The Student Room Group

Just a quick maths question

This left me wondering...

Given that I want to complete the square of:

Could I just do this to make my life easier?

Original post by Aklaol
This left me wondering...

Given that I want to complete the square of:

Could I just do this to make my life easier?

No because x26x+7x2+6x7-x^2-6x+7\not= x^2+6x-7

Though you can indeed take out a factor of -1 and complete the square inside the bracket before multiplying through by -1.

So x26x+7=(x2+6x7)-x^2-6x+7=-(x^2+6x-7) and complete the square inside the brackets
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
No because x26x+7x2+6x7-x^2-6x+7\not= x^2+6x-7

Though you can indeed take out a factor of -1 and complete the square inside the bracket before multiplying through by -1.

So x26x+7=(x2+6x7)-x^2-6x+7=-(x^2+6x-7) and complete the square inside the brackets

Can't I multiply each side by -1 to get rid of the negative coefficient of x?
Well yeah but the conventional way is to put brackets around the equation and then put the '-' outside so its -(x^2 + 6x - 7) = 0 and then complete the square so -[(x^2-3x)-7-9] = - [(x^2-3x)-16] = -(x^2 - 3x) + 16
Original post by Aklaol
Can't I multiply each side by -1 to get rid of the negative coefficient of x?

If you are SOLVING the equation, then you can do it your way. But if you are expressing that quadratic in its completed square form, then you need to take into account the negative. Of course, you can go both ways and see that the completed square form equaling 0 can be written in either form regardless of the -1.
Reply 5
If you are SOLVING the equation, then you can do it your way. But if you are expressing that quadratic in its completed square form, then you need to take into account the negative. Of course, you can go both ways and see that the completed square form equaling 0 can be written in either form regardless of the -1.

So in theory, if I was to write this down

Would I be wrong?
Original post by Aklaol
So in theory, if I was to write this down

Would I be wrong?

Ah close.

x26x+7=(x2+6x7)=[(x+3)297]=16(x+3)2-x^2-6x+7=-(x^2+6x-7)=-[(x+3)^2-9-7]=16-(x+3)^2

Now if you're solving the quadratic equaling to 0, then the RHS will be equal to 0 - so if you multiply by -1 you will still get the same solutions.
Reply 7
Ah close.

x26x+7=(x2+6x7)=[(x+3)297]=16(x+3)2-x^2-6x+7=-(x^2+6x-7)=-[(x+3)^2-9-7]=16-(x+3)^2

Now if you're solving the quadratic equaling to 0, then the RHS will be equal to 0 - so if you multiply by -1 you will still get the same solutions.

And are you positive that I can't do this either?

(Multiplying each side by -1)

Completed square:

Original post by Aklaol
And are you positive that I can't do this either?

(Multiplying each side by -1)

Completed square:

Yeah you can. I was just initially pointing out that saying x26x+7=x2+6x7-x^2-6x+7=x^2+6x-7 is not correct, and you wouldn't be able to do this if it were just an expression.
Reply 9
Yeah you can. I was just initially pointing out that saying x26x+7=x2+6x7-x^2-6x+7=x^2+6x-7 is not correct, and you wouldn't be able to do this if it were just an expression.

One last thing, are these statements correct:

Original post by Aklaol
One last thing, are these statements correct:

That's right. If you plot them then it would be obvious how they are not the same, but their roots are.
Reply 11
That's right. If you plot them then it would be obvious how they are not the same, but their roots are.

Great, thanks.
Reply 12

Well actually, if I was to go on to solve this, would I get:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aklaol
Well actually, if I was to go on to solve this, would I get:

Should be -3 at the very last line.
Reply 14
Should be -3 at the very last line.

LOL I have no idea why I typed -2.
It isn't set to zero so you can't just change the signs of one side. You always have to balance it if that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest