The Student Room Group

Good BEng vs not very good MEng

Hi,

I am currently doing MEng course in Automotive Engineering and it seems that I am completely lost and not going to get good marks by the end of MEng course, however I have 1st for my BEng course. The question is which qualification will be more favorable in terms of employment: strong BEng or 2:2-2:1 MEng?

Regards
Alex
Original post by Recont
Hi,

I am currently doing MEng course in Automotive Engineering and it seems that I am completely lost and not going to get good marks by the end of MEng course, however I have 1st for my BEng course. The question is which qualification will be more favorable in terms of employment: strong BEng or 2:2-2:1 MEng?

Regards
Alex

A 2:2 generally closes some doors, and an MEng is generally preferable to a BEng. Degrees aren't necessarily the be-all end-all of employment, though.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
A 2:2 generally closes some doors, and an MEng is generally preferable to a BEng. Degrees aren't necessarily the be-all end-all of employment, though.

I know that grades are not everything when looking for a job but if you have nothing else except grades...
Original post by Recont
I know that grades are not everything when looking for a job but if you have nothing else except grades...

Then why do you have nothing else except grades? You should have been applying for part-time jobs, internships, and voluntary positions from the moment you arrived at university.
Reply 4
Original post by #ChaosKass
Then why do you have nothing else except grades? You should have been applying for part-time jobs, internships, and voluntary positions from the moment you arrived at university.

I don't think that delivery driver position in a restaurant has something to do with engineering. Had a job in engineering company during summer but there was very little to do with engineering to be honest... Applied for placement year in past but had only 2 invitations for an interview out of about 12-15 applications.
Original post by Recont

I'd rather have an MEng, as long as it's at 2:1/Merit or above, because it won't close any doors (some companies have a minimum of an MEng or equivalent).
Reply 6
Original post by Recont
Hi,

Regards
Alex

If you're very close to completing the MEng do it even if you get a 2.2 (and its still accredited ) you'll be okay (I say this because it will still give you the option to work towards chartership). Of course ideally you want a 2.1 or higher but a 2.2 MEng won't close that many doors compared to a 2.2 BEng for example.

Siemens, Jaguar, Ford for example are still within reach.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Alternatively if you hate the course and dont really want a career in engineering leave with your BEng 1st class.
Reply 8
Original post by a10
If you're very close to completing the MEng do it even if you get a 2.2 (and its still accredited ) you'll be okay (I say this because it will still give you the option to work towards chartership). Of course ideally you want a 2.1 or higher but a 2.2 MEng won't close that many doors compared to a 2.2 BEng for example.

Siemens, Jaguar, Ford for example are still within reach.

Jaguar/Land Rover accepting 2:2 BEng. It would be really stupid to quit engineering because the only alternative is **** job where you get peanuts and treated like slave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending