The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nessie162
A lot of farms accept students for 1-2 weeks at a time even if they're lambing for longer. Write and ask.

Also consider places further away from home as most places offer accommodation and if you're lucky the farmer might even pick you up from the train station (if it's close and they're not busy :wink: )

Thank you! I'll definitely try asking for shorter. Unfortunately it's doubtful I can go further as my Mam is ill :/
Original post by Louiseee_
whereabouts in the north are you?

Newcastle :smile:
Where are any other 2018 applicants thinking of applying to?
Original post by katerebecca
Newcastle :smile:

Damn, I live in Teesside so my contact are all more Yorkshire way :/ Although I *might* have a contact up your way so I'll PM you
Original post by Anderson2727

FOr me, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey :smile: what about you?

I want to apply to RVC, Bristol, Nottingham and Surrey, then possibly zoology at Nottingham as my fifth. What about you?
Original post by katerebecca
FOr me, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey :smile: what about you?

Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol and Edinburgh.

Are you not applying to a 4th? Whats your 5th un-veterinary application going to be??
Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol and Edinburgh.

Are you not applying to a 4th? Whats your 5th un-veterinary application going to be??

It sounds ridiculous but I haven't really thought it through, my school hasn't talked to us about it properly which kinda scares me for the fact it's less than a year before our applications have to be in 🙄 I really don't have much knowledge on the application process or anything 😫😫
Anyone else excited about the new and increased tuition fees? :ahee::frown:
Couldn't help the sarcasm... Especially as a future grad students this really hurtsssssss meeeee.
Damn it... And they're meant to increase every year too :frown:
Hello, I also wantto apply for 2018 but i don't think I'll be able to have enough WEX. Im in y12 and ive only done a week at a safari park. My birthday is late july so I've been rejected until then as i wasn't 16 and now when i email places they don't reply. I've been to a 3rd vet clinic last week to see if i could volunteer there but they said no. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by M12S
Hello, I also wantto apply for 2018 but i don't think I'll be able to have enough WEX. Im in y12 and ive only done a week at a safari park. My birthday is late july so I've been rejected until then as i wasn't 16 and now when i email places they don't reply. I've been to a 3rd vet clinic last week to see if i could volunteer there but they said no. Does anyone have any advice?

Instead of emailing go in, you'll have a lot more luck if you speak to them in person rather than emailing. You also need some farm husbandry experience and most farmers won't send you away if you go and ask them. For lambing try the NSA website as farmers often advertise for help on there. Don't give up at the first hurdle you will get some experience if you keep at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M12S

I would second what Lizzie has already said, but I also had a lot of luck with ringing people. Also if you want horsey experience try finding your local RDA stable- they will definitely take you on as a volunteer at 16
Original post by M12S

I've had a lot of luck with emailing people,but don't expect everyone (or even anyone!) to reply. I just looked for local farms, vet practices, kennels/cattery etc and emailed every one I found that would have been close enough to get to. Most of them didn't reply but from the ones who did I've managed to get lots of WEX.

Having said that, sometimes a phone call afterwards is needed (maybe a week or so later) to follow up and prove that you really are serious about it, often that can make the difference between getting and not getting a placement.
For liverpool uni, do I need 10 weeks? The site doesn't specify so I'm not sure.
Original post by VictiniCup
For liverpool uni, do I need 10 weeks? The site doesn't specify so I'm not sure.

Yep 10 weeks: 4 weeks clinical (in a vets) and 6 weeks animal husbandry (farm, riding school, kennels etc)
Original post by Canine Copycat
Yep 10 weeks: 4 weeks clinical (in a vets) and 6 weeks animal husbandry (farm, riding school, kennels etc)

So it wouldn't be worth applying if I can't get 10 weeks?
So it wouldn't be worth applying if I can't get 10 weeks?

Most likely not I'm afraid. Also, they specify ten but in reality many successful applicants have 20+ weeks. two years ago I applied with 16 weeks and didn't get an interview. Is there anywhere else you'd like to apply?
Looking at Glasgow, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and the RVC.
For work experience I have:
2 days in a lab
1 week at a vets

Planning:
Equine
Kennels
Large animal practice
For work experience I have:
2 days in a lab
1 week at a vets

Planning:
Equine
Kennels
Large animal practice

I've found equine placements to be a good way to get how much you have up quite quickly (does that make sense?!) because often especially at the weekend, riding schools etc could really do with an extra pair of hand and you might be able to get a long term placement doing every Saturday, for example, at a riding school - over 6 months that would become a further 5 weeks just doing 1 day a week (5 days in a week or 40 hours).

Just a thought but that's what worked for me!

Quick Reply

Latest