The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Congrats to everyone on getting the results today, its such a tough exam and we all got through it, so I think we should be proud!

Just a question, I got S1: 65 S2: 60 S3: 45, this was my 1st time doing any science at all since the Leaving Cert 4 years ago so I will need to re-sit, is it realistic to think I could up my science score enough? Has anyone managed to go up that much (7-15 points) in any one section?

Might be doable, I spent 6 weeks studying with basically no understanding when I started, but may be a silly expectation.

Any advice would be amazzzzing!

Congrats again everyone :-)
So when do we find out cut-offs? The percentile curve is definitely shifted to the right so lower scores might be okay, but it was an absolute beast of an exam.
Original post by Themightylaa
The March exam appears to have been harder, the percentiles are higher for Base scores like 50 and 60. The September one was hard too though and so overall percentiles seem to be higher than the previous year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So cut off scores won't be higher, if anything they maybe a bit lower perhaps?

Thank you!

Original post by 10LFC10
42,55,57....so so angry about section 1 haha how about yourself ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh bummer :frown: Did you apply to all GAMSAT unis?

I sat the March one & got: 54,61,52 - Hopefully Liv won't increase their cut off :frown:
Congratulations! Well I've just spent the last twenty minutes with my nose touching the screen micro-comparing the 2015 and 14 curves to the September one. Last year cut offs of 60 were around 77th percentile whereas this year it's pretty much bang on 80th percentile. I'm hoping that means the cut off stays as 60 or even drops to 59 for Notts/George's.

My actual score was 60.33 and I've heard that they round up regardless of whether it's above .5 or not (contrary to our basic math knowledge). I'm going to email Sarb at Notts but can anyone confirm if this is true??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let us know the result because my overall score is 59.5, and to round up would make me a little bit happier!
Original post by sarankw
Congrats to everyone on getting the results today, its such a tough exam and we all got through it, so I think we should be proud!

Just a question, I got S1: 65 S2: 60 S3: 45, this was my 1st time doing any science at all since the Leaving Cert 4 years ago so I will need to re-sit, is it realistic to think I could up my science score enough? Has anyone managed to go up that much (7-15 points) in any one section?

Might be doable, I spent 6 weeks studying with basically no understanding when I started, but may be a silly expectation.

Any advice would be amazzzzing!

Congrats again everyone :-)

Yes its definitely possible! I jumped about 6+ marks for my S2 with a bit of essay practice. It is doable!

Good luck x
Original post by abcdeflynn
I got 59 which is sickeningly close!! Any hope do you think? I've applied to Notts, Liverpool and Swansea

Me too - same unis! Fingers crossed for us.
Original post by neuromeg
Me too - same unis! Fingers crossed for us.

I've applied to Liverpool too!

May I ask what your scores are?
Reply 847
Well done to everyone! I got 59,73,50: 58.5 overall.. Section 3 was supposed to be my best but it was an absolute slaughter on the day.. made worse by my poor meal planning which meant I was painfully hungry throughout!

Section 3 is below Keele's threshold of 55 so that's out of the running.. Just have to hope that the overall score is above Nottingham's yearly cut-off.

Does anyone know if you're more likely to receive a rejection early if it's GAMSAT based or could the rejection come at any point?

Good luck everyone!
Original post by NafNaf39
I've applied to Liverpool too!

May I ask what your scores are?

66, 66, 53 - Tbh I'm kinda relieved about the science section because I totally ran out of time and had to guess loads. At least it's above 50!! What about yours?

Ooops - I've applied to Liverpool too, haha twins! I don't expect to get an interview from them though cos I don't quite meet their requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neuromeg
66, 66, 53 - Tbh I'm kinda relieved about the science section because I totally ran out of time and had to guess loads. At least it's above 50!! What about yours?

Ooops - I've applied to Liverpool too, haha twins! I don't expect to get an interview from them though cos I don't quite meet their requirements.

Wow! Well done! Good thing its above 50 - that's what counts :smile:

I managed to score 55 overall - hopefully that's enough for Liverpool :frown:
Original post by tboyd1
Well done to everyone! I got 59,73,50: 58.5 overall.. Section 3 was supposed to be my best but it was an absolute slaughter on the day.. made worse by my poor meal planning which meant I was painfully hungry throughout!

Section 3 is below Keele's threshold of 55 so that's out of the running.. Just have to hope that the overall score is above Nottingham's yearly cut-off.

Does anyone know if you're more likely to receive a rejection early if it's GAMSAT based or could the rejection come at any point?

Good luck everyone!

Notts only double weigh your S3 if it's your highest section otherwise they take an average of the 3. I believe that puts you at 60? So hopefully that'll be enough for Notts, I don't see them having a 61 cut off this year but who knows!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 851
Notts only double weigh your S3 if it's your highest section otherwise they take an average of the 3. I believe that puts you at 60? So hopefully that'll be enough for Notts, I don't see them having a 61 cut off this year but who knows!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woooo! 50 was a typo too so that was 51 so overall would be 61!

Cheers for the reply!
Could you upload the March one as well? My score puts me in the 80th percentile roughly... I hope that's just enough! I'm looking for the 2015 percentile everywhere but can't find it to compare cut offs to percentiles!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The one below is the September 2015 curve:
Original post by tboyd1
Woooo! 50 was a typo too so that was 51 so overall would be 61!

Cheers for the reply!

Hopefully you should be getting interviews then! Like me your S2 pulled you up, I'm a science grad and yet somehow that was my worst section... 60.4 overall though so hopefully it's just enough by the skin of my teeth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 60, 74 and 42.
That's what happens when you decide half way that maybe medicine isn't for you.
I slept through section 3 and did B for all the answers.
However now I feel like I want to overcome my fear of GAMSAT questions and give it another go! They're so fiendish for a non-scientist. None of what I had read in the sciences helped. I think next time I would start with a book about logical reasoning and go from there rather than swallowing Khan Academy.

Well done and don't give up to everyone else!!!
Well done everyone who has scored well. For those that haven't don't worry, you can improve. I have managed to increase section scores as much as 10 points in the past, so it can be done.

Sitting the exam itself is an achievement, it's a draining and horrid experience but one I suppose we need to become familiar with if we wish to tread this path of medicine!

I'm expecting a drop of the overall scores by 1-2 points based on this years graph.
EDIT: After looking at the graphs again I am more inclined to feel as though the scores will stay the same, or MAYBE drop by a point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 856
Just saw the email, I thought the exam went horrendously but I managed S1: 64, S2: 62, S3: 57, O: 60 (61 on SGUL / Notts calculation). Pretty pleased to say the least!

I had a look this morning but didn't have much luck finding the percentile curves for previous years. Anyone have any idea how the percentile curve matches up to previous years, e.g. Is it to the right, left or roughly the same?

Edit: Just seen the above post, cheers!
Email from sarb said cut offs will be posted in about a weeks time so not much to do now except wait and see!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's sarb? Sorry if I'm being dense!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saward1988
What's sarb? Sorry if I'm being dense!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I should have been clearer haha she's the admissions person at Notts. Not too sure yet regarding other uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending