The Student Room Group

Managing my time doing A levels

This is an extremely common problem but I'm really struggling trying to organise my time doing work for A levels and balancing it with my hobbies and my work. People have advised me to have a timetable for my homework but that isn't possible due to the fact that I'm constantly getting homework for the next day! Either that, or it's due in the next two days so the day I'll get it I prioritise what is due earlier...only thing is I'll leave stuff out while trying to prioritise all my subjects and I only take 3 (French, Spanish and Biology) but I'm drowning in work! Since September, the work that I haven't done I have to get up at 3am to finish off before I go to school and I'm so tired...I don't know what to do to be more organised; does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jend01
This is an extremely common problem but I'm really struggling trying to organise my time doing work for A levels and balancing it with my hobbies and my work. People have advised me to have a timetable for my homework but that isn't possible due to the fact that I'm constantly getting homework for the next day! Either that, or it's due in the next two days so the day I'll get it I prioritise what is due earlier...only thing is I'll leave stuff out while trying to prioritise all my subjects and I only take 3 (French, Spanish and Biology) but I'm drowning in work! Since September, the work that I haven't done I have to get up at 3am to finish off before I go to school and I'm so tired...I don't know what to do to be more organised; does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated :smile:

You're drowning in work? so you have a job and have to go to work?
If you do, then it's really a problem I think because A-levels do take time.
Reply 2
Original post by A.Caster
You're drowning in work? so you have a job and have to go to work?
If you do, then it's really a problem I think because A-levels do take time.

I work Friday evenings and Sundays. The weekends aren't usually a problem because there's no school so any work given to me on Friday is due at least Monday: it's really during the week where I'm struggling.
Ok this is a really common problem

1) Try a timetable again - if you know that everyday you get homework for the next day then include that time in your timetable. It will help you gain some control over the situation and see in black and white how much time you really have. A timetable isn't just about homework it is also about revising your subjects, or reading ahead of your subject (especially important for Biology) - doing this should make your homework a little easier and quicker in the long run.

2) Use your time wisely - don't forget about free periods and school/college, or commuting time. If your time is pushed these moments can give you a valuable edge.

3) Don't spend longer on things than you need to - you have to learn when to stop. Sometimes (and I don't know whether this is you or not) students waste there time on ridiculous things that they call work - eg making maths notes for example. Or they sit down for a three hour study session but only do about an hours worth of work - there is a lot of staring into space, checking the phone, thinking about something else, staring blankly at the text book - STOP! If this is you you should employ the Pomodoro technique where you only work for about 20 mins at a time. It is a much more efficient use of time.

4) I hate to tell you that if you have done all of the above for a couple of weeks and it is still not working - then something has to give - either hobbies or work. Your A'levels are only two years and you want to give them your best shot, especially if you want to go to uni, give it your best shot even if it means sacrificing something else. There are exceptions to that rule - if your hobby is a sport and you are really talented and training for the Olympics for example - or you have to work for a tangible reason (not just saving for uni).

Wish you all the best - hope this helps
Original post by Jade CMinds

1) Try a timetable again - if you know that everyday you get homework for the next day then include that time in your timetable. It will help you gain some control over the situation and see in black and white how much time you really have. A timetable isn't just about homework it is also about revising your subjects, or reading ahead of your subject (especially important for Biology) - doing this should make your homework a little easier and quicker in the long run.

2) Use your time wisely - don't forget about free periods and school/college, or commuting time. If your time is pushed these moments can give you a valuable edge.

3) Don't spend longer on things than you need to - you have to learn when to stop. Sometimes (and I don't know whether this is you or not) students waste there time on ridiculous things that they call work - eg making maths notes for example. Or they sit down for a three hour study session but only do about an hours worth of work - there is a lot of staring into space, checking the phone, thinking about something else, staring blankly at the text book - STOP! If this is you you should employ the Pomodoro technique where you only work for about 20 mins at a time. It is a much more efficient use of time.

4) I hate to tell you that if you have done all of the above for a couple of weeks and it is still not working - then something has to give - either hobbies or work. Your A'levels are only two years and you want to give them your best shot, especially if you want to go to uni, give it your best shot even if it means sacrificing something else. There are exceptions to that rule - if your hobby is a sport and you are really talented and training for the Olympics for example - or you have to work for a tangible reason (not just saving for uni).

^ THIS.

Hi jade, I'm also in 12 years. I'm struggling really bad with the workload so I wrote a Post on TSR. But lol no one has ever answered since.thank you so much for writing these 'tips on TSR. I'm not really good with timetables if I going to be honest. But I will try this. Also, when you said: wider reading - what do u mean ? Tysm yet again
I am having the same complete problem I don't even have time to make my homework the best they can be bc i always rush them.
Original post by jend01

Hm yes a very common problem, best thing to do is start the work the same day even if you don't finish it. If you have more than one homework given on that day make a start. I sometimes started it in class too. Use your free periods, lunch and break wisely. Also the best way is doing it with your friends so you're spending time with them and getting the job done. Also if it gets too much tell your teacher or your pastoral manager, im sure they don't want you to feel stressed.
Original post by Han-Mingi
Hm yes a very common problem, best thing to do is start the work the same day even if you don't finish it. If you have more than one homework given on that day make a start. I sometimes started it in class too. Use your free periods, lunch and break wisely. Also the best way is doing it with your friends so you're spending time with them and getting the job done. Also if it gets too much tell your teacher or your pastoral manager, im sure they don't want you to feel stressed.

This is such a good idea, but I am a lazy really person at college I just want to sit in the diner and eat and I don't have much frees as I do 4 subjects and I go to work after college. the only thing I can do is put time in in the mornings and late nighters.
Original post by hodobikar
This is such a good idea, but I am a lazy really person at college I just want to sit in the diner and eat and I don't have much frees as I do 4 subjects and I go to work after college. the only thing I can do is put time in in the mornings and late nighters.

Hm well it's hard when you want to balance work, study and being social but it's just finding the method that works and don't worry most people go through this.
Like for me as well I had my Alevels to balance (Maths, Biology, Phyics and Further Maths), and then on the weekends I had a 16hour shift crammed into two days and it was pretty hard. But I knew my studies needed to be a priority and I'm too lazy to wake up early, and all nighters can leave you drained for college the next day and you lose focus and don't concentrate.
Reply 10

Thank you so muchfor taking the time out to write a constructive answer for me! It's a lot to take on board but I'll try the timetable again and I would give up playing the flute (my hobby)
apart from it's the only thing I'm half decent at... I'll consider giving up my job if it doesn't work out :smile: anyway, thank you again!
Reply 11
With all due respect, I do make use of my frees and the time I have at home. You are implying that I'm too lazy to do my work perhaps...? Taking two languages was probably not a very good decision but they're what I'm good at so I spend hours memorising my lists of vocab and reading around the themes we do plus the revision and work for Biology...
Original post by jend01

Shame you can't develop a time machine with them choices...
Original post by jend01
Thank you so muchfor taking the time out to write a constructive answer for me! It's a lot to take on board but I'll try the timetable again and I would give up playing the flute (my hobby)
apart from it's the only thing I'm half decent at... I'll consider giving up my job if it doesn't work out :smile: anyway, thank you again!

If you don't want to give up your job completely you could always get rid of either the Friday or the Sunday. If you enjoy playing the flute then I would say ditch the job first, you can always get summer work after your A Levels.
Hope things work out alright for you:h:
Reply 14
Original post by poppyb787
If you don't want to give up your job completely you could always get rid of either the Friday or the Sunday. If you enjoy playing the flute then I would say ditch the job first, you can always get summer work after your A Levels.
Hope things work out alright for you:h:

I actually don't like playing the flute it just so happens I'm ok at it so nobody will let me quit haha, but thank you anyway :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Maths is Life
Shame you can't develop a time machine with them choices...

Haha I wish !
Original post by X_Hope_X
Hi jade, I'm also in 12 years. I'm struggling really bad with the workload so I wrote a Post on TSR. But lol no one has ever answered since.thank you so much for writing these 'tips on TSR. I'm not really good with timetables if I going to be honest. But I will try this. Also, when you said: wider reading - what do u mean ? Tysm yet again

By wider reading I mean reading around your subject - so for example - if you have done everything you have to do for school but still have a study spot free then read ahead of your subjects. I'm really thinking from a science point of view if I'm honest but I can imagine the same applies in other subject - for example maybe reading around (any thing other than the text book) a period of time you are studying, or youtubing some concepts you didn't fully understand. There is always something productive that you could be doing - especially at the beginning half of the school year when the work load is less intense.
Eh I would recommend putting your A Levels at the top, and working Friday's and Sunday's may not be a good idea because weekends is when you're supposed to be able to rest and catch up on stuff you may not have had time to do during the week. Possibly consider getting a zero hour contract/casual job e.g. at a stadium or something so that you can choose when to work and this should allow you to balance much better. I'm not sure where you live of course but if it's a city then you're bound to have a football or rugby stadium and they always have jobs (I work in Fulham FC) as long as they're decent sized, usually run by one of two companies (Compass Event Jobs or Delaware North).
Original post by jend01

Hi,

I made some videos for a private group I run - but I've made them public so you can look at them - I'll keep them up for the rest of November before I put them as private again.

Hope it helps

Jade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC9cV_sAWRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQm7l63au_c
By wider reading I mean reading around your subject - so for example - if you have done everything you have to do for school but still have a study spot free then read ahead of your subjects. I'm really thinking from a science point of view if I'm honest but I can imagine the same applies in other subject - for example maybe reading around (any thing other than the text book) a period of time you are studying, or youtubing some concepts you didn't fully understand. There is always something productive that you could be doing - especially at the beginning half of the school year when the work load is less intense.

Oh I see , thank you so much, you are a big help :smile:

What!!!! The workload intensifies later on in year 12? 😨😰😰

Quick Reply

Latest