The Student Room Group

Question About The CSAT

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by softdevvotime
Is it recommended to do some sort of preparation for the CSAT and if so, where's best to start/what would be advisable?

The sample paper... https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

Thanks, I'll take a gander at some point. Anything else that'd be advisable to look at also, or is not much more prep really needed?
Reply 3
Thanks, I'll take a gander at some point. Anything else that'd be advisable to look at also, or is not much more prep really needed?

That page also gives you tips on preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
That page also gives you tips on preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, I stopped being lazy and actually read the page. =P Might make use of some of those resources then (I'm assuming if I do around 2 hours per week of prep/practice until potential interview next month that'll be sufficient? I don't want to overdo it or waste my time particularly as Cambridge isn't my first choice uni). I've done UKMT (Senior Kangaroo etc.) and BMO competitions at school and seem to do fairly well in those; may look at a bit of MAT and STEP too (which I appreciate are tough!). Thanks again!
Reply 5
Cheers, I stopped being lazy and actually read the page. =P Might make use of some of those resources then (I'm assuming if I do around 2 hours per week of prep/practice until potential interview next month that'll be sufficient? I don't want to overdo it or waste my time particularly as Cambridge isn't my first choice uni). I've done UKMT (Senior Kangaroo etc.) and BMO competitions at school and seem to do fairly well in those; may look at a bit of MAT and STEP too (which I appreciate are tough!). Thanks again!

I'm not a CompSci expert.

Ask the guys here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3608599
CSAT For Computer Science Undergrad Admissions 2016 Entry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take it from one who knows - the absolute best preparation is Question 5 from each Oxford MAT paper. In fact, the CSAT paper I did last year (apparently there were four different variants, yet none of them have been published) had a question very similar to Q5 from the 2012 MAT.
Is it recommended to do some sort of preparation for the CSAT and if so, where's best to start/what would be advisable?

I did it last year (and got in). If you've done the BMO you will be in a very strong position. I think the most useful things you can do to prepare are the sample test, UKMT/BMO, the MAT, and Project Euler (if you have some programming experience). It's also worth making sure you are on top of all your AS Maths/Further Maths (although I doubt that will be necessary if you did the BMO) and possibly looking ahead at some A2 stuff (C3, C4, FP2). It is worth spending some time preparing, but you don't need to put in loads of work. My other advice would be to not worry if the real thing turns out to be quite a bit harder than the sample paper (that happened last year). You don't need to answer that many questions to be in a good position relatively speaking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending