The Student Room Group

Retaking CIE Computing (6961 A level) but not offered anymore....

//
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by retsymuw
Is anyone in the same boat? This year is just hell for me. Physics cant be retaken and now Computing. CIE have told me that Computer Science replaces it but now I will miss out on my high coursework marks from Computing and will have to do an entire new a level. Anyone switched from Computing to Computer Science and know the difference?

TIA

You can only do the ones that are offered now then. I doubt that the content will be hugely different.
Reply 2
Yeah, Computing is no longer offered. I did alright but now I'll probably have to sit for the complete A Level for Computer Science. I wonder if universities would count them as two separate subjects. I went through the syllabus and yeah, a lot of similar topics but there is no coursework (written papers only) for Computer Science.
//
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm in your boat as well. Think I will take the whole new a level but this will be much harder for me as I suck at Paper 2 in the last a level and now there are two programming papers....

They should count it as 2 subjects, I'll be putting them down as 2 seperate a levels.

Will you be sitting for all the papers next summer? It'll be pretty hard to finish the entire syllabus in 6 months :frown:
I've already applied to unis so I don't really have a choice.
Oh! So, should I submit the predicted grades for both AS and A Level Computer Science?
//
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm taking them all and will go through the course in 6 months. I looked through the spec and specimen papers and Computer Science and Computing literally look the same. The only difference I see is no coursework.

That's what I'm doing. Putting down my Computing grade and then pending for Computer Science.

Yeah, I'll be doing the same! There are a few new topics though and there aren't many past papers! :afraid:

Anyway, GOOD LUCK! :biggrin:
//
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending