The Student Room Group

3 A Levels and EPQ or 4 A Levels?

My school has recently begun telling my year to start sorting our A level choices and the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences course seems very well suited to my interests. However, I am not sure about whether or not Cambridge care if I take a 4th A level. If I took the 3, it would be Psychology, Further Maths and Biology, and if I took 4, I would change to standard maths and I would also do Computing since the course seems to be looking for students who have taken challenging A levels and I believe one of the paper options for this course is related to computer science.

However, I have no idea which would be better for me. If there's no point in taking the 4th A level, I won't do it, but if it would help my application more than an EPQ (related to Psychology obviously) then I would do it. In my situation, what do you think would be the best course of action?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jango137
My school has recently begun telling my year to start sorting our A level choices and the Psychological and Behavioural Sciences course seems very well suited to my interests. However, I am not sure about whether or not Cambridge care if I take a 4th A level. If I took the 3, it would be Psychology, Further Maths and Biology, and if I took 4, I would change to standard maths and I would also do Computing since the course seems to be looking for students who have taken challenging A levels and I believe one of the paper options for this course is related to computer science.

However, I have no idea which would be better for me. If there's no point in taking the 4th A level, I won't do it, but if it would help my application more than an EPQ (related to Psychology obviously) then I would do it. In my situation, what do you think would be the best course of action?

I think you might find 3 and an EPQ a better choice. They only need 3 for entry in any university, and doing 4 A Levels all the way up to A2 would be a lot of work. I'm doing 3 full A Levels and an AS and my timetable is incredibly busy with little study periods, and I can't imagine doing this for the whole 2 years. Although EPQs are a lot of work they can be done in your free time and most of it is done over summer, so you end up having more free time to concentrate on what you wish, be that your 3 choices or your EPQ.

Why would you do Further math without maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Ze Witcher
Why would you do Further math without maths?

Ah, forgive me if I'm wrong (My school hasn't done a very good job at explaining the difference), so does that mean I would have to take standard maths if I wanted to do further maths, making it two out of the maximum four choices? Since if that's the case, I'll definitely just do standard maths.
Reply 4
Ah, forgive me if I'm wrong (My school hasn't done a very good job at explaining the difference), so does that mean I would have to take standard maths if I wanted to do further maths, making it two out of the maximum four choices? Since if that's the case, I'll definitely just do standard maths.

Yes you can't do FM without "standard" maths.

And "just" do your 3 plus EPQ. It's much more important to do very well in 3 than not quite so well in 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cambridge are looking for 3 A levels in appropriate subjects (Psychology is only acceptable if you're applying for certain courses at Cambridge such as HSPS - check the website for entry criteria). I'd concentrate on getting stellar marks in 3, rather than spreading yourself thinly with 4. Computer Science is hardly relevant anyway if you're planning on doing HSPS
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Cambridge are looking for 3 A levels in appropriate subjects (Psychology is only acceptable if you're applying for certain courses at Cambridge such as HSPS - check the website for entry criteria). I'd concentrate on getting stellar marks in 3, rather than spreading yourself thinly with 4. Computer Science is hardly relevant anyway if you're planning on doing HSPS

Indeed.

(OP wants to do PBS, so yes choices are fine :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Indeed.

(OP wants to do PBS, so yes choices are fine :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yeah, it sucks that I'll probably have to drop computer science but Psychology is my priority here so I'll have to prioritize for that. Thanks for the help!
Reply 8
I'm applying this year and I took three a levels and an epq. I helps as even though it will be a lot of work some universities lower their entry requirements by a grade if you do it and are predicted a certain grade. The ones I can think of the do reduce requirements are Sheffield,Southampton,Leicester,etc there are probably more

But if you do decide to do an epq make sure it's relevant to the degree you want to do if you want universities to consider it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Doing Paper 1 from the first year CompSci course is technically possible in the PBS tripos, however you would be insane to take it because it would be a lot harder and a lot more work than other options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending