The Student Room Group
This sounds like homework. Have you attempted this on your own at all? Both look fairly straightforward if you've read the case study.
introduce hmv and why it closed. 1st. argue costs led to its closure. 2nd. argue demand led to its closure. 3rd. evaluate. conclude

what could have hmv done? move online, downsize, cut costs, acquire a competitor etc.
Original post by hannahmegant
Could anyone help with these questions from the Hodder Plus revision guide please? So stuck :frown:

1. To what extent does the case study suggest that the effects of competition on HMV’s costs and the demand for its products led to its eventual closure? (15 marks)

2. Identify and explain the possible changes HMV could have introduced, in order to remain competitive, and what impact these might have had on its costs and the demand for its products. (15 marks)

Thannnksss

The whole idea is that you read the case study and start to think critically to some extent.

In black and white, without seeing the case study, HMV closed because the demand for their products (CDs and DVDs) sunk. Partly due to piracy, partly due to them being extremely unresponsive to changes in the market - i.e. they never invested in technology the way Apple (iTunes) did until it was too late. The never realized customers appreciated a more efficient, quicker way of purchasing music online which could be shared across all of their devices, instead they looked to diversify instore... Introducing things like T-Shirts, and even phone shops at one point.

This suggests very little thought was put in to their long-term business strategy; yes a phone shop is another revenue stream, but who seriously goes in to HMV for a phone contract, or a t-shirt? They tried to utilize their retail space, sadly it was ineffective and arguably in haste after they had been operating at a loss for some time.

I trust you can drag things that could have done to improve their situation from the above. Good luck.
SO helpful thanks :h:

You're very welcome :smile: I hope you've been encouraged to think for yourself and do your own work. It'll definitely come in handy in the future. Good luck!
No, really, I do appreciate you taking precious, precious time out of what I assume is a busy day for yourself, to make snarky comments when someone evidently much younger than you is asking for "help" (which is what this website is for) with homework. :s-smilie:

I wasn't being sarcastic in any of my comments. I mean what I say. Students who genuinely need help get lots of it on this website and I'm very happy to help. Lazy students I see a lot of too and generally encourage them to stop being so. If you had a specific thing you were genuinely stuck with it would be a very different situation. Anyway I don't have the time to keep this up any more. Like I said before I hope you're encouraged to help yourself in the first instance rather than depending on others to do your work for you no matter how old you are. It really will stand you in good stead in the future :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
You could thank the rest of us that helped you instead of attacking someone who tried to give you sound advice. Just saying :smile:
Reply 7

And now you come on and delete the original request for help/ignore us all...

I know who probably won't be getting help around here again :lol:
Reply 9
I think that you're being harsh and if you have the time to continually check this feed then you have too much time on your hands.
Reply 10
Original post by alleycat393
I wasn't being sarcastic in any of my comments. I mean what I say. Students who genuinely need help get lots of it on this website and I'm very happy to help. Lazy students I see a lot of too and generally encourage them to stop being so. If you had a specific thing you were genuinely stuck with it would be a very different situation. Anyway I don't have the time to keep this up any more. Like I said before I hope you're encouraged to help yourself in the first instance rather than depending on others to do your work for you no matter how old you are. It really will stand you in good stead in the future :smile:.

Maybe she did genuinely need help and was struggling and not being lazy just confused!
Original post by Rac1498
I think that you're being harsh and if you have the time to continually check this feed then you have too much time on your hands.

Aw that's cute, a white knight. And no, I didn't continually check for help, it simply flagged up being recently commented on as the thread is on my 'watched list'.

And no, it's not harsh. She wanted us to do her homework; we gave her sound advice and even done some of it for her - it got ignored or we were called out for being unhelpful.

I fully appreciate your concern about my time though, I feel the same - which is why I stated no more help. All the best.
Its also nice of you to sign up and use your first ever comments on this subject. Any reason for this catching your eye in particular? :smile:
Reply 13
Because it was a question that I had recently been given and also found it hard to understand from the case study recived, is that okay?
Original post by Rac1498
Because it was a question that I had recently been given and also found it hard to understand from the case study recived, is that okay?

It's more than OK. Just odd that the question had been removed by the time you landed on the thread - so you would never have seen it initially - not until you got through the comments and expanded my quote.

In any case, I'm done going off topic and wasting time. Bye bye.
Reply 15
Original post by pmc:producer
Aw that's cute, a white knight. And no, I didn't continually check for help, it simply flagged up being recently commented on as the thread is on my 'watched list'.

And no, it's not harsh. She wanted us to do her homework; we gave her sound advice and even done some of it for her - it got ignored or we were called out for being unhelpful.

I fully appreciate your concern about my time though, I feel the same - which is why I stated no more help. All the best.

I think your being ridiculous at this moment in time and what you just felt you had to give snarky comment she in order to be helpful? That's not helpful.
It was harsh she didn't want them to do the work she wanted help this site is for that! If you can't be helpful then you shouldn't make a comment.
You shouldn't have helped to start with if you weren't going to be helpful. Enjoy
Original post by Rac1498
I think your being ridiculous at this moment in time and what you just felt you had to give snarky comment she in order to be helpful? That's not helpful.
It was harsh she didn't want them to do the work she wanted help this site is for that! If you can't be helpful then you shouldn't make a comment.
You shouldn't have helped to start with if you weren't going to be helpful. Enjoy

:lol:
:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by alleycat393
This sounds like homework. Have you attempted this on your own at all? Both look fairly straightforward if you've read the case study.

I see your point Mr cat but i am quite baffled and thus have arrived here. Plus its not illegal to use google for homework.

Latest

Trending

Trending