The Student Room Group

I am predicted ACC is it possible for me to still get accepted into law?

majority of unis require BBB or ABB to study law. however my predicted grades do not meet up to it:frown:
will i still receive offers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Law is one of the most competitive University subjects. They do not need to look at anyone below the admissions requirements, With two C grades you will just get straight rejections.

You have three choices :
1) Forget UCAS this year and work your butt off for A/B grades this year, and apply next year with known grades.
2) Apply to Unis asking for points not grades.
3) Apply for other subject like Criminology, Legal Studies etc
All of the above. Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Law is one of the most competitive University subjects. They do not need to look at anyone below the admissions requirements, With two C grades you will just get straight rejections.

You have three choices :
1) Forget UCAS this year and work your butt off for A/B grades this year, and apply next year with known grades.
2) Apply to Unis asking for points not grades.
3) Apply for other subject like Criminology, Legal Studies etc

ah okay:frown: thanks for this information!
I am set on applying this year and really want to study law, however I will try and look at uni that require points instead.
do you know any good Unis that require points instead of grades?
thanks.
Original post by 2k16
majority of unis require BBB or ABB to study law. however my predicted grades do not meet up to it:frown:
will i still receive offers?

Law degrees being highly competitive, it doesn't look good.
You can get into the profession with another degree and a Graduate Diploma in Law, so there are options to look at - but you'd have to finance that yourself
Maybe you should also look a little bit further down the track as well.
I'm given to understand that there are a sight more law graduates than there are training places with solicitors firms. That means a lot of law graduates who are never going to get to be lawyers. They can afford to be ultra picky in a buyers market, would your CV stand up to that sort of scrutiny?
Maybe time to have a bit of a rethink as to whether law is actually for you.
Original post by 2k16

do you know any good Unis that require points instead of grades?
thanks.

Check on whatuni.com - you can filter choices with your expected UCAS points
(but you should still check the grades and GCSEc etc and the course details on each Uni webite before you apply!)
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
Check on whatuni.com - you can filter choices with your expected UCAS points
(but you should still check the grades and GCSEc etc and the course details on each Uni webite before you apply!)

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Ringstone
Law degrees being highly competitive, it doesn't look good.
You can get into the profession with another degree and a Graduate Diploma in Law, so there are options to look at - but you'd have to finance that yourself
Maybe you should also look a little bit further down the track as well.
I'm given to understand that there are a sight more law graduates than there are training places with solicitors firms. That means a lot of law graduates who are never going to get to be lawyers. They can afford to be ultra picky in a buyers market, would your CV stand up to that sort of scrutiny?
Maybe time to have a bit of a rethink as to whether law is actually for you.

I agree with the above . Not only is it competitive at Uni , securing a Training Contract can take a few years . With regards to University , you would really need to work towards a 1st and make sure you did as much work experience / open days etc as possible to make your CV stand out . A lot of the top law firms filter out at AAB 'A' Level so you would have to aim a bit lower ie - High St firms . Also a lot of firms intake comprise of up 50% non - law graduates . It really takes a lot of patience and determination starting when you begin University .
Reply 8
Original post by Albcat28
I agree with the above . Not only is it competitive at Uni , securing a Training Contract can take a few years . With regards to University , you would really need to work towards a 1st and make sure you did as much work experience / open days etc as possible to make your CV stand out . A lot of the top law firms filter out at AAB 'A' Level so you would have to aim a bit lower ie - High St firms . Also a lot of firms intake comprise of up 50% non - law graduates . It really takes a lot of patience and determination starting when you begin University .

I understand, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending