The Student Room Group

Do you think Trump will be a good pres?.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terraform
Now that it's official and all.

Have heard that he is against TTIP and willing to stop it. That would be a good start at least. I am sceptical. I have no expectations, it just can be changed for better.
During Nixon's famous visit to China in 1972, the Chinese PM was asked about the impact of the French Revolution. Chou En Lai replied "it's too early to say".
Only God knows. But surely Obama is not a good president. He's very naughty! Do you like peeping Tom? I don't. :-)

1478810911616.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trump's declarations for foreign policy look promising. He may end this sick competition for influence with Russia that results in Middle East and Ukraine being set on fire.

If the West can repair relationships with Russia, this will allow to end the crisis in Middle East, destroy the physical ISIS (the underground organization will survive anyway), and push the Turkey to release imprisoned jurnalists and stop the persecution of Kurds.

Russia has lot to offer, and we share enough cultural similarities to make friends. Only we need to stop making them being afraid of their national security.
That's like asking if unicorns will fall out of the sky. The obvious answer is no.
Yes

#MAGA
Original post by sunshine774
I'm a bit sceptical.:redface: The trouble is nobody actually knows where he stands with his policies YET...

Yes they do.

He is certain to repeal Obama Care.

He will tilt the balance of the Supreme Court to the Conservative side when vacancies occur (there already is one) which in the long term could mean Roe v Wade being overturned and also same sex marriages.

He will mess with the Paris Climate Change agreement to benefit carbon.

NATO members will be expected to pay 2% of their budgets on defence as per the Treaty obligations.

He will attack ISIS.

He will build some form of wall on the Mexican border.

There will be significant tax cuts.

There will be considerable infrastructure expenditure.

Relations with Cuba will be frozen again.

Relations with Russia will improve.

Al of those things are pretty much a given.
In a word: No. There's no way in hell that he'll be able to deliver most of what he's promised his naive supporters.

He'll leave in four years time to massive public backlash or in a wooden box (he'll be 74 - the man's not getting any younger!!)
Original post by Lh030396
In a word: No. There's no way in hell that he'll be able to deliver most of what he's promised his naive supporters.

As an American proverb says "A newly elected president is obliged to break all his promises as soon as possible."

Don't you know that political programs have been internally contradictive for decades, and only a part of it is usually presented, depending on particular voters?

George W. Bush was crap, and Barrack Obama was crap. Hillary would probably continue Barrack's foreign policy line which would be dangerous.
The man wants to punish people who break the law, which is not a bad thing.
The biggest problem may occur with some of his economical ideas and withdrawn of liberalism in political life. Still, some shock on establishment may be beneficial. We'll see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's see:

Wall built,
Taxes decreased,
Obamacare repealed,
Illegals deported,
Roe v Wade and same-sex marriage overturned,
Planned Parenthood shut down,
Common Core scrapped,
"Climate change" regulations reversed,
Political correctness resigned to the dustbin,
Stolen jobs brought back,
ISIS defeated,
Conservatives added to the supreme court.

All in all, I think it's looking pretty good if I may say so myself.
Reply 30
Original post by #ChaosKass
Let's see:

Wall built,
Taxes decreased,
Obamacare repealed,
Illegals deported,
Roe v Wade and same-sex marriage overturned,
Planned Parenthood shut down,
Common Core scrapped,
"Climate change" regulations reversed,
Political correctness resigned to the dustbin,
Stolen jobs brought back,
ISIS defeated,
Conservatives added to the supreme court.

All in all, I think it's looking pretty good if I may say so myself.

He can't overturn same sex marriage you buffoon.

You're way too optimistic for your own good. Calm your right wing tits down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think he will be good if he lowers taxes, deregulates, renegotiates trade deals and overall has a pro-business and job creation mindset. The healthy rise in the DOW and other stock markets suggests that investors are confident that he'll have a more pro-business agenda than Obama.
Original post by Trapz99
I think he will be good if he lowers taxes, deregulates, renegotiates trade deals and overall has a pro-business and job creation mindset.

Except he hasn't been elected on a platform of making California wealthier at the expense of the rest of the nation.

What you want is what the people who elected him in Ohio are unhappy about.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Estoy de acuerdo...

Oh sorry!:tongue: Haven't done spanish for a while now!
I went to sleep miserable. I woke up in a very, very good mood. Some of it was that the tension is over. The other part of it is that I believe in my people and I'm an insufferable optimist. Democracy —however much we hate it— works even when the results are not what we wanted.

We can try to distill this election down to things that Trump did or things that Clinton did. No matter what, this election was about wanting to disrupt Washington DC. I cannot say I'm numb to that. I was just unaware of how much people want that disruption now.

We will have that disruption. We will see a totally new *thing* as new as Barack Obama was a *new* thing when he won. This is unprecedented. Remember, all of my Democrat friends, that in politics worms turn very quickly and the worst possible thing a party can get, is: **to win an election.**

Populism won. I'm not immune to it. I heard —through the other stuff— the siren song that Trump was singing. I, too, felt that slight temptation to say, "**** them all. They don't care about us." Because I'm an insufferable optimist, I am now compelled to think, "Despite losing and feeling like I just got punched in the nuts, maybe this is how it should be."

Elections have consequences. They MUST have consequences. They MUST mean something. We spend so much time attacking the voters, but voters hold the power in this system and I respect that. I'm actually —in a miserable sense— cheerful that the system worked flawlessly. Good will come from this. In politics, the worst thing you can give a political party is to win. The worms turn more quickly like this and this now tells us one thing loudly: "The Warren/Sanders idealists now holds the power in the party." And maybe that's what we need! It's what energized the party to begin with.

Regardless of all my histrionics, this has happened. You don't get 4 or 5 or 7 stages of grieving. You cope with it now and move forward. Trump *will* be president of the United States. I'm bullish on the US and I look forward to seeing what good —and there will be some— will come from this. Then, in 2018, my fellow Democrats, remember this. We lost this election because like in 2010 and 2016, we stayed home.
Original post by sunshine774
Oh sorry!:tongue: Haven't done spanish for a while now!

Esta bien, no tengo nadie para hablar espanol desde la escuela :frown:
that's like asking "do you think humans can live underwater?"
Original post by Dodgypirate
Esta bien, no tengo nadie para hablar espanol desde la escuela :frown:

Oh, I feel sorry for you!:frown:
There's alot of evidence suggesting thatall the stuff he said was just a charade so I'd like to believe that he is actually nothing like he said and it was all for getting the majority vote . ...i could be very wrong.
Reply 39
Wait and see, but i don't think he will

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending