The Student Room Group

Revision advice ( AS level)

Hello people, so I could do with a little advice. I'm starting to condense my school notes down into more smaller notes but wanted to know what I should do with them once I've condensed them? Should I read through them or create flash cards on them etc. ? My teachers say reading won't do anything but if there more basic notes would reading be more effective? Thank you for anyone who responds :smile: and in case it helps its mainly geography and English notes which I'm trying to condense
My teacher always suggested condensing notes into an A4 paper, then fold it in half condense the notes again, and again etc etc
Reply 2
Original post by ellerogerss
My teacher always suggested condensing notes into an A4 paper, then fold it in half condense the notes again, and again etc etc

Ok thankyou for the advice i appreciate it :smile: though what im confused about it what do you when you can't fold the paper anymore? Do you continually read your notes? or re write it out again?
Original post by Pedrex
Ok thankyou for the advice i appreciate it :smile: though what im confused about it what do you when you can't fold the paper anymore? Do you continually read your notes? or re write it out again?

Sorry didn't make that clear haha, basically I'll use a text book to copy out a page of notes on a certain section, for example in English I'll do a page of notes on a certain theme in a book. Then, read/memorise the notes and fold the page in half, then write from memory the notes but condense them (picking key words, quotes etc) it works for me to help remember key info
Once I've folded it once or twice and got it down to the essential info for the section I'm revising, I'll start a new section on a new piece of paper and do the same.
I copy out text book notes, condense that to flash cards, then to a detailed mind map then to a simper mind map, with less topics on one page. Yes afterwards you can re-read, but I find the creating of the resources more helpful, so maybe copying them out again, or testing yourself from them? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jazz_xox_
I copy out text book notes, condense that to flash cards, then to a detailed mind map then to a simper mind map, with less topics on one page. Yes afterwards you can re-read, but I find the creating of the resources more helpful, so maybe copying them out again, or testing yourself from them? :smile:

Sounds a great way to do it thanks!! :h: I'll probably do the flash card idea and the testing myself aswell which is what i was thinking of doing anyway, Thankyou :smile:
Reply 6
Sorry didn't make that clear haha, basically I'll use a text book to copy out a page of notes on a certain section, for example in English I'll do a page of notes on a certain theme in a book. Then, read/memorise the notes and fold the page in half, then write from memory the notes but condense them (picking key words, quotes etc) it works for me to help remember key info
Once I've folded it once or twice and got it down to the essential info for the section I'm revising, I'll start a new section on a new piece of paper and do the same.

Yes that's exactly the advice i need! Thanks for the help :smile: do you do English as well?
Original post by Pedrex
Yes that's exactly the advice i need! Thanks for the help :smile: do you do English as well?

No problem 😁 And yes I study English Lit, History & Politics
Reply 8
No problem 😁 And yes I study English Lit, History & Politics

Oh cool, i study literature as well, you got any tips on how to pass AS level literature aha?? As im guessing your in the second year as your doing 3 subjects :smile:
Original post by Pedrex
Oh cool, i study literature as well, you got any tips on how to pass AS level literature aha?? As im guessing your in the second year as your doing 3 subjects :smile:

Yeah I am in my second year, I got an A as AS in literature somehow :h: what books are you studying? I just made sure I knew the texts inside and out and knew points for each AO
Reply 10
Yeah I am in my second year, I got an A as AS in literature somehow :h: what books are you studying? I just made sure I knew the texts inside and out and knew points for each AO

wow nice one getting an A! :smile: and im studying King Lear, Death of a Salesman and The Great Gatsby. Ok thank you i'll try to memorize the whole books:tongue:
Original post by Pedrex
Hello people, so I could do with a little advice. I'm starting to condense my school notes down into more smaller notes but wanted to know what I should do with them once I've condensed them? Should I read through them or create flash cards on them etc. ? My teachers say reading won't do anything but if there more basic notes would reading be more effective? Thank you for anyone who responds :smile: and in case it helps its mainly geography and English notes which I'm trying to condense

Reading them again and again won't do any good!
Read it through once or twice just so you understand the topic, take notes and then apply that knowledge to exam q's- don't fool yourself in to thinking just because you have memorised or read something it is in your head- it isn't! It's essential you to use exam questions so as to get familiar with them- for some subjects (including one I am doing this year as my school was quite lenient luckily) I made such mistakes and the results wasn't good. For subjects I did use questions I was really surprised in a great way! Especially as 2 of those were subjects I hated and in particularly one I told myself I'd be so lucky if I got a C and it would be a miracle if my grade was a B...I actually came out with an A- so really you get what you put in and now this year I'm making sure I put that effort in especially for the subject I didn't do too well in at GCSE
GOOD LUCK! Btw condensing is a great way to revise too- I'll consider doing that too! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest