The Student Room Group

Is it time to ban democracy?

After first Brexit and now a Trump vote I am starting to go off democracy. Plato believed democracy was a terrible form of government and this latest result really proves his point about the stupidy of the average voter, showing why they shouldn't be trusted to make their own decisions. Instead I'd say a benevolent dictatorship led by someone like Tony Blair would be far better for the world, at least until voters become better educated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by intelligent con
After first Brexit and now a Trump vote I am starting to go off democracy. Plato believed democracy was a terrible form of government and this latest result really proves his point about the stupidy of the average voter, showing why they shouldn't be trusted to make their own decisions. Instead I'd say a benevolent dictatorship led by someone like Tony Blair would be far better for the world, at least until voters become better educated.

Then we won't be able to vote Chump away from a second term!

You've only got yourselves to blame for Brexit and Trump. If the liberal left weren't so nauseatingly condescending, pretentious and on the whole annoying then neither result would have happened. Nothing makes people over the age of 35 vote Brexit or Trump more than young whiny urban hipster douchebags sneering down their noses at them with smug self-righteousness. Millennials are literally a liability at elections. Know one cares how smart you think you are.
Original post by pol pot noodles
You've only got yourselves to blame for Brexit and Trump. If the liberal left weren't so nauseatingly condescending, pretentious and on the whole annoying then neither result would have happened. Nothing makes people over the age of 35 vote Brexit or Trump more than young whiny urban hipster douchebags sneering down their noses at them with smug self-righteousness. Millennials are literally a liability at elections. Know one cares how smart you think you are.

So people over the age of 35 only vote for a candidate because someone sneered atthem in the street? It seems to me that those people are the ones who'sgood sense should be questioned.
I don't believe in democracy, but even the masses, like a broken clock, can be right once in a while.

I would favour a benevolent dictatorship, but one led by a hard right-winger who would deport illegal immigrants, defend our culture and crush the Marxists infiltrating and subverting our society.

If you vote for the leader of your country based on some people being condescending, you deserve all the condescension you get. How childish and pathetic do you have to be? How can a functioning adult actually consider that a reasonable way to make decisions? I think it's time we accept that some people are just really ****ing stupid. We wouldn't let these idiots build rockets or do surgery, so why do we let them run the country?
No, just better prepare people to use such a system appropriately.

All voters should have a basic understanding of the economy, foreign issues etc.
If only tovarisch Stalin was still here.

av6HTpy.jpg
Reply 8
Things like Brexit and Trump do not just happen. They are a symptom of a wider problem, voters feeling that what has previously been on offer is not what they want. Republican voters were offered a huge range of candidates, and they picked Trump. 100 million voters were offered the epitome of a politician, and they went for Trump. Had he not been on offer, or if someone simply had the election result dissolved, that anger would simply go elsewhere.

The problem is not democracy, democracy is simply a pressure valve, an expression of something. Conventional politicians need to ask themselves why voters felt Trump was the only one offering them answers. Become better at answering those questions and you'll find yourself liking democracy again.

That, or try to explain how a black left winger got elected four years previously by a supposedly racist, ignorant electorate that wants high walls and tax cuts for the rich.
(edited 7 years ago)

Toxic Tony as Lord Protector?
Top trolling!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Lol you can't be serious.

Loads of white millennials voted for Trump.

The alt right is largely mellinial. Reddit and 4chan are full of these types. TSR even has a quite a few of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
If you vote for the leader of your country based on some people being condescending, you deserve all the condescension you get. How childish and pathetic do you have to be? How can a functioning adult actually consider that a reasonable way to make decisions? I think it's time we accept that some people are just really ****ing stupid. We wouldn't let these idiots build rockets or do surgery, so why do we let them run the country?

You're proving my point with your tone.

Anyhow, if Bob is on the fence, and has concerns about immigration, and then John the Democrat tells him that he's a racist bigot, guess what, Bob isn't going to vote Democrat.
It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. Treat people like they are idiots and you are better than them and they won't want to associate with you or your politics. How are liberals so unable to grasp this?!

Looks like I can add another name to my list of people who aren't learning and are ready to simply hand Austria, the Netherlands, France, Germany and Italy to their political opponents.

If you don't win clearly you're not saying the right things, and if anything you're the idiot.

Oh, and the funny thing is Pew found Trump voters better informed, but that was easy to see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why you keep losing :

1478778632477.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well according to the "democratic majority" Clinton would have won. The whole electoral system needs to be looked at. *Disclaimer: I do not support either candidates.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why you keep losing :

1478778632477.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

And when you see all these safe spaces and Liberal trash that America is trying to implement, with black lives matter, with using different gender pronouns, with all these organizations that are against white straight men you can understand why people are angry. and in a country with only really 2 parties they would obviously vote for the one on the right.

The Trump victory was a victory for actual progression and not liberal backtracking.
Original post by hamzaahmad786
Well according to the "democratic majority" Clinton would have won. The whole electoral system needs to be looked at. *Disclaimer: I do not support either candidates.

The electoral college exists to prevent tyranny of the majority because it makes all states important, and stops the small states that would otherwise be overlooked in favour of the big states with lots of voters being overlooked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone who genuinely thinks democracy is a bad idea, and whilst I don't have a good alternative functioning system in mind at the moment I would be happy to see democracy as we know it today end. I have held this position for a fair length of time and get a bit annoyed when people on the left/right criticise democracy when they don't get their way, but are happy to hide behind it when they do.

So either:

Accept democracy as it is, doesn't mean you can't complain/argue against the result (as Ian Hislop said, losing a vote doesn't mean you can't continuing arguing), but accept that the process is valid and that the result applies (for now).

Don't accept democracy, demand better decision making processes even when you do like the outcome of the democratic process.

But on the note of people "hiding behind" democracy as I said earlier, there are several examples of that in this thread, rights wingers saying "[insert insults] lefties caused this by doing [bad stuff] to poor white people". I find this incredibly dumb, this implicitly accepts that the electorate is irrational/voted for the wrong reasons/made a bad choice/whatever, but handwaves that and just says that the other side is responsible for not pandering to the opponents supporters well enough.
You're proving my point with your tone.

Anyhow, if Bob is on the fence, and has concerns about immigration, and then John the Democrat tells him that he's a racist bigot, guess what, Bob isn't going to vote Democrat.
It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. Treat people like they are idiots and you are better than them and they won't want to associate with you or your politics. How are liberals so unable to grasp this?!

Who was calling people racist bigots during the campaign? At least during the EU campaign, there were a ton of facts going around about immigration, there was no condescension. I'll happily call these people racists or idiots now because they ignored the facts. They WANTED to blame immigration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending