The Student Room Group

Despite all the entire establishment and media against him...how did Trump win?

Scroll to see replies

Because us lot on the right are smart enough to see through the liberal media and its lies.
They spoke against him in public and voted for him secretly. That's why.
Because Trump was high-energy, Clinton was low-energy

Just compare a Trump rally to a Clinton rally!
- Trump rallies filled entire stadiums
- Clinton rallies struggled to fill school gyms

Even after Brexit, people didn't realise you can't win by crying racist at people who disagree with you!
Because we (the people) were fed up.
People wanted something anti-establishment and it was literally the choice between someone anti-establishment and someone so unbelievably in line with the establishment.

Oh and people are morons who are led easily by hate and fear but hey.
At the end of the day, who were you to vote for? A liar, killer crook? or A Sexist, Racist pig?

In my opinion (so don't kill me), anyone who voted for trump is highlighting the discriminate ways they still have, however this does not apply to everyone. After all, the words "Make America great again" Are enough to get the votes of the people.
Actually an important point here about the role of the media.

I remember going to a political seminar after the 2010 election where a political communication academic predicted that in the UK, the 2015 election would be the last time the print and news media would really be decisive. He argued that by 2020, people would access most of the information they got on an election and candidates by social media, blogs and internet news sources ie they would not just depend on the Daily Mail and the Sun.

Now one of the theories of why Remain lost this election that has been put forward from inside the Remain-Cameron camp, is that Cameron was taken aback by the fact that the right wing tabloids were arguing against him, whereas in the past he'd been assured of their support and constant attacks on Labour, in fact he had harnessed them in the past with the narrative that Labour had been the party of mass migration and a strong Conservative government would bring immigration down from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands. But in the referendum, he was under attack for increasing net migration and was trying to take the line that restricting EU migration would "crash the economy" under fire from the right wing tabloids. The whole "the media was for leave" argument has been put forwards as a decisive point in the referendum.

But I am not so sure it is and I think the power of the traditional media (including tabloids) in terms of influencing elections is eroding. This will have a significant effect when politicians realise their influence is weakening and are less likely to be in the pocket of the press barons.

Whatever you think of Trump, the US media was stacked against him, Clinton had more donors and a much more professionalised campaign. Trump had to largely self-fund and he was also being attacked by a lot of Republicans as well.

I guess Trump is a natural media performer, he knew how to get publicity and also he had the authenticity that he didn't try to be something he was not. I expect a lot of Trump voters had the same view of him that Clinton voters did - he's a narcissist, he's a bully, racist, misogynist etc. They just didn't care, they thought "this guy looks like a real jerk, like me lol, he will be more fun than sanctimonious Hilary".
Reply 27
Original post by Tawheed
BBC was firmly for Clinton

CNN was the Clinton News Network

How did he win ?

1. Hillary Clinton is totally hated by the Republican electorate, so whatever their candidate, they were behind him.

2. Mainstream media and personalities kept saying that Trump and his supporters were racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. so many of them lied to pollsters. The democrats didn't see what was happening and couldn't react accordingly. I think the role of a newspaper shouldn't be trying to influence voters, but inform them.

3. In the Rust Belt, the states that Hillary Clinton lost, voters remembered that Bill Clinton said "NAFTA means good jobs", and then they have seen their factories closing and moving to Mexico. They voted against this heritage and policy.

Next time the Democrats will make a campaign on the ground. Going to concerts with Katy Perry and Beyoncé isn't enough.
Reply 28
Clint Trump.jpg

Jesus Christ, every time I see Clint Eastwood, I just see my dad... they look so much alike.

Great actor and a great man. I'm sure he has many more years ahead of him.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Actually an important point here about the role of the media.

I remember going to a political seminar after the 2010 election where a political communication academic predicted that in the UK, the 2015 election would be the last time the print and news media would really be decisive. He argued that by 2020, people would access most of the information they got on an election and candidates by social media, blogs and internet news sources ie they would not just depend on the Daily Mail and the Sun.

Original post by Josb

2. Mainstream media and personalities kept saying that Trump and his supporters were racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. so many of them lied to pollsters. The democrats didn't see what was happening and couldn't react accordingly. I think the role of a newspaper shouldn't be trying to influence voters, but inform them.

The media has hollowed out. There are far fewer journalists. What you have got are commentators. Writing opinion pieces from Washington or New York or London is dead easy and cheap.

Trump's lies were no more challenged by the press than the Brexit lies. Trump got away with contradictions and inconsistencies in his own positions and statements about the Clintons that were simply untrue. In previous campaigns you would have had journalists asking him the same questions over and over again until you had drilled into the public consciousness that Trump was unreliable about any political views. "Mr Trump did you not on such and such a day say so and so" There was none of that this time around.

Really there was very little digging down into Trump's past and associates. Finally of course no-one was out and about getting an on the ground assessment of the level of Trump's support where he won.

The Clinton campaign concentrated on Trump's outrageous statements. The Trump campaign attacked Clinton's record. What is now clear is that the press will no longer go after a candidate's past. It doesn't have the resources to do so. If the other candidate doesn't do it, no-one will.
Reply 31
Original post by Dodgypirate
Jesus Christ, every time I see Clint Eastwood, I just see my dad... they look so much alike.

Great actor and a great man. I'm sure he has many more years ahead of him.

Do you look like either of his sons, Kyle or Scot?

There's something about Clint, American psyche and the Mexican border.

One

Two ...
The world should give the big credit to 2 brave whistleblowers...Assange and Snowden. The crooks don't like them. But I do. :-)

1478863948118.jpg

1478863968664.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagicNMedicine
x

The mainstream media in the US has much less influence than the tabloids in the UK - the US has never really had a tabloid press. In the US talk radio is the equivalent of our tabloids. Americans (particularly in rural areas) spend an enormous amount of time in their cars listening to talk radio. Talk radio is different from tabloid media, because the radio jockeys aren't trying to promote a candidate to gain influence so much, they just want as many listeners as possible - in the same way facebook and twitter just want as many clicks as possible.

It is worth noting that in the swing states early on in election night Trump was edging it. The political analysts were still quite confident that Hillary would win because many "rural" counties had not been counted and they were solidly democratic. Those democratic rural counties didn't deliver for her.

Different societies have different forms of entertainment. For example in Russia the power of state media to influence people is enormous. And I don't think many people in the West understand the Chinese system. And the UK system is different to the US.

However the future of political influence is clearly moving away from domestic journalism and towards Facebook and Twitter. Zuckerberg is the challenger to Murdoch - as Zuckerberg has the power to control the flow of communications of the plebs.

In time I think facebook will fall out of fashion with the conspiratorial and hysterical right. Their messaging will be curtailed and they will notice Zuckerberg is a Jew...
Reply 34
Just switched off the Newsnight special on Trump, they are asking Trump voters about social issues, not what they really voted about - jobs and money; and people in the bubble who don't understand why others don't think the way they do.
Nothing new.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
Never underestimate the collective stupidity of humans.

Like those who voted in Blair three times?
Original post by Results
He visited Israel about 7 days ago

no he did not.

Reply 37
I think a lot of Americans are tuning into alternative new media.
Because Clinton was the worst candidate, and the views of the left made it difficult for Trump supporters to debate so most kept quiet and just voted when it mattered
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by NJA
I think a lot of Americans are tuning into alternative new m
edia.

Looking at this clip I can see why.
Trump said in 2001 what most would now say about Iraq, thousands of young Americans and Iraqis died because wother people's views held sway.

Did the media pump up this footage during the election campaign?
I didn't see it once!

No, it was just endless repeats of what he privately said years ago on that bus about women.

Quick Reply