The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Firefly13
WELL DONE FOR YOUR OFFER!

If they've made you an offer and it says something like 'Conditional Offer' on UCAS rather than just an email from them saying they'll give you an offer they can't change it. If one of the conditions is getting a certain MAT result and you don't get that then you don't meet their conditions and you won't be accepted. If it doesn't mention the MAT at all then you can fail it and it won't make a difference.

(Unless you don't apply through UCAS? I'm not sure how it works for international students, sorry!)

Thank you :smile: As I applied through UCAS (most international students have to for most UK universities - sometimes, US Common Applications are also allowed, but that's the only exception I know of), got the offer there (Imperial did not acknowledge it per mail/letter yet) and without a MAT condition, it appears like I should be fine.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I have received a conditional offer on UCAS from Imperial College last week in Mathematics with Statistics (2/11 just after MAT test) - 16/20 overall scientific French baccalaureate (A*) with 16 in maths (A*) and 15 in physics-chemistry (A) without interview! I am quite happy with it! I have also received an offer from King's College London asking 15/20 overall (A) with 14 in maths (lower grade for A, 13 being B). Now waiting Cambridge's interview invitations - or not -, UCL and LSE decisions (I want them now, even if they are unsuccessful!)...

Last year I scored 19 (A*), 19 (A*) and 20 (A*) grades in early examinations of the French Baccalaureate (French essay, French oral, science research respectively ; subjects we sit before to take "only" 8 tests in last year). I do not know my predictive grades for final examinations (like A-level), but they may be superior or equal to 16 (A*). IELTS: scored 7.5 with lower grade being 6.5 (writing) and the others 7.5.

You may find relevant information on admissions statistics (ratios, number of applicants by department etc.) inside this document, p7 for undergraduate studies: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/planning/public/statistics-guides/2015-16-Stats-Card_Online-Publishing-Low-Res.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sophiecurie
Hello everyone, I just received a conditional offer from Imperial for Mathematics with Mathematical Physics. However, as it's quite early, they probably haven't taken my MAT results into account for their admissions decision. As I'm an EU student not really acquainted with the details of the UK application system, I am wondering the following: Could my MAT result still change anything about their decision? Or are they bound to their offer now that they've made it? Thank you for your insight!

Very nice! I hope you'll be doing as great as Curie in physics! What are the conditions they ask you? Don't worry for MAT, I've passed it too; I do not think I did pretty well but I did not failed it (maybe 50-70). Furthermore they can not change an offer as long as they do it on UCAS and not private e-mail.
Original post by PMC01234
Very nice! I hope you'll be doing as great as Curie in physics! What are the conditions they ask you? Don't worry for MAT, I've passed it too; I do not think I did pretty well but I did not failed it (maybe 50-70). Furthermore they can not change an offer as long as they do it on UCAS and not private e-mail.

I thought they reserve the right to change, withdraw and give out an offer at any time? Last year, they randomly increased the grade requirements on medicine offers to A*AA, and chemistry offers to A*A*A.
Well, they can withdraw and then make a new offer, but that sounds unusual; isn't it?
I have received a conditional offer on UCAS from Imperial College last week in Mathematics with Statistics (2/11 just after MAT test) - 16/20 overall scientific French baccalaureate (A*) with 16 in maths (A*) and 15 in physics-chemistry (A) without interview! I am quite happy with it! I have also received an offer from King's College London asking 15/20 overall (A) with 14 in maths (lower grade for A, 13 being B). Now waiting Cambridge's interview invitations - or not -, UCL and LSE decisions (I want them now, even if they are unsuccessful!)...

Last year (AS level equivalent) I scored 19 (A*), 19 (A*) and 20 (A*) grades in early examinations of the French Baccalaureate (French essay, French oral, science research respectively). I do not know my predictive grades for final examinations (like A-level), but they may be superior or equal to 16 (A*). IELTS: scored 7.5 with lower grade being 6.5 (writing) and the others 7.5.

You may find relevant information on admissions statistics (ratios, number of applicants by department etc.) inside this document, p7 for undergraduate studies: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/planning/public/statistics-guides/2015-16-Stats-Card_Online-Publishing-Low-Res.pdf

AS Levels only go as high as A's even if you get 100% :smile: so I think you mean A, not A* for achieved AS equivalent. A* is only for the full A Level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by CutieTootsie
AS Levels only go as high as A's even if you get 100% :smile: so I think you mean A, not A* for achieved AS equivalent. A* is only for the full A Level.

You must be right! UK high school system is quite hard to understand for foreigners ;-).
Reply 587
The more time passes by, I think its cruel of unis to make us wait forever* without a due date ahhhh
Original post by 17lina
Dear Mathematics applicants

Since we've done the mat exam now, do you know when offers will be given out???

So far in this thread I've only found two other Maths applicant with an offer , one got his on nov' 4th for Maths and Physics, the other for Maths and Stats the day of the MAT and I got an unconditional offer nov' 3rd for Mathematics with a year in Europe.
My offer came as a suprise as I applied last year and was rejected..
What did you apply for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by LycDescartes
So far in this thread I've only found two other Maths applicant with an offer , one got his on nov' 4th for Maths and Physics, the other for Maths and Stats the day of the MAT and I got an unconditional offer nov' 3rd for Mathematics with a year in Europe.
My offer came as a suprise as I applied last year and was rejected..
What did you apply for?

Oh wowww thats so amazing c:
You must be so happy to get an unconditional offer well done!!
I applied for pure maths and Im just realllly impatient😂😂
Original post by 17lina
Oh wowww thats so amazing c:
You must be so happy to get an unconditional offer well done!!
I applied for pure maths and Im just realllly impatient😂😂

I was overjoyed! Especially because last year I had to wait until March before I recieved the bad news so I wasn't expection any offers till then!
Good luck with you're application! I went on a summer school course at Imperial and found the whole atmosphere very enjoyable, hope you will to :wink:

Original post by 17lina
The more time passes by, I think its cruel of unis to make us wait forever* without a due date ahhhh

Just cross your fingers you won't be left waiting till March to be rejected from your two favorite Unis!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 591
Original post by LycDescartes
I was overjoyed! Especially because last year I had to wait until March before I recieved the bad news so I wasn't expection any offers till then!
Good luck with you're application! I went on a summer school course at Imperial and found the whole atmosphere very enjoyable, hope you will to :wink:

Just cross your fingers you won't be left waiting till March to be rejected from your two favorite Unis!

Hahaha yeahhhsss I really hope so🤘 But its oxford and imperial/lse so Im thinking its gonna be HARDDD but i found the mat relatively okay than the other years and i have a fine as level grade and alevel predictions, i will wish for the best🙏 But the thing is I keep on seeing my phone for emails and tsr and fb and stuff so its really disturbing me from studying!! I rlly shd throw away my phone😂😂
Intended Subject: Chemistry (maybe with molecular physics)

GCSE's:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A*
Maths - A*
English Lang - A*
English Lit - A
French - A
Latin - A
Art - A
Geography -A
rlly anoyed bcs i think they might hold me back, and in english lit, french and art i was only 1-2 marks of the A* >:frown:

also an A (highest grade) in FSMQ

A-Levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

Goal A2 Results: A*A*A (will probably only do FM to as? but not sure, think i could get an A in FM A2)
So I reckon I will get an A* in Maths, and am hoping for an A* in Chemistry. Ideally, i want one in Physics, but I'm not sure...will have to wait until I'm further into the course! :smile:

Extras:
Gold in Junior, Intermediate and senior maths challenge
Gold crest award
EES
EPQ? possibly
Attended chemistry lectures
Chemistry work experience at the research labs
Chemistry Olympiad (will take in Jan and also next Jan)
L6 Cambridge Chem Olympiad
Science ambassador for school (bit like a prefect)
also hope to be prefect next year
on top of all that, I spend 16 hours a week at rowing training - will sport achievements strengthen my application :/ lol doubt it but worth a try (i.e represent gb)

Imperial is my dream Uni, its perfect for me and I really want o go. If i dont get in I will be very upset. Just gonna have to work hard :smile: What do you guys think of my application? What can I do to strengthen it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by perks23
Intended Subject: Chemistry (maybe with molecular physics)

GCSE's:
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A*
Maths - A*
English Lang - A*
English Lit - A
French - A
Latin - A
Art - A
Geography -A
rlly anoyed bcs i think they might hold me back, and in english lit, french and art i was only 1-2 marks of the A* >:frown:

also an A (highest grade) in FSMQ

A-Levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths

Goal A2 Results: A*A*A (will probably only do FM to as? but not sure, think i could get an A in FM A2)
So I reckon I will get an A* in Maths, and am hoping for an A* in Chemistry. Ideally, i want one in Physics, but I'm not sure...will have to wait until I'm further into the course! :smile:

Extras:
Gold in Junior, Intermediate and senior maths challenge
Gold crest award
EES
EPQ? possibly
Attended chemistry lectures
Chemistry work experience at the research labs
Chemistry Olympiad (will take in Jan and also next Jan)
L6 Cambridge Chem Olympiad
Science ambassador for school (bit like a prefect)
also hope to be prefect next year
on top of all that, I spend 16 hours a week at rowing training - will sport achievements strengthen my application :/ lol doubt it but worth a try (i.e represent gb)

Imperial is my dream Uni, its perfect for me and I really want o go. If i dont get in I will be very upset. Just gonna have to work hard :smile: What do you guys think of my application? What can I do to strengthen it?

If you have specified in your personal statement most of your extra academic records, there are no reasons they deny your application! They do look to sports; but rowing is a plus for Oxbridge applications ; I don't know if there's an Imperial rowing team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have specified in your personal statement most of your extra academic records, there are no reasons they deny your application! They do look to sports; but rowing is a plus for Oxbridge applications ; I don't know if there's an Imperial rowing team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah they have an awesome rowing program at imperial which is why paired with academics its literaly the perfect uni for me. Hope fuly!

Thank you, congratulations to you too! :smile: My conditions are 1.5/1.0 overall in the Abitur and 14/15 points in my advanced courses, which is surprisingly achievable. I'd also hope for my MAT to be somewhere in that range, but it seems quite improbable to me that they should have taken the results into account that fast, so it doesn't really matter.

By the way, I just noticed that we seem to have applied to the same unis (except for LSE) - I'm still waiting for all three to reply, though :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by ertzgrand
Has anyone heard anything for materials science yet?

Not yet, have you heard anything
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sam125
Not yet, have you heard anything

No, the wait is killing me. I'm logging onto track and checking my email every 2 minutes
Reply 598
Original post by Higor
Finally someone! Ive only received the confirmation email so far but im not too worried. As ive read above, no news is good news.
I also applied for Engineering Science at Oxford, Engineering Design at Bristol, Integrated Design Engineering at Bath and Product Design Engineering at Loughborough. Wbu?

Engineering design people!! mechanical engineering at bath and general engineering at durham and the rest is the same!
Reply 599
I applied for mech eng on the 15th of october, and haven't received an interview response yet. The wait is killing me! So much so, that I've created a student room account just to ask the following question haha!

Should I email/call the Imperial admissions officer to check up on the progress of my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending