Eden and also simplified his character a lot - he was a more serious and charismatic figure than Northam played him in real life I think, at least judging from what people said about him and the clips of him talking, etc. The interactions with Nasser stuff was well done and intriguing.

I'm starting to feel bored of the Duke of Edinburgh now - when is he going to stop whinging? :teehee: Was he really that bad in real life? Seems implausible.

Lots of interesting stuff about horses and their breeding. :clap2: Not enough yet about corgis. :giggle:
Oh and I found the Graham Sutherland scenes really touching and moving.
Reply 19
I loved it, and can't wait until season 2. :love:

Quick Reply

Latest