The Student Room Group

My maths teacher wants to enter me for the higher paper

So it was parents evening last week and my maths teacher said to my mum that it is easier to get more marks in the higher paper than the foundation paper. He wants to enter me to do the higher paper..... The higher paper is going to include a level topics and is the new specification, bearing in mind that I have always been a bit weak in maths. I'm not sure what to do I think I would feel more confident in sitting the foundation paper? What do you think?
Original post by JackT2000
So it was parents evening last week and my maths teacher said to my mum that it is easier to get more marks in the higher paper than the foundation paper. He wants to enter me to do the higher paper..... The higher paper is going to include a level topics and is the new specification, bearing in mind that I have always been a bit weak in maths. I'm not sure what to do I think I would feel more confident in sitting the foundation paper? What do you think?

:s-smilie: I'm not 100% sure but I think it's easier to get marks in the foundation paper but your grade is capped.

Why do you feel that you are a bit weak in maths? Perhaps you can rise to the challenge. The secret to maths is practicing as much as you can until you are confident. Okay, it might include some A-level topics but you'll be taught how to do it and then it's up to you to practice until you understand the topic.

Your teacher must have faith in you as well, I had a spanish teacher who shoved as many people onto Foundation to make his pass rate look good but the cap wasn't great.
I would go with the foundation and play it easy. A pass is still A pass :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think under the old specification your teacher was 100% right. Many people were able to master a few of the harder topics and could get enough marks on higher to achieve a C more easily than getting most things right on foundation.

Under the new 9-1 specification I'm not sure anyone can know as it's never been sat before but I tend to think as a general rule he may be wrong. Keep in mind though he knows you well and so is in a better position to advise what might be personally best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I'd say to go for it. Like your teacher said, it's easier to get a grade c equivalent in higher (level 5-6 I believe), and remember your teachers job depends on your grades! He wouldn't be moving you up to higher if he didn't think you were capable because poor results from his students could lead to him losing his job. Go for it, and if you're struggling a bit ask for more support. If you're still not too sure, ask your maths teacher to give you a higher level paper and see how you find it. Then, if you do decide to stick with higher tier, websites like https://corbettmaths.com/ are good...it has videos and stuff to explain everything. Also if your exam board is Edexcel I know pearson have published a student workbook called practice papers plus. If you have a different exam board, they'll probably have a book like it. Sorry for the long answer, hope this makes it easier for you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by _natalierachel
I'd say to go for it. Like your teacher said, it's easier to get a grade c equivalent in higher (level 5-6 I believe), and remember your teachers job depends on your grades! He wouldn't be moving you up to higher if he didn't think you were capable because poor results from his students could lead to him losing his job. Go for it, and if you're struggling a bit ask for more support. If you're still not too sure, ask your maths teacher to give you a higher level paper and see how you find it. Then, if you do decide to stick with higher tier, websites like https://corbettmaths.com/ are good...it has videos and stuff to explain everything. Also if your exam board is Edexcel I know pearson have published a student workbook called practice papers plus. If you have a different exam board, they'll probably have a book like it. Sorry for the long answer, hope this makes it easier for you! :smile:

I need some questions on ratio where can I get hold of some questions? Would appreciate a reply asap because I have a maths calculator mock tomorrow.
I need some questions on ratio where can I get hold of some questions? Would appreciate a reply asap because I have a maths calculator mock tomorrow.

Sorry for getting back to you so late, I've been up to my neck in mocks as well. If you still want to find questions, just go onto any exam board website and look for maths past papers. I know this year is a new spec but the question format is the same.
Reply 7
I really never understood why people said it's easier to get a C in higher than in foundations. Yes you need more marks on the foundation paper, but all of the questions are easier, and you don't even need that many anyway I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest