The Student Room Group

My parents don't believe i can get an A and i'm starting to believe them

so yeah i did get a D in chemistry and biology for year 12 but i'm looking to turn that around to AB or AA. however my parents don't think i can do it at all my mum is like work hard and get ur C's!!!! i'm working really hard to reach my goals but they say mean comments and mock me saying i'm not gonna get them and stuff and to lose hope . this kind of thing reall gets me down . maybe i won't do it.

how can i channel this negative energy .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
dont look for motivators, motive yourself and make the change happen.
Original post by qold
so yeah i did get a D in chemistry and biology for year 12 but i'm looking to turn that around to AB or AA. however my parents don't think i can do it at all my mum is like samar work hard and get ur C's!!!! i'm working really hard to reach my goals but they say mean comments and mock me saying i'm not gonna get them and stuff and to lose hope . this kind of thing reall gets me down . maybe i won't do it.

Think about the moment when you get that A and see the look on their faces, it will be priceless. I got E's and U in year 12, I left school and studied for my AS and A2 by myself at home whilst working and came out with AAC (Maths, Chem and Geog). So if I could do it (I'm not smart by any means) than you should be able to do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Raizelcadres
Think about the moment when you get that A and see the look on their faces, it will be priceless. I got E's and U in year 12, I left school and studied for my AS and A2 by myself at home whilst working and came out with AAC (Maths, Chem and Geog). So if I could do it (I'm not smart by any means) than you should be able to do it.

thank u! would u mind giving me any tips on how u improved
Awwh don't let them bring you down. Instead use them to fuel you further - prove them wrong or try your damnest to do that anyway.

I always run a commentary in my head when things like this happen... 'here she goes again and can anyone guess what she'll say...of course its the same old thing. Deary she should just record herself. Would save a lot of energy. Clearly she's run out of real interesting things to talk about' etc. Might as well mock it all and make a joke of it (though do try not to snigger in their face). [Of course it is no laughing matter really, but whatever helps goes right?]

Maybe print some motivational quotes and stick them around your room etc. I know someone who did that and whenever they felt they couldn't do it, would read that.

Ask teachers etc for extra help if you need and never feel embarrassed to ask even the simplest of stuff. It will show that you are trying and are determined.

Some people find that upbeat music helps them. Not my thing but might be yours.

Give yourself little treats every now and then to keep you motivated.

Just try your best and keep strong girl!!

Oh one more thing... make your own cheerleader style song for example:
You go (insert name), you can do it
You are the best, you can beat the test
(Okay that was a rubbish attempt on my part but I used to do this myself. If you wanted could add your own moves to it too)

Good luck. Wish you all the best! Hope you get your AA!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow! You are a real inspiration!:h:

Original post by Raizelcadres
Original post by qold
so yeah i did get a D in chemistry and biology for year 12 but i'm looking to turn that around to AB or AA. however my parents don't think i can do it at all my mum is like samar work hard and get ur C's!!!! i'm working really hard to reach my goals but they say mean comments and mock me saying i'm not gonna get them and stuff and to lose hope . this kind of thing reall gets me down . maybe i won't do it.

Work hard so you can prove that you're capable :smile:
Channel the negative energy to motivate you to show them and yourself that you can achieve it if you try. And that'll only happen if you work towards a goal.
Your goal should never be grade wise as that can leave people feeling depressed still if they're only a grade away from what they wanted (despite having a decent grade) so your goal should be proving to everyone, and yourself, that you are capable. :h:
**** what your parents think.

All you gotta do is believe in yourself. And you gotta motivate yourself. You don't need the approval of others to accomplish this.

You got this :smile:
Original post by qold
thank u! would u mind giving me any tips on how u improved

You're welcome and sure. Okay A levels is mostly memorization the rest is just practice and learning exam techniques(for maths just look for patterns, they tend to give questions that have been given in the past but just written differently with a different setting) which I am sure you know. First thing believe this, that the more you revise the more closer you will get to your goal. Second would be motivation, set your sights on a goal. Try imagining every person who has ever doubted and considered you an idiot than imagine that shocked and priceless face they will have when they find out how well you have done but don't just do it for that moment but think of it as investing in your future. My biggest difficulty was starting my revision, I didn't start revision until november so I planned my study like this by studying for 20-25 minutes max and than having 5 mins. I would rotate my subjects so I would revise a unit of chemistry and Geography on the same day each and than Geography and maths etc. Okay techniques on memorising, Chemistry I would have these little flash cards which I ordered of amazon and later I used an app to memorise the boring stuff like definitions, Geography I made a mind map and made it colourful and it actually worked, I remember in the exams I felt like I had the mind map right in front me since I could recall it so easily however it was hard for me because I didn't really have anyone to mark my essays and it is my weakest subject since I suck at writing essays (retaking 2 geography exams though), I just looked at examiner feedback on the websites and timed myself writing my essays. For maths I didn't take any notes just kept on doing questions related to the topic and would do past papers (use madasmaths, the person has created his exam questions and can be extremely difficult which is good for practice).
Next print out the specification, just learn everything that is required on the specification and don't learn anything not there, look at examiner feedback on exams, find out what common mistakes do people make and avoid that.
Yes revision isn't the most exciting thing in the world but you get use to it, around january I started panicking and thinking what if I fail and stuff like that but I just shrugged it off and I said I will do fine as long as I put the work in.
Lastly be calm don't stress yourself, at the start I rewarded myself everytime I finished memorising something difficult stay healthy, get plenty of sleep (I only slept for 6-7 hours lol), if you find yourself overthinking about anything, get up and do something else and come back to it.
Stay motivated and honestly if someone like me could do it you should be able to do it too.
Original post by sunshine774
Wow! You are a real inspiration!:h:

Thank you, means a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest