The Student Room Group

Museum Studies in Amsterdam University or Leiden University

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at studying Museum Studies masters at either the University of Amsterdam or Leiden University. I live in England and haven't been able to visit Holland for the open days they're hosting.
Does anyone currently study Museum Studies? Could you let me know what you like about it and the department/study spaces/facilities, etc?

I have also been looking at accommodation and was wondering what are the best places to apply to?

Thank you!
Original post by ItisTasha
Hi all,

I'm currently looking at studying Museum Studies masters at either the University of Amsterdam or Leiden University. I live in England and haven't been able to visit Holland for the open days they're hosting.
Does anyone currently study Museum Studies? Could you let me know what you like about it and the department/study spaces/facilities, etc?

I have also been looking at accommodation and was wondering what are the best places to apply to?

Thank you!

Hi there, I don't study that course but I do do history at Leiden. I don't know how lucky you'd get finding a Museum Studies student on here as I think it is a smaller course. The history department in general is excellent, and in Archaeology the uni is very highly ranked, so I'd assume you would be well looked after here. There are a great amount of facilities for you and the archaeology building is brand new, with a lot of space for students. There are also a lot of great museums here, in fact only less than Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Housing can be tricky, but would be cheaper here than in Amsterdam. You can look on the Facebook page Leiden Housing if you want to find something on your own, or you can use the uni page on housing. They offer housing and also some places to look for your own.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by tobiasxjones
Hi there, I don't study that course but I do do history at Leiden. I don't know how lucky you'd get finding a Museum Studies student on here as I think it is a smaller course. The history department in general is excellent, and in Archaeology the uni is very highly ranked, so I'd assume you would be well looked after here. There are a great amount of facilities for you and the archaeology building is brand new, with a lot of space for students. There are also a lot of great museums here, in fact only less than Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Housing can be tricky, but would be cheaper here than in Amsterdam. You can look on the Facebook page Leiden Housing if you want to find something on your own, or you can use the uni page on housing. They offer housing and also some places to look for your own.

Hope this helps!

Thank you ever so much for your informative reply! It was very helpful. I have joined the Leiden housing Facebook page.

As you study history I was just wondering what the library is like and if they have a lot of resources?

Thanks!
Original post by ItisTasha
Thank you ever so much for your informative reply! It was very helpful. I have joined the Leiden housing Facebook page.

As you study history I was just wondering what the library is like and if they have a lot of resources?

Thanks!

The library is excellent, with a huge amount of resources. If it isn't physically there you almost always have access to it online. I think in the whole 2 years I have been here I found one book that was unavailable in the library/via library access online/online for free. I got a free student card for Amsterdam as a Leiden student and got it there! I guess in my field it is particularly good, but also in yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending