The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Differentiation... Help??

So I've embarked on the last chapter (8) of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook. I will post here for the times that I get stuck so I don't have to keep spamming TSR with new threads :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My first question is about the Chain rule...

Do I have to learn this version??...
Chain Rule.png

Or can I simply learn the other version which is...
dydx=dydu×dudx \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{dy}{du} \times \frac{du}{dx} ??

I'm not going to lie, I don't understand anything from the first set of formulas. As far as I'm aware, not even ExamSolutions covers it! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Here we go again!
Original post by RDKGames
Here we go again!

Just when you thought you heard the last of me :P
Original post by Philip-flop

Chain Rule.png

I'm not going to lie, I don't understand anything from the first set of formulas. As far as I'm aware, not even ExamSolutions covers it! :frown:

You can remember the last one because the ones above it have been derived by applying the one you know to certain forms of functions without loss of generality. I'll show you how your dydx=dydududx\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx} fits into the first two definitions. Though it tells you to learn them, I never did. You just get used to them as you practice them, and you can always derive them as I will show you below.

1. As an example, pick y=(x2+1)2y=(x^2+1)^2 then we let u=x2+1dudx=2xu=x^2+1 \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=2x and we also now have y=u2dydu=2uy=u^2 \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{du}=2u

So, coming from the rule you know, we say dydx=dydududx=2u2x=4x(x2+1)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\cdot \frac{du}{dx} = 2u \cdot 2x = 4x(x^2+1) from simplifying and reverting back to xx from uu

Now let's generalise this:

Say I have a function y=[f(x)]ny=[f(x)]^n. This would link to our example above because f(x)=x2+1f(x)=x^2+1 and n=2n=2.

Now what did we do? We set whatever is inside the bracket to some new variable, so we let u=f(x)dudx=f(x)u=f(x)\Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=f'(x) as required. And we are now left with y=uny=u^n which we know how to differentiate with respect to u so we get dydu=nun1\frac{dy}{du}=n\cdot u^{n-1}

Following, again, from the equation you know we get: dydx=dydududx=nun1f(x)=n[f(x)]n1f(x)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx} = nu^{n-1} \cdot f'(x)=n[f(x)]^{n-1}f'(x) as shown in the book.

2. As an example, pick f(x)=2x2+1f(x)=2x^2+1 and g(x)=x4x3+1g(x)=x^4-x^3+1 then we can let y=fg(x)y=fg(x) which you should recognise as a composite function. It means the exact same thing as y=f[g(x)]y=f[g(x)] just different notation.

So we have y=fg(x)=2(x4x3+1)2+1y=fg(x)=2(x^4-x^3+1)^2+1 and we want to differentiate this.

Now we let u=x4x3+1dudx=4x33x2u=x^4-x^3+1 \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=4x^3-3x^2

We also have y=2u2+1dydu=4uy=2u^2+1 \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{du}=4u

So, dydx=dydududx=4u(4x33x2)=16x3(x4x3+1)12x2(x4x3+1)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx} = 4u \cdot (4x^3-3x^2) = 16x^3(x^4-x^3+1)-12x^2(x^4-x^3+1)

Now let's generalise it.

We have y=f[g(x)]y=f[g(x)] and we let u=g(x)dudx=g(x)u=g(x) \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=g'(x)

And y=f(u)dydu=f(u)y=f(u) \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{du}=f'(u)

So; dydx=dydududx=f(u)g(x)=f[g(x)]g(x)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx} = f'(u) \cdot g'(x) = f'[g(x)] \cdot g'(x) as shown in the book.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
You can remember the last one because the ones above it have been derived by applying the one you know to certain forms of functions without loss of generality. I'll show you how your dydx=dydududx\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx} fits into the first two definitions. Though it tells you to learn them, I never did. You just get used to them as you practice them, and you can always derive them as I will show you below.
:smile:

Wow, thanks for that brilliant explanation!! I may have to read it a few more times to let everything fully sink in though! But this definitely makes more sense to me now! Thank you @RDKGames :smile: :smile:
Ok so here is my noob question of the day :colondollar:....

I'm currently watching a video on Exam Solutions about 'The Product Rule'...
The Product Rule.png

... But I've hit a brick wall. How do I differentiate the term
Unparseable latex formula:

e^3^x

... as in dvdx \frac{dv}{dx} part?
Ok so here is my noob question of the day :colondollar:....

I'm currently watching a video on Exam Solutions about 'The Product Rule'...
The Product Rule.png

... But I've hit a brick wall. How do I differentiate the term
Unparseable latex formula:

e^3^x

... as in dvdx \frac{dv}{dx} part?

v=e3xdydx=3e3xv=e^{3x} \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}=3e^{3x}

Use the chain rule with g=3xg=3x if you can't differentiate e3xe^{3x} all in one go
Reply 8

Chain Rule.png

If you had something like (3x2+3)4(3x^2+3)^4, you can differentiate that using the chain rule with the longwinded approach of making a substitution.

Or with practice you can do it the quick way in your head using the formula for the derivative of anything of the form f(x)nf(x)^n. And this extends to any composition of functions fg(x)fg(x).

Now you've had an explanation, can you differentiate (3x2+3)4(3x^2+3)^4 without using a substitution?
(edited 7 years ago)
v=e3xdydx=3e3xv=e^{3x} \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}=3e^{3x}

Use the chain rule with g=3xg=3x if you can't differentiate e3xe^{3x} all in one go

I still don't think I understand :frown:

I know that to differentiate you have to do dydx=nan1 \frac{dy}{dx} = na^{n-1} but I don't know how to use it on the e3x e^{3x}

taking your advice... I'm not sure I know how to apply the chain rule to it either :/
I still don't think I understand :frown:

I know that to differentiate you have to do dydx=nan1 \frac{dy}{dx} = na^{n-1} but I don't know how to use it on the e3x e^{3x}

taking your advice... I'm not sure I know how to apply the chain rule to it either :/

y=e3xy=e^{3x}

Let u=3xdudx=3u=3x \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=3 also y=eudydu=euy=e^u \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{du}=e^u

So dydx=...\frac{dy}{dx}=...
Original post by notnek
If you had something like (3x2+3)4(3x^2+3)^4, you can differentiate that using the chain rule with the longwinded approach of making a substitution.

Or with practice you can do it the quick way in your head using the formula for the derivative of anything of the form f(x)nf(x)^n. And this extends to any composition of functions fg(x)fg(x).

Now you've had an explanation, can you differentiate (3x2+3)4(3x^2+3)^4 without using a substitution?

Ok so...

If... y=(3x2+3)4 y=(3x^2+3)^4

then... f(x)=3x2+3 f(x) = 3x^2+3

To differentiate using the chain rule... [f(x)]n=n[f(x)]n1f(x) [f(x)]^n = n[f(x)]^{n-1}f'(x)
this gives ....
4[f(x)]3f(x)4[f(x)]^3f'(x)

4(3x2+3)3(6x)4(3x^2+3)^3(6x)

Am I right?
Reply 12
Ok so...

If... y=(3x2+3)4 y=(3x^2+3)^4

then... f(x)=3x2+3 f(x) = 3x^2+3

To differentiate using the chain rule... [f(x)]n=n[f(x)]n1f(x) [f(x)]^n = n[f(x)]^{n-1}f'(x)
this gives ....
4[f(x)]3f(x)4[f(x)]^3f'(x)

4(3x2+3)3(6x)4(3x^2+3)^3(6x)

Am I right?

Correct. Basically the chain rule is used when you have a function of a function. In reality that just means that there are brackets somewhere. So all of these can be differentiated using the chain rule:

(3x2+2)3(3x^2+2)^3

e(3x)e^{(3x)}

sin(x2)\sin(x^2)

Chain rule in words : Make a substitution for the stuff in the brackets then differentitate what you have now and then multiply by the derivative of the stuff in the brackets.

So (3x2+2)3(3x^2+2)^3 :

Start by differentiating t3t^3 which is 3t23t^2 then multiply by the derivative of 3x2+23x^2+2.

So you're left with 3(3x2+2)2×6x3(3x^2+2)^2 \times 6x

Next use the same method for e(3x)e^{(3x)}:

First differentiate ete^t which is ete^t (this is one of the standard derivatives that you'll need to learn).

Then multiply this by the derivative of 3x3x.

So you get e3x×3e^{3x} \times 3.

There are standard results that are useful to learn e.g. the derivative of eaxe^{ax} is aeaxae^{ax}. But you can derive all these quickly using the chain rule.
(edited 7 years ago)
y=e3xy=e^{3x}

Let u=3xdudx=3u=3x \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx}=3 also y=eudydu=euy=e^u \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{du}=e^u

So dydx=...\frac{dy}{dx}=...

Oh right I see!

I now understand that...
y=aex y = ae^x

when differentiating gives...
dydx=aex \frac{dy}{dx} = ae^x ... where a is a constant.

I think you've cleared this up now. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by notnek
Correct. Basically the chain rule is used when you have a function of a function. In reality that just means that there are brackets somewhere. So all of these can be differentiated using the chain rule:

(3x2+2)3(3x^2+2)^3

e(3x)e^{(3x)}

sin(x2)\sin(x^2)

Chain rule in words : Make a substitution for the stuff in the brackets then differentitate what you have now and then multiply by the derivative of the stuff in the brackets.

So (3x2+2)3(3x^2+2)^3 :

Start by differentiating t3t^3 which is 3t23t^2 then multiply by the derivative of 3x2+23x^2+2.

So you're left with 3(3x2+2)2×6x3(3x^2+2)^2 \times 6x

Next use the same method for e(3x)e^{(3x)}:

First differentiate ete^t which is ete^t (this is one of the standard derivatives that you'll need to learn).

Then multiply this by the derivative of 3x3x.

So you get e3x×3e^{3x} \times 3.

There are standard results that are useful to learn e.g. the derivative of eaxe^{ax} is aeaxae^{ax}. But you can derive all these quickly using the chain rule.

Thank you @notnek!! I'm still having trouble with the derivatives of exponential, natural logs, and trigonometric types. I know how to get there but I just don't fully understand how they are derived (if that makes sense?). For now I will just have to remember them and keep practising until everything clicks..

Differentiation Exponential, Log, and Trig types.png
Reply 15
Thank you @notnek!! I'm still having trouble with the derivatives of exponential, natural logs, and trigonometric types. I know how to get there but I just don't fully understand how they are derived (if that makes sense?). For now I will just have to remember them and keep practising until everything clicks..

Differentiation Exponential, Log, and Trig types.png

If you want help with these types then post some example questions.
Original post by notnek
If you want help with these types then post some example questions.

I just don't understand how the examples in the red boxes above differentiate to what they are, which is making it more difficult to remember them. But I will attempt some more questions on these early tomo morning and see whether I have any more questions :smile:
Reply 17
I just don't understand how the examples in the red boxes above differentiate to what they are, which is making it more difficult to remember them. But I will attempt some more questions on these early tomo morning and see whether I have any more questions :smile:

Oh I see. All of these are standard results that you need to learn for C3 but don't need to know where they come from.

There is no rule e.g. the chain rule to derive these results. They can be derived from first principles of calculus. You should google them if you want more explanation but you only need to quote them for C3 without proof.

You do however need to use the chain rule with these standard results. E.g. you need to be able to find the derivative of something like sin(x2)\sin \left( x^2\right) using the fact that the derivative of sinx\sin x is cosx\cos x.

EDIT : The derivative of tanx\tan x can be derived from the derivatives of sinx\sin x and cosx\cos x. You may be asked to show this in a C3 exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Oh I see. All of these are standard results that you need to learn for C3 but don't need to know where they come from.

There is no rule e.g. the chain rule to derive these results. They can be derived from first principles of calculus. You should google them if you want more explanation but you only need to quote them for C3 without proof.

You do however need to use the chain rule with these standard results. E.g. you need to be able to find the derivative of something like sin(x2)\sin \left( x^2\right) using the fact that the derivative of sinx\sin x is cosx\cos x.

EDIT : The derivative of tanx\tan x can be derived from the derivatives of sinx\sin x and cosx\cos x. You may be asked to show this in a C3 exam.

That's good then!!

Thanks again

Oh really? I may need to make note of how tan x is derived from the derivatives of sin x and cos x then. Once I figure out how how it is derived :tongue:
Reply 19
That's good then!!

Thanks again

Oh really? I may need to make note of how tan x is derived from the derivatives of sin x and cos x then. Once I figure out how how it is derived :tongue:

tanx=sinxcosx\displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}

Then use the quotient rule.

Quick Reply

Latest