The Student Room Group

Is sociology Alevel seen as a 'soft subject' to universities?

whats your opinions?
Is it looked down on?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes it is to most uni's but if you love it, then do it
depends on what uni course you want to do tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by Han-Mingi
Yes it is to most uni's but if you love it, then do it

Is it looked down on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by goal101
whats your opinions?
Is it looked down on?

No absolutely not, all unis will accept sociology as long as you do well on it. However your a level choices must be relevant to the degree you want to do. I mean if you want to do something math based or science etc they will obv not accept sociology. However if you're doing something essay based sociology is the perfect a level and it is absolutely not looked down upon.
I have done sociology in a level and finished with an A grade and I'm currently in UCL (one of londons top unis) so what I'm trying to say is as long as you do well it doesn't matter :smile:

Also what are your other a level subjects and what are you thinking to become?
Reply 5
The term "soft subject" (which is stupid) refers to how facilitating it is with other subjects at universities. Hence why Sociology is normally seen as a soft subject if you wanted to do something like English Literature or Languages etc. but if you do Sociology, enjoy it and want to progress to it at uni there's no harm in doing that.

I have an A Level in Sociology and I'm finishing A2 German and A2 Philosophy and I've received offers from 4/5 unis so far; believe me, it makes next to no difference unless you're aiming for some elitist **** like Oxbridge.
Reply 6
Original post by Inexorably
unless you're aiming for some elitist **** like Oxbridge.

It's fine there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
It's fine there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, legit did not expect that. Thanks! :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Inexorably
Ah right, legit did not expect that. Thanks! :-)

Even at a more "fussy" college like Trinity :smile:
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
whats your opinions?
Is it looked down on?

It's on LSEs preferred list: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx#Informationforallapplicants
It's on UCLs preferred list: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/preferred-a-level-subjects
It's on Sheffield's preferred list: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/alevel

It's on Cambridge's list of preferred subjects for Arts and Social Science courses: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/subjectmatters.pdf

Oxford say "Providing that any specific subject requirements have been met, all A-levels are approved for admissions purposes, with the exception of General Studies." so fine for them too https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1
It depends on what you want to study and where. As PQ said, it's a preferred subject for the likes of LSE and UCL, but if you want to do biology it's unlikely to be seen as worth it.
However, if you enjoy it and have no necessary a-levels for your degree or career, then do it! I'm studying it at university and I love it.
Reply 11
Original post by smegsxo
It depends on what you want to study and where. As PQ said, it's a preferred subject for the likes of LSE and UCL, but if you want to do biology it's unlikely to be seen as worth it.
However, if you enjoy it and have no necessary a-levels for your degree or career, then do it! I'm studying it at university and I love it.

I'm doing Biology psychology and sociology at Alevel I thought I picked. A good combination
Reply 12
Original post by smegsxo

If you want to do Biology then having Biology plus Sociology is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
If you want to do Biology then having Biology plus Sociology is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by goal101
I'm doing Biology psychology and sociology at Alevel I thought I picked. A good combination

I wasn't saying it wasn't a good combination, just that if you want to follow a sciences route for university then sciences and maths are going to be seen as better subjects by most. Obviously sociology will still be accepted, but it may not be looked on as favourably by some as say maths or chemistry.
I did Biology, Psychology and Sociology at AS (and the last two at A2 as well as History) and can say that they are good picks, they work well and interlink with each other :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by smegsxo
I wasn't saying it wasn't a good combination, just that if you want to follow a sciences route for university then sciences and maths are going to be seen as better subjects by most. Obviously sociology will still be accepted, but it may not be looked on as favourably by some as say maths or chemistry.
I did Biology, Psychology and Sociology at AS (and the last two at A2 as well as History) and can say that they are good picks, they work well and interlink with each other :smile:

Ahahha don't worry sorry :tongue: I didn't mean to say it in a rude way I'm just wondering that's all what others think! And I only picked sociology because I couldn't do chemistry and I want to go into the medical field

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by goal101
Ahahha don't worry sorry :tongue: I didn't mean to say it in a rude way I'm just wondering that's all what others think! And I only picked sociology because I couldn't do chemistry and I want to go into the medical field

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it's a shame you couldn't do chemistry if that's what you wanted. I think your subjects are good though and I wish you the best of luck! (I do love sociology though, good pick and I hope you enjoy it too :wink:)
Original post by goal101
Is it looked down on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people have their own opinions and I don't think it should be looked down on if it is. But soft subjects aren't looked down on as such it's just a different pathway to subjects like engineering, maths, sciences, medicine, law etc
I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology and Sociology is by far the driest, most boring, dull and frankly "fake" subject there is. It's based on peoples' opinions and the whole subject is just this person thinks this..... but this person thinks that. Psychology and biology i enjoy learning and revising but sociology is just a drga and I'll be happy to get a C in it once i finish A2 because I just don't get it at all.
Reply 18
If you want to enter the field of Maths, Natural Sciences, Engineering etc., then sociology probably isn't a strong subject. But if you are planning to study a degree in Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences subjects, then sociology is a good subject.
Reply 19
Original post by Rigby16
I do Biology, Psychology and Sociology and Sociology is by far the driest, most boring, dull and frankly "fake" subject there is. It's based on peoples' opinions and the whole subject is just this person thinks this..... but this person thinks that. Psychology and biology i enjoy learning and revising but sociology is just a drga and I'll be happy to get a C in it once i finish A2 because I just don't get it at all.

LOOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending