The Student Room Group

Saddest election day ever?

As a pro-EU, pro-New Labour and pro-Democrat I'm used to election defeats in these last few years. Today has been the worst though. Cannot believe the most qualified candidate ever to grace the US election's has lost to an inflammatory bigot who creates divides between communities. Someone console me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sahil19
As a pro-EU, pro-New Labour and pro-Democrat I'm used to election defeats in these last few years. Today has been the worst though. Cannot believe the most qualified candidate ever to grace the US election's has lost to an inflammatory bigot who creates divides between communities. Someone console me.

i'm just speechless.
Reply 2
Original post by geek567
i'm just speechless.

as am I.
Reply 3
Original post by sahil19
as am I.

what do you think will happen now??
In what way was she most qualified, I can think of people more qualified than Killary and Trump.

Please do tell my why you hate trump so much without the words Sexist, Racist, islamaphobic and other "ists" and "isms" unless you can back them Up with facts.
Reply 5
Original post by geek567
what do you think will happen now??

well the Republicans have control of the senate as well so sorry for sounding so pessimistic; the worst is yet to come.
Living a couple of countries more to the east, I'm reliefed. There is a slight chance that USA will finally drop their policy of destabilising the middle east in competition for influence against Russia. As my country is a part of NATO, I feel safer then. This may be an end of the US's unilateral foreign policy, and pushing flanks of NATO into a crash with Russia.

Internal policy od the United States is not our concern. If Trup won so well, Hillary probably wouldn't make things any better, seem that Americans had enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AperfectBalance
In what way was she most qualified, I can think of people more qualified than Killary and Trump.

Please do tell my why you hate trump so much without the words Sexist, Racist, islamaphobic and other "ists" and "isms" unless you can back them Up with facts.

i can understand where you are coming from:smile: i am not saying im against trump because what he is doing is what he thinks is best for his country however the stuff he said like mexicans are rapists is out of order.
Original post by geek567
i can understand where you are coming from:smile: i am not saying im against trump because what he is doing is what he thinks is best for his country however the stuff he said like mexicans are rapists is out of order.

Realistically, congress and senate will keep Trump in line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Why do I hate Trump? Sure take away the fact he's a sexist, racist and potential rapist; he's incompetent. All of his policies are ones that look good on a t shirt without any substance.

Why is HILLARY the most qualified candidate ever? Sec of State, FLOTUS, Lawyer, Law Professor, Senator. Need I go on?
Original post by geek567

"Thank you. It’s true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Trump calling our ILLEGAL Immigrants for bringing bad things into the country, Mexico was nearly the sole producer of Heroin that goes into America and many ILLEGAL migrants were committing other crimes than crossing the border.

When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems,

He is saying that many bad Mexicans cross, not that all Mexicans are bad but the worst Mexicans are very bad
Reply 11
Atleast it's entertaining.
Original post by sahil19

Since the turn of the decade, the influence of the left in western liberal democracies has begun to fade as a result of the left's sheer ineptitude to engage with some of the most poignant talking points in a productive and non-hyperbolic manner. Unfortunately, such aloofness from career-politicians and the political establishment has allowed populism to take precedent and realign the west's political spectrum for decades to come.

Despite the fruit behind such concerns, people are worried about mass immigration. To be concerned about a changing identity is not a product of bigotry, but a natural response to such a rapid transition in such a short period of time aided by mass population growth and perpetual foreign warfare. Now, the right - and more specifically the far-right - have been able to gain - politically - from such concerns by manipulating the consensus and addressing the issues directly. If the left disagree with the right's approach - then fine. I'm not saying the left need to adopt the same narrative as those on the right, but a comprehensive and detailed alternative from the left on issues like immigration and multiculturalism need promulgating if the left want to win back disenfranchised voters who're turning to populist currents.

Of course, none of this will happen. Even despite the crushing defeats the left are experiencing left, right and centre - there is still a sense of innate self-righteousness among the liberal middle-class. Just to put into perspective the extent of populism in Europe at present: the PVV (Netherlands), the Front National (France), the Justice Party (Poland), the Freedom Party (Austria), the Five Star Movement (Italy) and Fidesz (Hungary) are all leading in their respective countries' polls.

So no, I'm not going to console you, because - in many ways - the left are responsible for their self-induced destruction. For as long as the liberal elite denounce, demean and berate those who vote for the right in an uncompromising and vicious manner, the populace will revolt.
The only reason I'm crying is because I got champagne in my eye.

#Stumped
Reply 15
Original post by jake4198
Since the turn of the decade, the influence of the left in western liberal democracies has begun to fade as a result of the left's sheer ineptitude to engage with some of the most poignant talking points in a productive and non-hyperbolic manner. Unfortunately, such aloofness from career-politicians and the political establishment has allowed populism to take precedent and realign the west's political spectrum for decades to come.

Despite the fruit behind such concerns, people are worried about mass immigration. To be concerned about a changing identity is not a product of bigotry, but a natural response to such a rapid transition in such a short period of time aided by mass population growth and perpetual foreign warfare. Now, the right - and more specifically the far-right - have been able to gain - politically - from such concerns by manipulating the consensus and addressing the issues directly. If the left disagree with the right's approach - then fine. I'm not saying the left need to adopt the same narrative as those on the right, but a comprehensive and detailed alternative from the left on issues like immigration and multiculturalism need promulgating if the left want to win back disenfranchised voters who're turning to populist currents.

Of course, none of this will happen. Even despite the crushing defeats the left are experiencing left, right and centre - there is still a sense of innate self-righteousness among the liberal middle-class. Just to put into perspective the extent of populism in Europe at present: the PVV (Netherlands), the Front National (France), the Justice Party (Poland), the Freedom Party (Austria), the Five Star Movement (Italy) and Fidesz (Hungary) are all leading in their respective countries' polls.

So no, I'm not going to console you, because - in many ways - the left are responsible for their self-induced destruction. For as long as the liberal elite denounce, demean and berate those who vote for the right in an uncompromising and vicious manner, the populace will revolt.

funnily enough I agree with some of your points if not most of them. However this whole 'liberal elite' rhetoric is a total myth. The center left/ center have never been the elites. It's always been the populist's that they vote for that are 'anti-establishment'. Just look at the irony of 'The Sun'. Owned by the epitome of the elite and yet spouts rubbish about the 'liberal elite.'
I love Trump, glad he won. He has much more integrity than Clinton will ever have. He is highly qualified and smart as well as extremely successful. He has a strong will and is outspoken enough to lead USA, Clinton doesn't have what it takes to be a president.
tbh we shouldn't be complaining now.He won and we can't change that.We should just get ready for RIP America and WW3.
Original post by sahil19

Sad for you, not for me.

Opposes same-sex marriage
Is anti-abortion and has said he will defund Planned Parenthood
Believes climate change is a hoax, opposes renewable energy and has threatened to cancel the Paris Agreement
Is an all round piece of **** known for ripping people off and once built a ****ing spite fence around a Scottish couple's home and then charged them for it, after they refused to sell him their property
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending