The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mechanics 1

Seem to be struggling with this question, could anyone help out?
The centre of mass of a non-uniform beam AB, of weight W and length 4m, is at the point G. The beam rests horizontally on two supports X and Y, where AX = 1m and YB = 2m.
A weight W/4 is suspended from the beam at B. Given that the magnitude of the force exerted on the beam by support Y is three times the magnitude of the force exerted on the beam by support X, calculate the distance AG.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Rashina
Seem to be struggling with this question, could anyone help out?
The centre of mass of a non-uniform beam AB, of weight W and length 4m, is at the point G. The beam rests horizontally on two supports X and Y, where AX = 1m and YB = 2m.
A weight W/4 is suspended from the beam at B. Given that the magnitude of the force exerted on the beam by support Y is three times the magnitude of the force exerted on the beam by support X, calculate the distance AG.

Thanks

What have you tried? Post your working.
Where did you get this question from?
Reply 3
Original post by Keira Larkin
Where did you get this question from?

Why are you asking?
Original post by Rashina
Why are you asking?

Oh I just thought I might be able to find a worked solution if it is from the textbook. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by notnek
What have you tried? Post your working.

I don't even have an idea of how to do it. Explain me how to do it and I will figure it out.
Reply 6
Oh I just thought I might be able to find a worked solution if it is from the textbook. :smile:

Its from a revision guide which does not have any solution banks or worked solutions.
I got these equations so far:

W + W/4 = x + 3x
2W/4 + x = W*z
W(1-z) + 3W/4 = 3x

z is the distance between support y and the centre of mass
Original post by Rashina
Its from a revision guide which does not have any solution banks or worked solutions.

Oh okay.
Reply 9
Oh okay.

Anyway thanks for trying to help me
Original post by Rashina
Anyway thanks for trying to help me

Well, now I want to know how to solve this as well. There are too many variables in my equations. Have you made any progress?
Reply 11
Well, now I want to know how to solve this as well. There are too many variables in my equations. Have you made any progress?

just calculated the resultant force upwards:
R+3R=(W+W/4)g
Wg= 16x/5
Original post by Rashina
just calculated the resultant force upwards:
R+3R=(W+W/4)g
Wg= 16x/5

Is the answer 1.1875m?

WORKING:

So I don't think you multiply W by g because W is weight, which is a force. Therefore, W= 16x/5
Take moments about A to give the equation:
x + (2 * 3x) = Wz + W
7x = W * (z + 1)
7x = 16x/5 (z + 1)
7x * 5/16x = (z + 1)
19/16 = z
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Is the answer 1.1875m?

Yes! How did you find it?
Original post by Rashina
Yes! How did you find it?

Does your textbook say the answer is 1.1875?
Reply 15
Does your textbook say the answer is 1.1875?

The book only has final answers so I found this answer on the book. How did you find it?
Basically, the trick was not to take moments about support x or y. I took the moments about point A. Obviously not B because there is a force acting on point B. Refer to the second worked example in the M1 textbook in the section about non uniform planks.

When I do tricky moment questions, I just try taking moments about a point and if that doesn't work, I try another point.
Is the answer 1.1875m?

WORKING:

So I don't think you multiply W by g because W is weight, which is a force. Therefore, W= 16x/5
Take moments about A to give the equation:
x + (2 * 3x) = Wz + W
7x = W * (z + 1)
7x = 16x/5 (z + 1)
7x * 5/16x = (z + 1)
19/16 = z

I wrote the working.
Reply 18
I wrote the working.

Thanks a lot for helping me.
Original post by Rashina