The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Are foundation years worth it if you can get into the course instantly at a lower university.
Original post by debs20153
Are foundation years worth it if you can get into the course instantly at a lower university.

I think this would depend on a lot of things. For example your future career aspirations, your academic ability and whether you're willing to spend an extra year in education.

I would argue that going to the best possible department you can get into will have an impact on what networking or job opportunities you get exposed to, but that's not to say the better the university on the tables, the better the department is.

If you're needing to do a foundation year because you didn't get the grades, then you need to think about whether the grades you got reflect your ability or not. If you think they don't, then I would definitely consider a foundation year to make you eligible and make sure you're immersed with people of a similar aptitude, otherwise you may find yourself having to deal with always bearing the weight of less capable members in group projects.

I personally don't think the extra year at uni is all that bad. It means another year of student lifestyle, an extra year to prepare for graduate employability and if you're only doing the foundation year because you missed the grades you were capable of, then it should be a walk in the park as well.
bath or imperial
GCSE 1A*6A2B
AS AAAC maths physics chemistry further maths respectively
predicted A*A*A maths chemistry physics respectively
I meet imperials entry requirement but I know the other applicants have insane and better stats than I. Which one should I pick as my heavy hitter :smile: ?
Original post by Chemgawd99
bath or imperial
GCSE 1A*6A2B
I meet imperials entry requirement but I know the other applicants have insane and better stats than I. Which one should I pick as my heavy hitter :smile: ?

Imperial, incredible for engineering/science/everything and better rep both in the UK and internationally.
Original post by Chemgawd99
bath or imperial
GCSE 1A*6A2B

Although your grades do not stand out among the "supermen" applicants, I think you should still give Imperial a shot. After all, you did meet the minimum requirements and your PS/teacher reference/interview performance may be able to push you to the offer. As you have 5 options, I would recommend applying to both, Imperial as an aspirational choice and Bath as a safer choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChemEngGrad
I think this would depend on a lot of things. For example your future career aspirations, your academic ability and whether you're willing to spend an extra year in education.

I would argue that going to the best possible department you can get into will have an impact on what networking or job opportunities you get exposed to, but that's not to say the better the university on the tables, the better the department is.

If you're needing to do a foundation year because you didn't get the grades, then you need to think about whether the grades you got reflect your ability or not. If you think they don't, then I would definitely consider a foundation year to make you eligible and make sure you're immersed with people of a similar aptitude, otherwise you may find yourself having to deal with always bearing the weight of less capable members in group projects.

I personally don't think the extra year at uni is all that bad. It means another year of student lifestyle, an extra year to prepare for graduate employability and if you're only doing the foundation year because you missed the grades you were capable of, then it should be a walk in the park as well.

No i am doing a foundation year because my predicted grades are too low
I sent my application off on 14th October. I haven't heard from imperial yet but I've seen several people mention how they've had or been offered interviews already. Should I be worried?
Original post by patmccarthy
I sent my application off on 14th October. I haven't heard from imperial yet but I've seen several people mention how they've had or been offered interviews already. Should I be worried?

you can no nothing to your application at this stage so don't worry lol
Original post by neosynth
yh if you didn't go to target you have basically no chance of getting into front office anyway even without internships. im mostly going for technology or operations positions as i might have a slightly better chance there. not too sure atm though as i know they've already started giving out offers and i've had no interviews yet :/

Not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just applied to manchester wanting their engineering foundation year however i accidently applied to their chemical engineering Beng however i did put year 0 so will i be referred to the foundation year department
I just applied to manchester wanting their engineering foundation year however i accidently applied to their chemical engineering Beng however i did put year 0 so will i be referred to the foundation year department

phone or email them immediately
I've got an interview for Loughborough on the 7th! Any advice??

Posted from TSR Mobile
When did you apply? And dress smart make sure that you can answer any questions regarding your personal statement
Original post by Princepieman

Thanks for picking up on my hyperbole. Seeing as you're the expert in IB maybe you could offer some more info for anybody in this thread interested in pursuing a career in it.

2 days ago

Hi

I an a student from london and will be applying for Edinburgh for first year entry for chemical engineering with predicted grades of ABB (maths,chem,bio respectively) even though i know i can get an AAB but cant push my teachers anymore. Is it still likely for me to get an offer of an AAB for Edinbugh University for ChemEng with ABB predicted grades.

thanks

When did you apply? And dress smart make sure that you can answer any questions regarding your personal statement

I'm assuming this was meant to be quoted to me? If not, sorry!

My UCAS went through on 6/11/16. I got an acknowledgement on 8/11/16 and I got an interview invitation on 10/11/16.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AEFRGF

Hi

I an a student from london and will be applying for Edinburgh for first year entry for chemical engineering with predicted grades of ABB (maths,chem,bio respectively) even though i know i can get an AAB but cant push my teachers anymore. Is it still likely for me to get an offer of an AAB for Edinbugh University for ChemEng with ABB predicted grades.

thanks

I got an offer from Edinburgh for first year entry (forgot to put second year entry), with predicted grades of A*AAB and they gave me an offer of AAA, I think that is their standard offer for chemical engineering although the minimum is ABB.
Original post by AEFRGF

2 days ago

Hi

thanks

I was predicted AAA and got an offer of ABB, so I think it just depends on your overall application.
Reply 678
Sent off my application on the 7th October, just got an interview for Manchester for the 23rd!! Waiting for my other unis:afraid:
Has anyone got an offer from UCL yet?
Do UCL interview you or give u an offer straightaway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending