The Student Room Group

Trump & Brexit is what happens when you smear all who disagree as racist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damien96
Pot, meet kettle.

I found it hard to get past "Learn what fallacy is please" when you assumed I voted for Trump, I didn't, as I'm not American and I hate the man with a passion.

You should feel a little silly now for the rest of the rant and learn how assuming a person's position based on zero evidence leads to embarrassment.

Well done for angaging in Godwin's Law though, it's always a good way to end a conversation when someone misses the point.

I didn't assume you voted for anyone nor that you're American but w/e.
Is this a why did the chicken cross the road type of joke?

No. I genuinely don't get why this is.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
:rofl::rofl:
Hahahaha! You're exactly why Trump won, I hope you're pleased with yourself, dumbass.:biggrin:

"You're exactly why Trump won"

K.
Reply 43
Original post by yudothis
And your post is exactly the type of ignorance and bias that pervades Trump/Brexit.

Oooh "I guarantee it, make America great again, ohhhh jobs for America" - not like the people already having three jobs need more jobs rather than higher salaries.

Please point to where I said anything about those topics.

If you want a rational discussion, I would suggest you don't start one in such a patronising tone. I suspect we agree on a lot of things, such as the tangent you just went off on.
Reply 44
Original post by Trinculo
No. I genuinely don't get why this is.

The overtly racist rhetoric from some of the other side. The left's smugness does not deflect from the right's crimes in this election.

Unless you were making another point?
Reply 45
I can't understand people who say Trump's immigration plans are racist. Can someone explain to me why?
1. Building a wall is not racist - I agree that it is not the best way to do it and would probably be useless, but how is that racist? China has a wall. You have a wall for your house, don't you?
2. Deportations of all illegal immigrants - keyword here is illegal - your logic is distorted if you think ILLEGAL immigrants should be allowed and even granted amnesties. People who break the law should be punished. Illegal immigration undermines legitimate and lawful immigrants - if you don't deport them, you are 'racist' to LEGAL immigrants. I can't see how this is about race.
3. Move criminal aliens out - why wouldn't you want criminals out of your country?
4. Ban all Muslims from countries with history of terrorism - Islam is not a race. I agree this is a bit bigoted, but learn some lessons from other countries facing separating insurgencies - there are some groups that are clearly insoluble. If your country has an exception in its law based on religion, then your country has got an insoluble element that will one day precipitate - some groups should not be allowed to become a significant minority or else you are asking for a problem - this is about national security, not racism or bigotry.
The only real racist policies in the USA are affirmative actions supported by many Democrats.
Reply 46
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's funny, you have, incidentally, paraphrased comments I've just directed towards 'the powers that be' on TSR, who have repeatedly attempted to smear and silence me. The days of underhand bigoted ideologues pushing their perverse, propagandised pseudo-progressivism on the people, in an attempt to keep us cornered/caged, are surely numbered! :shakecane:

You are clearly right, but what will this be replaced by? The polarised discourse is heading towards further bigotry, not less. I hope I'm wrong but I have little hope the left can engage in genuine self-awareness at this point in history and the rise of the far right is truly frightening.
Reply 47
Original post by TastelessGum
I didn't assume you voted for anyone nor that you're American but w/e.

The Internet doesn't work like a conversation, you can go back and check.

"There's no guilt by association. I didn't say that you're a racist because both you and Duke vote for Trump. Learn what the fallacy is about please."
The overtly racist rhetoric from some of the other side. The left's smugness does not deflect from the right's crimes in this election.

Unless you were making another point?

I don't get why they would support the party of slavery over the party of emancipation. It's all over the place that memory of slavery and the injustice is so long and so ingrained- and yet 100 years is enough to just say "meh - that was just policy at the time"
Reply 49
Original post by Rek'Sa
I can't understand people who say Trump's immigration plans are racist. Can someone explain to me why?
1. Building a wall is not racist - I agree that it is not the best way to do it and would probably be useless, but how is that racist? China has a wall. You have a wall for your house, don't you?
2. Deportations of all illegal immigrants - keyword here is illegal - your logic is distorted if you think ILLEGAL immigrants should be allowed and even granted amnesties. People who break the law should be punished. Illegal immigration undermines legitimate and lawful immigrants - if you don't deport them, you are 'racist' to LEGAL immigrants. I can't see how this is about race.
3. Move criminal aliens out - why wouldn't you want criminals out of your country?
4. Ban all Muslims from countries with history of terrorism - Islam is not a race. I agree this is a bit bigoted, but learn some lessons from other countries facing separating insurgencies - there are some groups that are clearly insoluble. If your country has an exception in its law based on religion, then your country has got an insoluble element that will one day precipitate - some groups should not be allowed to become a significant minority or else you are asking for a problem - this is about national security, not racism or bigotry.
The only real racist policies in the USA are affirmative actions supported by many Democrats.

Trying to control your borders is not racist, claiming hordes of rapists and murderers are coming over is.

He is a huge hurdle to honest conversation, not a beacon of hope. A Frankenstein's monster created by both left and right.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its just white people being white tbh.

Can't find source lol, but similar here
https://www.surveymonkey.com/elections/map?poll=sm-lv-millennials-white-cps

Just black people being black tbh
Reply 51
I don't get why they would support the party of slavery over the party of emancipation. It's all over the place that memory of slavery and the injustice is so long and so ingrained- and yet 100 years is enough to just say "meh - that was just policy at the time"

I think bringing up the slave trade to criticise the Democrats is about as useful as bringing up the crusades to deflect criticism of Islam. Unless Clinton had slaves and Kaine called for succession it isn't relevant to 2016.
I think bringing up the slave trade to criticise the Democrats is about as useful as bringing up the crusades to deflect criticism of Islam. Unless Clinton had slaves and Kaine called for succession it isn't relevant to 2016.

So slavery is just history, is it?
Reply 53
So slavery is just history, is it?

Not just, but history, yes.
The Internet doesn't work like a conversation, you can go back and check.

"There's no guilt by association. I didn't say that you're a racist because both you and Duke vote for Trump. Learn what the fallacy is about please."

Yeah you can. Again, where did I say that you voted for Trump? rofl
Reply 55
Original post by TastelessGum
Yeah you can. Again, where did I say that you voted for Trump? rofl

"....because both you and Duke vote for Trump"

Let's zoom in further

"YOU and Duke vote for Trump"

"YOU - vote - Trump"

But feel free to retort that with lols Bertrand Russel
Reply 56
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

'Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.'

'There is a tide in the affairs of men....'

Two pertinent quotes from two great Britons.

I think you misquoted. I don't think Newton's third law applies here, I've tried drawing a force diagram and everything. Perhaps you meant to type this Newton quote instead?

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

And perhaps this quote from Shakespeare would be more apt?

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

And whilst we're on the subject of quotes, perhaps you're doing those two guys a huge disservice to use their life's works to try to lend credibility to a man who comes out with such gems as:

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”

and not to forget

"Grab 'em by the pussy."
Please point to where I said anything about those topics.

If you want a rational discussion, I would suggest you don't start one in such a patronising tone. I suspect we agree on a lot of things, such as the tangent you just went off on.

Your OP, I have already stated multiple times why it is logically flawed and what effect it does have.

Your inability to see that in the first place and now refusal to accept what I said, is more than enough evidence.

Yes maybe I am patronizing. But I think you are playing the victim card. You said something, I said that's wrong and you immediately feel patronized again. Because what you think is fact, which in reality is just opinion, is shown to be wrong but you feel personally attacked for it.

Not really my fault if so many people come up with so many wrong things. Brexiters and Trumpers have such a victim mentality. Such entitlement. And dare the person who questions that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by offhegoes
I think you misquoted. I don't think Newton's third law applies here, I've tried drawing a force diagram and everything. Perhaps you meant to type this Newton quote instead?

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

And perhaps this quote from Shakespeare would be more apt?

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

And whilst we're on the subject of quotes, perhaps you're doing those two guys a huge disservice to use their life's works to try to lend credibility to a man who comes out with such gems as:

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”

and not to forget

"Grab 'em by the pussy."

Well said but he is right in placing at least some of the blame on the left's discourse. This does not mean Trump is anything other than an abhorrent, weak bully, he's just the rational outcome of the polarisation of an indulgent left and a resentful right.
Reply 59
Trying to control your borders is not racist, claiming hordes of rapists and murderers are coming over is.

He is a huge hurdle to honest conversation, not a beacon of hope. A Frankenstein's monster created by both left and right.

Well, if you talk about Trump's remarks about Mexicans, not his policies, then I agree he is a nativist.
However, why exclude the 'racists' in an honest conversation? Races exist and some 'racist' comments are clearly legitimate and honest. When political correctness denies them into conversations, they go underground. If you disagree with Trump's remarks, then pose counterarguments and reliable statistics against it, not just screaming 'that's racist!' and dismiss him completely. That's part of the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending