The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain wine to me?

All my friends rave about how much they love wine. Like typical students they drink it by the truckload. "OMG I LOOOVE WINE BLAH BLAH" to me, wine just tastes like ethanol mixed with acetic acid.

I can tolerate a red wine like a malbec or merlot occasionally, when I'm in the mood. But I never crave it and I never drink it thinking "YUMMMM THIS IS GOOD".
I didn't grow up in a household that drinks so I thought perhaps it's because I haven't had all those extra years of developing an acquired taste before I turned 18, compared to other people.
Or perhaps I'm just not splashing out on the right sort of wine. (The most I've ever spent on a bottle of wine is £10)

I much prefer gin, whiskey, rum, even a bit of tastefully presented absinthe on occasion.

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of wine? Why do people love it so much? How can I make myself like it more?
Reply 1
I genuinely feel exactly the same. I do not get the appeal of wine, I can drink it but it is in no way one of my preferred drinks.

I think most adults like a few glasses because it's a way of getting drunk whilst seeming classy (like drinkin a Long Island Ice Tea).

And most wine is ridiculously overpriced, if you pay more than £10 for a bottle you are very silly.
Original post by Inexorably
I genuinely feel exactly the same. I do not get the appeal of wine, I can drink it but it is in no way one of my preferred drinks.

I think most adults like a few glasses because it's a way of getting drunk whilst seeming classy (like drinkin a Long Island Ice Tea).

And most wine is ridiculously overpriced, if you pay more than £10 for a bottle you are very silly.

Nice to know that I'm not alone.

I mentioned the price because when I confessed to one of my friends how I secretly feel about wine, they just said "that's just because you probably haven't tried a good quality posh wine"
Nothing much to explain. It is what it is and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

I do think you need to give it time though, for say a year, if you are new to it. The taste does take time to develop. Try different wine but there is no point spending over a tenner because you probably won't appreciate fine wine more than the cheap stuff.
Original post by Sternumator
Nothing much to explain. It is what it is and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

I do think you need to give it time though, for say a year, if you are new to it. The taste does take time to develop. Try different wine but there is no point spending over a tenner because you probably won't appreciate fine wine more than the cheap stuff.

I've had it for 4 years now. I can appreciate / tolerate some kind of reds when im in the mood. But other times they just taste like vinegar and make me feel sick!
nounnoun: wine; plural noun: wines

1.an alcoholic drink made from fermented grape juice."he opened a bottle of red wine"synonyms:vin de table, vin ordinaire, vin du pays; More

an alcoholic drink made from the fermented juice of specified other fruits or plants."a glass of elderflower wine"

short for wine red."a wine-coloured suit"

verbverb: wine; 3rd person present: wines; past tense: wined; past participle: wined; gerund or present participle: wining

1.entertain someone by offering them drinks and a meal."members of Congress have been lavishly wined and dined by lobbyists for years"

enjoy oneself by eating and drinking lavishly."we wined and dined with Bernard's friends"

Ask and ye shall receive.
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
nounnoun: wine; plural noun: wines

verbverb: wine; 3rd person present: wines; past tense: wined; past participle: wined; gerund or present participle: wining

Ask and ye shall receive.

Very clever, but you only answered one of the questions in my post. There are others that need answering too.
Original post by Bezoar
Very clever, but you only answered one of the questions in my post. There are others that need answering too.

I only looked at the title question...
I'm not a fan of wine either. I have had some very nice ones though, but 99% of it disappoints, including expensive wine. I do generally like Gewürztraminer and Sancerre, but reds are more difficult. I had some very nice reds from Burgandy, but it's difficult to find abroad - it may be the actual wine, or how it's been kept.

Wine can get expensive, so I wouldn't worry about not 'getting' it. I'm a bit like that with most art too.
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
I only looked at the title question...

Original post by Bezoar

Actually it's not obvious. If you divide the circumference by the inter-quartile range, then you get jelly beans. Lots of em'.
Simple answer is you either like it or not, for the same reason some people like beer or not (I don't).
I do like wine, but that's because I tried pretty much all sorts of wine and over the years I've learnt how to appreciate its taste. I probably couldn't drink it like I drink jager or rum or whiskey as you really have to take a sip and swirl it around your mouth blah blah and try to distinguish between different tastes and etc. but some people just don't like it. I love wine and I usually have a glass or two with an evening meal, but it took me a while to get to know it and which ones I particularly like (earthy scents, wild herb tones in white and nuanced, subtle aromas in red).
Just look up wine tasting methods and you might start to like it if you do it right

Quick Reply

Latest