The Student Room Group

Should the US hold a second election?

This poll is closed

Should the US hold a second election?

Yes they should have a second election 20%
No 67%
A democrat republican coalition should be allowed.12%
Total votes: 1444
We were discussing it in class today and my teacher is livid that Trump has won. In the ideal world Obama should refuse to leave the White House but more realistically we believe a second US election should happen to give Clinton or another democrat the chance be elected instead of Trump.

Another idea is that there should be a coalition with Clinton given vice presidency.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely. In 4 years time.
No. I'm not a fan of Trump but some people just need to accept that he won and get on with life.
Reply 3
Original post by Ambitious1999
We were discussing it in class today and my teacher is livid that Trump has won. In the ideal world Obama should refuse to leave the White House but more realistically we believe a second US election should happen to give Clinton or another democrat the chance be elected instead of Trump.

Another idea is that there should be a coalition with Clinton given vice presidency.

What do you think?

Neither of those ideas work.

We're just going to have to sit this one out for four years. Although technically the preparation for the next election begins now and people will begin considering standing in just over a year or so - especially the most prominent candidates.

2018 - people will start to consider whether to stand
2019 - invisible primaries and candidature announcements
2020 - primaries and election
So essentially keep holding elections until your preferred candidate wins? Sorry, but that's not how democracy or elections work. It doesn't matter that you hated the candidate - he won. It's done. Move on.

Jeez, the salt mines are more overworked than they were after Brexit.
Heres an idea, why don't we keep holding elections until the left get what they want; its the same with the brexit referendum; why not have unlimited referendums until we get the result these people want!
Simular question to when Brexit occured but when you add America into the equation things get amplified by 1,000.

In my opinion , no. The American people have spoken and I guess everyone would have to accept that.
Mind you, if I was voting I would have voted Clinton and I would have also voted to remain in the EU.
- I got my way in the election/referendum yay lets just go along with it now. Thanks democracy

- Democracy voted for the other guy and I lost Screw Democracy when things dont go my way.

- Lets use more democracy to get that thing re-appealed.

Some people only like democracy when it goes your way.

Democracy is the voice of the PEOPLE not the voice of YOU.
... do people not seem to know what democracy means?

you can't just keep trying until you get a result you're pleased with - it's not exactly a best of three situation or anything.
Reply 9

What do you think?
So by this reckoning anyone anywhere who doesn't like what the people have voted for for can simply revolt. Isn't that the opposite of democracy? That is how civil wars start sunshine.
Christ some people are so childish
Original post by adam9317
Heres an idea, why don't we keep holding elections until the left get what they want; its the same with the brexit referendum; why not have unlimited referendums until we get the result these people want!

Nah, don't even bother attempting to preserve an illusion of democracy, just make the world a giant leftist dictatorship, and make sure the guns are all taken away so people can't fight back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AperfectBalance
- I got my way in the election/referendum yay lets just go along with it now. Thanks democracy

- Democracy voted for the other guy and I lost Screw Democracy when things dont go my way.

- Lets use more democracy to get that thing re-appealed.

Some people only like democracy when it goes your way.

Democracy is the voice of the PEOPLE not the voice of YOU.

1) democracy is all about having elections. The people made a mistake and should be given a second chance.

2) if not there should be a republican democrat coalition as that would be the most democratic outcome where everyone wins.

In some occasions the people aren't always right are not sure what they are voting for and make mistakes. That's why young children are not allowed to vote. They don't understand the system.
In 4 years, yes. Not now.

Original post by adam9317

I don't think Trump supporters are in any position to throw stones, your man Donald repeatedly said he wouldn't accept the result of the election unless he got what he wanted. But I don't think many people seriously want to re-run the election - the left should (and from what I can see, is prepared to) give Trump a chance and hope he won't do too much damage. If he messes up, impeach him.
Democracy has spoken.
1) democracy is all about having elections. The people made a mistake and should be given a second chance.

2) if not there should be a republican democrat coalition as that would be the most democratic outcome where everyone wins.

In some occasions the people aren't always right are not sure what they are voting for and make mistakes. That's why young children are not allowed to vote. They don't understand the system.

So who decides who made mistakes? the opposing party?

People like you should never be allowed to vote you clearly do not understand the system
Reply 16

What do you think?

What makes you think that given a second election, people who voted Trump will suddenly switch to Clinton?
(edited 7 years ago)
Please deal with the fact that someone you wanted to win, didn't. The sooner you do, the sooner you will stop asking stupid questions.
Reply 18

Those comments are so dumb. Under a democracy there is no right or wrong way to vote. Just the outcome which has to be always accepted under a democracy....otherwise its not a democracy.

Are you in primary school by the way because you clearly don't understand the system!
Original post by nutz99
Those comments are so dumb. Under a democracy there is no right or wrong way to vote. Just the outcome which has to be always accepted under a democracy....otherwise its not a democracy.

Are you in primary school by the way because you clearly don't understand the system!

It shouldn't always be accepted, any good democracy should have some means to challenge results, especially when tight, and if deemed necessary for there to be reruns

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest