The Student Room Group

I can't do an A level

I'm in year 11 and so far have an A in Religious Studies and a B in core science. I want to become a psychiatrist and I know that I have to go to medical school etc etc and to do that you need chemistry, biology, maths or physics. Unfortunately, in London most of the really good sixth forms/colleges only allow you to do the sciences if you have two A's, and I really wanted to go to cambridge (who would probably reject me due to the B) so now i'm stumped and don't know what to do.. advice?
You need a back up plan. If you can't do the A levels you need to do then you're not likely to get into med school. Is there any other way you can do the A levels?
Original post by alleycat393
You need a back up plan. If you can't do the A levels you need to do then you're not likely to get into med school. Is there any other way you can do the A levels?

I'm not really sure.. I've been doing a lot of research and found this thing called a pre-medical year, which if I'm correct is a 6-year course (an extra year) for those who didn't do the correct A-levels. I've asked my form tutor who has an ex student who's a doctor (I think) and he's told me he'd ask her my questions..

Theoretically, I think that if I can find a university who does this foundation year then maybe I can still get into med school. The only other things I want to be aside from a psychiatrist is a singer or a writer which are both really hard to get into in my opinion
Lots of 6th forms in London will let you do science a levels with AB or BB have you not asked around? Also work hard and get an A* in additional science?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Lots of 6th forms in London will let you do science a levels with AB or BB have you not asked around? Also work hard and get an A* in additional science?

If I'm being honest I suck at looking for schools and I want to go to a really good one that isn't too far from south. Do you have any recommendations?
Original post by everythingjam
If I'm being honest I suck at looking for schools and I want to go to a really good one that isn't too far from south. Do you have any recommendations?

Talk to yohr schools career advisor but im sure a lot of schools allow BB at GCSE for a level sciences
Original post by SuperHuman98
Talk to yohr schools career advisor but im sure a lot of schools allow BB at GCSE for a level sciences

I don't think we have one, but we are doing career interviews next week.. not sure what it actually means but yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest