The Student Room Group

Grants approved on zero pounds?

Can someone explain why the first year of uni my application for student maintenance grants has been approved but on zero pounds, and second year instead I will receive some money, same details sent. I appreciate the grants this year but wonder if something went wrong last year. Thank you
when you say "zero pounds", is that you put down as your income? The maintenance grant is income based. If you're applying as a single independent student, it would just go on your income.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
when you say "zero pounds", is that you put down as your income? The maintenance grant is income based. If you're applying as a single independent student, it would just go on your income.

Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry my text was not clea as written before going to sleep. The letter they sent me for my first application said that it was approved and the money they'll will paying is £0 ... ok I thought, weird but ok. Second year I apply again and they grant me some money. I'm very happy but it makes me question why for the first year I was entitled to zero based on same information given.
Original post by Anna05
Thanks for your reply, I'm sorry my text was not clea as written before going to sleep. The letter they sent me for my first application said that it was approved and the money they'll will paying is £0 ... ok I thought, weird but ok. Second year I apply again and they grant me some money. I'm very happy but it makes me question why for the first year I was entitled to zero based on same information given.

Hi,

Had you studied any years before applying for these loans/grants? Did you receive a tuition fee loan last year?

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi,

Had you studied any years before applying for these loans/grants? Did you receive a tuition fee loan last year?

Thanks.

I am very new to all this a I am living in England since 2001 and have done all my studying in Italy so this is my first time applying for grants. KCC funds the course though
Original post by Anna05
I am very new to all this a I am living in England since 2001 and have done all my studying in Italy so this is my first time applying for grants. KCC funds the course though

Hi, as we cannot see your account to see why this would have been if you can call us to check this we can look to see why this was not awarded.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Hi, as we cannot see your account to see why this would have been if you can call us to check this we can look to see why this was not awarded.

Thanks.

Hi Erin,

Thank you for you help. I'm sorry to be a pain but I am a little lost as I am not sure what number to call and who to speak to. I already phoned the student finance and the person I spoke to could not give an explanation. After waiting online for a while she came back saying that they wanted to see a commitment, hence the payment only for the second year. But nobody else in my cohort was told this, and received money on their first year. I'm confused.
Hi there.

You mentioned you studied in Italy before. Any Higher Education studies you have taken in Italy will have to be included in your previous study.

By the sounds of it, you have informed us you have studied two years prior to this current course meaning that we would not be able to fund you for the first year of any new course.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Brian SFE
Hi there.

You mentioned you studied in Italy before. Any Higher Education studies you have taken in Italy will have to be included in your previous study.

By the sounds of it, you have informed us you have studied two years prior to this current course meaning that we would not be able to fund you for the first year of any new course.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply but I think you've mistake me for someone else as I never mentioned I studied higher education here before. I'm currently on year two of my first time university course. I received grants for year two but £0 for year one, still trying to understand why as my peer students received grants from year one. It is a very simple question, but hard to get a reply to.
Hi Anna05

I would advise you to call back so we can check what you have indicated on the application, or if we require any further information. Our telephone number is: 0300 100 0607

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Pamela SFE
Hi Anna05

I would advise you to call back so we can check what you have indicated on the application, or if we require any further information. Our telephone number is: 0300 100 0607

Thanks

I phoned that number twice and received two different answers: first was: "on first year we do not award grants, we want to see the commitment, then you'll get it the second year" second answer was: " it is down to your husband's income" (which has not changed in the past couple of years.) Hence my confusion.
Original post by Anna05
I phoned that number twice and received two different answers: first was: "on first year we do not award grants, we want to see the commitment, then you'll get it the second year" second answer was: " it is down to your husband's income" (which has not changed in the past couple of years.) Hence my confusion.

Hi Anna,

As we cannot see the details on your account it is hard to advise you the best way forward, if it is in regards to your partners income then he may need to provide some further evidence to update your account maybe? Please call us to discuss.

Thanks.
Reply 12
Hi Anna,

As we cannot see the details on your account it is hard to advise you the best way forward, if it is in regards to your partners income then he may need to provide some further evidence to update your account maybe? Please call us to discuss.

Thanks.

When I phoned I gave all the ditails they asked for and they did not request further evidence. They said it was all ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending