The Student Room Group

Is 7 hours of revision enough to get A's and A* at alevel

I don't do that much revision now but I just made a timetable. Considering I revised 5 hours a day (during exam season only) and none during the year apart from doing hw, I ended up with AABB. I don't think that's bad but I want the highest grades this year so do you think 7 hours every day until July is enough or too much?

Scroll to see replies

Nobody on this forum knows you, nobody knows how smart you are and how much revision you will need to do. There is not a set amount of revision time that everyone can follow in order to get certain grades.

However, it's definitely too much. I mean school is not that hard. The courses are not so long that it will take 600 hours of work away from school to go through the courses of what you are studying. Generally speaking, attending school and completing all the homework and studying it properly while you do it is technically enough if you are getting it right. Extra studying should be to support areas you aren't as strong in and to refresh bits you haven't done in a while. You do not need to do 7 hours a day on top of school to get good grades. Kudos for wanting to work hard but I say if you want to have a daily study session then 1 or 2 hours a day is more than enough.
Original post by hodobikar
I don't do that much revision now but I just made a timetable. Considering I revised 5 hours a day (during exam season only) and none during the year apart from doing hw, I ended up with AABB. I don't think that's bad but I want the highest grades this year so do you think 7 hours every day until July is enough or too much?

You should do one or two hours, but regularly and consistently. 7 hours is way too much!
Reply 3

Hours are not a good measure of progress in attaining the grades you want, however goals are. Set targets and see how long it takes you to complete them as long as you know what you need to do and how to do it. Remember, X may put in Y amount of hours per day towards their qualifications but might not be productive or achieve anything in that time.
Reply 4
I did 12 hours a day from march onwards, but I had double the amount of exams... I also know people who do zero revision and end up with full marks, and others who do maybe 3 hours a day in exam period after doing little bits throughout the year. Make sure whatever you do, you are happy with it.

Maybe you could try doing something like a revision timetable? I did this and it helps you plan what topic you will do each day. Make sure to keep the topics varied so you don't get bored, and give yourself strict breaks (50 mins revision, 10-15 minute break where you leave your desk, down some water, get some fresh air, lunch, dinner and time to relax before bed). Otherwise you won't be productive and will burn out. I gave myself a week or two before exams to then just calmly read things to jog my memory. If you do that amount of revision make sure you are strict with yourself and take a 10 minute break away from your desk every hour (maybe go outside) and take some time off at lunch and dinner, and before you sleep so your mind is rested.
Reply 5
Original post by Neurola
I did 12 hours a day from march onwards, but I had double the amount of exams... I also know people who do zero revision and end up with full marks, and others who do maybe 3 hours a day in exam period after doing little bits throughout the year. Make sure whatever you do, you are happy with it.

Maybe you could try doing something like a revision timetable? I did this and it helps you plan what topic you will do each day. Make sure to keep the topics varied so you don't get bored, and give yourself strict breaks (50 mins revision, 10-15 minute break where you leave your desk, down some water, get some fresh air, lunch, dinner and time to relax before bed). Otherwise you won't be productive and will burn out. I gave myself a week or two before exams to then just calmly read things to jog my memory. If you do that amount of revision make sure you are strict with yourself and take a 10 minute break away from your desk every hour (maybe go outside) and take some time off at lunch and dinner, and before you sleep so your mind is rested.

Thank you so much for the advice. I too have to re-sit my AS exams due to the fact that they have turned linear but I will literally follow your instructions by starting to make a timetable and taking breaks during my revision bc rights now I feel like I become ill every time I try to revise and I think its because I'm worn out.
Reply 6
Original post by sunshine774
You should do one or two hours, but regularly and consistently. 7 hours is way too much!

haha I figured. thanks for the advice!!!
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewSCO
Nobody on this forum knows you, nobody knows how smart you are and how much revision you will need to do. There is not a set amount of revision time that everyone can follow in order to get certain grades.

However, it's definitely too much. I mean school is not that hard. The courses are not so long that it will take 600 hours of work away from school to go through the courses of what you are studying. Generally speaking, attending school and completing all the homework and studying it properly while you do it is technically enough if you are getting it right. Extra studying should be to support areas you aren't as strong in and to refresh bits you haven't done in a while. You do not need to do 7 hours a day on top of school to get good grades. Kudos for wanting to work hard but I say if you want to have a daily study session then 1 or 2 hours a day is more than enough.

yeah you're right. I should have probably mentioned that I am not smart and in order for me to achieve such grades I need to work hard. for me school has always being hard especially when I
Reply 8
Original post by Hayytch
Hours are not a good measure of progress in attaining the grades you want, however goals are. Set targets and see how long it takes you to complete them as long as you know what you need to do and how to do it. Remember, X may put in Y amount of hours per day towards their qualifications but might not be productive or achieve anything in that time.

That is such great advice. THANK YOU
Reply 9
Original post by AndrewSCO

I should have probably mentioned that I am not smart and have found school difficult ever since I was a child, always being at the bottom of my class and in order to get what I want I have to try 3 times harder than the normal average person. Regardless, thank you for the advice. I'll try to make a timetable to do consistent revision for shorter persiods of time.
Uhm hem, soz but you did little revision last year and got AABB, that clearly shows you are smart! Well it depends what you call smart of course, maybe you go to a school where the average is even higher.. anyway, with those hours for y2 it should be theoretically possible to get the grades you want. it does honestly depend on the person though- I revised 10 hours a day and got Bs and Cs, whereas I know someone who revised 7 hours a day and got A*s and As. It also depends, now with the new marking system, on who you get as your examiner.
Original post by SabbyCat
Uhm hem, soz but you did little revision last year and got AABB, that clearly shows you are smart! Well it depends what you call smart of course, maybe you go to a school where the average is even higher.. anyway, with those hours for y2 it should be theoretically possible to get the grades you want. it does honestly depend on the person though- I revised 10 hours a day and got Bs and Cs, whereas I know someone who revised 7 hours a day and got A*s and As. It also depends, now with the new marking system, on who you get as your examiner.

10 HOURS?!:s-smilie: How did you manage that?:smile: What were your subjects?
Original post by sunshine774
10 HOURS?!:s-smilie: How did you manage that?:smile: What were your subjects?

I just had to really. I was doing A2s in 3 subjects, was fast tracking one of those (so the AS as well), was retaking three papers, and on top of that had to do General Studies. It was really hard but I got up early and switched to different subjects frequently to make it interesting. The work did kinda pay off (well so it seemed) at first when I was working right up to my exams at mostly A*s, but I only got BBCC on results day. So it literally does just depend on sheer luck sometimes and who you have as your teachers and examiners haha.
Also I did English Lang, English Lit, RS, and the aforementioned General Studies.
Reply 13
That is such great advice. THANK YOU

No problem. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by SabbyCat

Firstly, 10 hours of revision a day is crazy, but if it worked for you then thats cool. Secondly you're right i consider straight A* to be smart which is generally what people in my classes get. And thank you for the comment.

Per day? How would it be humanly possible, within reason, to do more than that?
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
Per day? How would it be humanly possible, within reason, to do more than that?

I only revised for 5 hours during exams from 5pm-10pm but I know people who revise 10 hours!!
I only revised for 5 hours during exams from 5pm-10pm but I know people who revise 10 hours!!

10 hours is too much. In my opinion, any length of time that impedes function as a human being is excessive.
Work smarter not harder - staring at your notes for 7 hours is not as practical as doing an hour long essay plus some flash cards and getting like 1h30 under your belt. My college recommended 4 hours per subject per week and I probably did no more than that (if that at all) and got AAAA in my AS levels.
Original post by FrenchNerd2
Work smarter not harder - staring at your notes for 7 hours is not as practical as doing an hour long essay plus some flash cards and getting like 1h30 under your belt. My college recommended 4 hours per subject per week and I probably did no more than that (if that at all) and got AAAA in my AS levels.

Also by starting now and doing a little bit a week, you don't have to go from 0 to 100 as soon as the exam season picks up. So if I do an hour a day up until my first exam, I can get over 200 hours of revision under my belt. If I start from the Easter holidays I'll only have 71 days so I'll have to do 3 times the amount of revision during a period where I'll be at my most tired. My logic is it's best to start now while you're still alive inside

Latest