Putin and Erdogan have a lot in common *cough* dictators *cough*

Putin isn't a dictator.

Don't compare him to Erdogan.
Original post by Nadine_08
Putin isn't a dictator.

Don't compare him to Erdogan.

Uhh yes. Yes he most certainly is.
Original post by The Epicurean
Whilst I am no fan of Trump, if one good thing could come from his presidency, it would be a change in attitudes towards Saudi Arabia. It is a pariah state and more pressure needs to be put on Saudi Arabia and hold it accountable for its numerous human rights abuses.

Oh yes, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Donald Trump is someone who cares about human rights.
If Putin and Trump get together, It'll be one hell of a **** shorm in the middle east. And I feel sorry for the ordinary people who will get causght up in it. But they won't take no **** from anyone.
Original post by Plagioclase
Oh yes, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Donald Trump is someone who cares about human rights.

Some people selectively care about human rights sadly. I had a conversation with people on TSR the other day who criticised France's abuse of freedom of religion, who then went on to defend Saudi Arabia's abuses of freedom of religion. How selective can one get? They even went on to state France was worse than Saudi Arabia in its abuses of freedom of religion, which is absurd.

On the grand scale of things, Saudi Arabia is one of the worst nations in the world in regards to its abuses of human rights. So any action taken on Saudi Arabia is a step in the right direction. I've already stated I'm not a fan of Trump, so its clear I am critical of him, but if he is willing to take a stronger stance on one of the worst nations in existence who export extremist Islam over the world, who have a horrific human rights record and whose money funds extremists groups throughout the world, then that is something I would support.

I think it says a lot that you have failed to even make a comment criticising Saudi Arabia in this thread. A failure to criticise and hold Saudi Arabia to account is to make yourself culpable for their crimes and human rights abuses.
(edited 7 years ago)
The end of saudi arabia could only be a good thing and if donald trump brings that about quicker then I'm all for it.Personally I don't see much of a difference between the saudis and IS.They're both barbaric backwards regimes. One just happens to have a lot more power and influence than the other.Quite frankly it was a joke that they were allowed to chair the human rights council.The west cannot complain about dictators like assad when it shields far worse regimes from criticism.
Original post by ThePlanB
TRUMP is a businessman.

What do businessmen like?

Why does everyone act like trump won't be the same greedy puppet in the oval.

This is exactly my worry!:redface:
Reply 27
Compared to Clinton, Trump is Mother Theresa!
No.

A real problem would be if they ran out of oil
Reply 29
Original post by Robby2312
The end of saudi arabia could only be a good thing and if donald trump brings that about quicker then I'm all for it.Personally I don't see much of a difference between the saudis and IS.They're both barbaric backwards regimes. One just happens to have a lot more power and influence than the other.Quite frankly it was a joke that they were allowed to chair the human rights council.The west cannot complain about dictators like assad when it shields far worse regimes from criticism.

Assad certainly has blood on his hands, but there is so little outrage over what saudi-arabia is doing to a foreign country in yemen...whilst chairing the UN Human rights council.

He cares a lot more than Clinton. At least he didn't receive funding from countries like Saudi Arabia, which treat women and people of minority religions as animals, and he wasn't the one who was involved in the Iraq War and the war in Afghanistan which killed many people.
Original post by Results
It all depends on Israel's agenda and what they deem fit

Original post by Tawheed
fair point

Guys, please tell me you're joking. You can't be serious. Israel doesn't have an 'agenda'- they are just a normal Middle Eastern nation which has a good relationship with the Western world due to being a more tolerant and economically successful nation than most of the rest of the Middle East. I think it's about time that we stopped with the anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.
Trump won't decide ****, it's the people behind the scenes that will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by george_c00per
Oh no
Saudi Arabia
with its abysmal human rights record
a misogynistic society
completely trapping the citizens away from any chance of freedom and equality
how u will be missed :frown:

If Trump can do anything right, he can at least start severing any links with this horrific country.

If that's your perceived perception of Saudi Arabia, surely he would hail their nation as a perfect model for Trump's values?
Original post by cbreef
This is 2016. Money beats war. They'll keep amicable relations as long as it's profitable.

War is money.
Original post by Stalin
War is money.

But going to war to compete for resources/land just isn't worth it these days.
Original post by Zamestaneh
If that's your perceived perception of Saudi Arabia, surely he would hail their nation as a perfect model for Trump's values?

That is an accurate perception though.
Original post by cbreef
But going to war to compete for resources/land just isn't worth it these days.

Tell that to Putin vis-à-vis Crimea.
Original post by Stalin
Tell that to Putin vis-à-vis Crimea.

And look what happened. Sanctions crippled the Russian economy.
Original post by cbreef
And look what happened. Sanctions crippled the Russian economy.

No, the fall in the price of oil has crippled the Russian economy; the effect the Western sanctions have had on the economy has been blown out of proportion, especially the EU-imposed sanctions, which were more noise than anything else due to the energy interdependence between Europe and Russia.

Considering Trump's talk about improving relations with Russia, I imagine there's a good chance the sanctions will be lifted, and the EU will follow suit.

Either way, Putin annexed a territory the size of Belgium, with 2.2m people, his approval ratings soared, and he finally acquired a permanent warm water naval base for the Black Sea Fleet - I'd say he did pretty well.

Lastly, and to your original point, if there has ever been a time to go to war for land or resources, in particular, it is now because the planet is running out of oil, water, rare earth minerals, et cetera. Let me ask you this: Why do you think the great and middle powers were/are fighting for in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending