The Student Room Group

Is this the end of saudi arabia?

Saudi arabia enjoyed a close relationship with the US, as well as Turkey. Clinton received some pretty big donations to her foundations from saudi-arabian oligarchs and rich sheikhs.

Now Trump has come in and wreaked havoc into establishment plans for the ME.

Will trump do what he said, and be harsher on Saudi-Arabia? Or will he recognise the importance of Saudi-Arabia, in the protection of American interests, power, hegemony in the ME?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It all depends on Israel's agenda and what they deem fit
It won't be trump that starts yet another US- Middle East war. It'll be the next 9/11 (read: terror attack on the United states)
Reply 3
Original post by Results
It all depends on Israel's agenda and what they deem fit

fair point
Reply 4
TRUMP is a businessman.

What do businessmen like?

Why does everyone act like trump won't be the same greedy puppet in the oval.
Original post by Tawheed
Saudi arabia enjoyed a close relationship with the US, as well as Turkey. Clinton received some pretty big donations to her foundations from saudi-arabian oligarchs and rich sheikhs.

Now Trump has come in and wreaked havoc into establishment plans for the ME.

Will trump do what he said, and be harsher on Saudi-Arabia? Or will he recognise the importance of Saudi-Arabia, in the protection of American interests, power, hegemony in the ME?

Whilst I am no fan of Trump, if one good thing could come from his presidency, it would be a change in attitudes towards Saudi Arabia. It is a pariah state and more pressure needs to be put on Saudi Arabia and hold it accountable for its numerous human rights abuses.
Oh no
Saudi Arabia
with its abysmal human rights record
a misogynistic society
completely trapping the citizens away from any chance of freedom and equality
how u will be missed :frown:

If Trump can do anything right, he can at least start severing any links with this horrific country.
Reply 7
Original post by The Epicurean
Whilst I am no fan of Trump, if one good thing could come from his presidency, it would be a change in attitudes towards Saudi Arabia. It is a pariah state and more pressure needs to be put on Saudi Arabia and hold it accountable for its numerous human rights abuses.

The consensus in the Middle East and North Africa is that Saudi Arabia is more conservative than their neighbours and is not a pariah state.

Recently Saudi managed to keep their human rights council seat, after bombing Yemeni civillians for 18 months. They have always been pressured yet nothing has really changed. Saudi is a key ally in the middle east and I'm sure the last thing Trump wants to do is damage their relations with them. Even if he did, he would just be encouraging more instability in the region.

Only the UN can do something, not Trump alone.
Original post by AAls
The consensus in the Middle East and North Africa is that Saudi Arabia is more conservative than their neighbours and is not a pariah state.

Recently Saudi managed to keep their human rights council seat, after bombing Yemeni civillians for 18 months. They have always been pressured yet nothing has really changed. Saudi is a key ally in the middle east and I'm sure the last thing Trump wants to do is damage their relations with them. Even if he did, he would just be encouraging more instability in the region.

Saudi Arabia has been a strong supporter of Morocco's occupation of Western Sahara, which the African Union and much of Africa and North Africa oppose. So Saudi Arabia doesn't have unconditional support from all North African nations. And with African states like Nigeria and Ethiopia undergoing huge growth, and sub-saharan African having a population boom, I don't think it should be taken as a given that North Africa will not change its alliances.

Trump cannot solve Saudi Arabia's human rights issues, but he can get the pin rolling. If he were to speak up an take a tough stance, there is no doubt other nations would follow.
Reply 9
Original post by The Epicurean

Aren't they on the chair of the UN Human rights council, despite their savagery on Yemen ?
It is an interesting question, the fact this awful country even exists is enough to remove my confidence in Clinton let alone that she is getting donations from it.

Relations with Israel will still be strong, which means relations with Iran will be weak, however improved relations with Russia might go either way, it could damage our relations with Turkey and other important ME countries, as well as countries in the Balkans, it could improve our relations with Iran (as Russia might apply pressure on them). We know the Russians are pretty scared of the Chinese, so they should be natural allies with the Japanese against a rising Chinese state.

To return to the original question, SA exists because of its oil reserves and convenience, if you remove the need for it to exist it will fall.
Original post by AAls

The UN has no real power. Trump has an extremely large military and economy at his disposal, this is what matters, not a bunch of professional talkers who do nothing but point out the obvious.
Original post by Mr Gumbil
It is an interesting question, the fact this awful country even exists is enough to remove my confidence in Clinton let alone that she is getting donations from it.

Relations with Israel will still be strong, which means relations with Iran will be weak, however improved relations with Russia might go either way, it could damage our relations with Turkey and other important ME countries, as well as countries in the Balkans, it could improve our relations with Iran (as Russia might apply pressure on them). We know the Russians are pretty scared of the Chinese, so they should be natural allies with the Japanese against a rising Chinese state.

To return to the original question, SA exists because of its oil reserves and convenience, if you remove the need for it to exist it will fall.

You know nothing.

Spoiler

Original post by cbreef
You know nothing.

Spoiler

Wot lol

Turkey and Russia rivalry goes back centuries and heats up everytime one of them gets pissy over the Balkans. Only country that likes Russia is Serbia.
Reply 14
It amazes me that when the whites ruled in South Africa everyone cut them off because of apartheid yet a country like Saudi Arabia which is directly responsible for millions of deaths and carries out abuse on residents and visitors every day is treated by most countries like a best friend. Oil and money turns a lot of blind eyes and deaf ears. I hope that Trump shuns Saudi and persuades other countries to do so.
Wot lol

Turkey and Russia rivalry goes back centuries and heats up everytime one of them gets pissy over the Balkans. Only country that likes Russia is Serbia.

And as of late they have restored relations...
Original post by cbreef
And as of late they have restored relations...

That'll last about ten minutes.
That'll last about ten minutes.

Putin and Erdogan have a lot in common *cough* dictators *cough*
Original post by cbreef
Putin and Erdogan have a lot in common *cough* dictators *cough*

So did Hitler and Stalin.

No matter how friendly they are, their geographical and cultural interests are completely opposed. Erdogan is an Islamist, Putin an Orthodox Slav, the Balkans has always been the fighting ground. Two dictators going at it is precisely the issue.
So did Hitler and Stalin.

No matter how friendly they are, their geographical and cultural interests are completely opposed. Erdogan is an Islamist, Putin an Orthodox Slav, the Balkans has always been the fighting ground. Two dictators going at it is precisely the issue.

This is 2016. Money beats war. They'll keep amicable relations as long as it's profitable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending