The Student Room Group

Brexit and Indian migrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diego Costa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population Well the line about India and northerners is nonsense. Also I'm sceptical as to what benefits you think unrestricted immigration from third world countries will bring.

Its not nonsense, their grammar and technical understanding of English is better than the average joe. Dont care if its not beneficial to us, you cant rape a country bare and then expect the victim to not try to at the very least earn that money back. But as it happens I think Britain does benefit from them, at the lower end of the labour market Indians have a more manageable temperament for working with than chavs and at the professional end they have better STEM ability than most of us as well, especially compared with our youth.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BeyondAnjem
Its not nonsense, their grammar and technical understanding of English is better than the average joe. Dont care if its not beneficial to us, you cant rape a country bare and then expect the victim to not try to at the very least earn that money back. But as it happens I think Britain does benefit from them, at the lower end of the labour market Indians have a more manageable temperament for working with than chavs and at the professional end they have better STEM ability than most of us as well, especially compared with our youth.

Of 12% of them lol.

Even if only the Indians who speak English are permitted to move to the UK, that leaves 125m people coming over which is double the population. People throw the "England's overcrowded" card out a lot, but that's ridiculous.

Accepting unskilled immigrants as you imply would be the plan would just cause HUGE wage compression on the manual labour industry and hence crush the working class. It's okay for (largely) middle class students to say it's fine but we wouldn't be that affected.

Idealist
Original post by 0to100
Exactly. Because I did not vote to Leave on racist motives. Pseudo-liberals only fall for Leave being racist.

In fact, the Remain camp in the long term is what's racist.

Many of the black people I know were for Leave because Remaining would keep enabling Europeans, who probably aren't even worth a damn in the long run.

I'm all for British citizens, black, white, brown, whatever.

Well thats good to know- my response was to the op original post which mentioned race, im not saying it is everyone's main prerogative.
Original post by Forget that
Well thats good to know- my response was to the op original post which mentioned race, im not saying it is everyone's main prerogative.

Ok.
Original post by FaceofAnonymity
So you are willing to prevent millions of English uni students from becoming doctors and nurses, or even worse - making it unnecessary for the British government to fund this important education for our own people, just for cheap labour from abroad?

No point having a great civilisation when you no longer exist to enjoy the fruit.

English uni students? You mean British?

And what you seem to be ignorant towards is that we lack certain access to skills in this country.

That Romanian car washer isn't going to teach a British student how to perform open heart surgery, or how to create new technology.

You don't understand the leave voters predicament here... these are the lowest earners of the whole UK the ones being priced out of low skilled labour and being replaced with Europeans who will shut up and work without moaning.

Cheap labour is great if you have enough demand and believe that trickle down theory works.

If we have a skill gap then yes I welcome foreign workers to fill that gap and provide assistance in knowledge sharing to our people so that we can grow that skills base in the population.

The thing with being out of the eu is we can adjust our immigration policy to suit the needs of the country. The eu is the thing holding us back from needing to skill up our workforce.
Original post by AccountingBabe
English uni students? You mean British?

And what you seem to be ignorant towards is that we lack certain access to skills in this country.

That Romanian car washer isn't going to teach a British student how to perform open heart surgery, or how to create new technology.

You don't understand the leave voters predicament here... these are the lowest earners of the whole UK the ones being priced out of low skilled labour and being replaced with Europeans who will shut up and work without moaning.

Cheap labour is great if you have enough demand and believe that trickle down theory works.

If we have a skill gap then yes I welcome foreign workers to fill that gap and provide assistance in knowledge sharing to our people so that we can grow that skills base in the population.

The thing with being out of the eu is we can adjust our immigration policy to suit the needs of the country. The eu is the thing holding us back from needing to skill up our workforce.

Weird. It's as if you twisted what I said and actually agree with me, with a confrontational spin. The only thing we disagree on is that skill gaps exist for a reason. Mass immigration.

With the ability to bring in foreign doctors and others in the medical world, you create a vacuum. These doctors are cheaper for the government to employ because, wait for it, university is expensive.

Why is trickle down economics relevant to this discussion? You are depriving a wage packet and opportunity to a native Briton by outsourcing the job. That knowledge and wealth becomes nothing more than a power transfer at that point. Of course now what we have is mass immigration on both fronts: the doctors are Indian and the car cleaners are Lithuanian. The natives are now bottlenecked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending