The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Did hurrendous and won't be meeting any cut offs this year. March here I come! So to all of you who did amazing (well done!!!) what is your advice?? Mainly for s3 as that was what was the hardest for me!
I actually found s1 practice material easy but in the exam really hard!!
Going to go home from work and start studying!
Also - to those of you who don't need them anymore would you like to sell or donate materials :-D
But most of all well done to those of you who smashed the deathly exam!!!!
I did email to find out for the previous years but this'll definitely benefit you guys who've applied to SGUL this year.

Had this in the GAMSAT email: "Cut-off scores in previous years are not relevant as in each year it is established on the performance of the cohort. However, it has ranged between 58 and 62 over the duration of the existence of the programme. It may be lower this year to reflect the smaller applicant cohort on the basis of raising the degree entry criteria."

I know she's used the word may, but it's a pretty strong indicator that it's actually dropped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year cut off's were released the day after results for Notts, not sure if I can cope with another week of waiting! Haha
This year scores S1: 61, S2: 66, S3: 53. 58 altogether, or 60 with Notts calculation.
First time in 3 sittings I've got a score above 50 for S3, improvement of 7 points on my last go. But have dropped points on S1 and S2 (got mid-70s on S2 the previous 2 sittings)... I basically ignored those sections to try and get my S3 up.

Fingers crossed.
Original post by KoalaMed
Last year cut off's were released the day after results for Notts, not sure if I can cope with another week of waiting! Haha
This year scores S1: 61, S2: 66, S3: 53. 58 altogether, or 60 with Notts calculation.
First time in 3 sittings I've got a score above 50 for S3, improvement of 7 points on my last go. But have dropped points on S1 and S2 (got mid-70s on S2 the previous 2 sittings)... I basically ignored those sections to try and get my S3 up.

Fingers crossed.

Well done for getting above 50 in S3! Huge acheivement :smile:
Original post by neuromeg
Well done for getting above 50 in S3! Huge acheivement :smile:

Thanks! I was beginning to believe it would never happen... just hoping sacrificing prep on S1 & S2 was worth it!
So if I sat Gamsat in both March and September will universities just pick which ever score is higher??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 866
Firstly, well done to everyone on the monumental task of sitting the GAMSAT! If you did badly, please don't be despondent (as the Japanese proverb goes: fall down 7 times, get up 8). This is my second time applying with 2 interviews under my belt first go around, theres a lot of luck involved in the medicine game!

Now for scores: 54-72-59 Overall: 61/83rd-ish percentile (62 by Notts and SGUL measure if they round up, that is)

Again, well done everyone. Its over, now to whiskey and the weekend!!! :biggrin:
Do SGUL use the overall score from GAMSAT or do they recalculate it using the individual scores from each section??
Original post by Chocoholic20
So if I sat Gamsat in both March and September will universities just pick which ever score is higher??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you email UCAS asking for them to send your march score to your universities?
Original post by izzypetrie
Do SGUL use the overall score from GAMSAT or do they recalculate it using the individual scores from each section??

I believe SGUL and Notts do the same thing, Notts look at your GAMSAT score from Acer, which is (S1+S2+(2×S3))/4 and they also do a separate calculation of (S1 + S2 + S3)/3. They then take the higher of the two scores.

So for mine I have 58 from Acer, and 60 using Notts other calculation, they would take the 60 score.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I've got that wrong!
Original post by MathsNinja
I got 59 overall (55,63,59) and I don't know how to feel about it, the cut offs are usually ~60 for SGUL and Swansea and I think I've fallen short :frown:

Original post by abcdeflynn
I got 59 which is sickeningly close!! Any hope do you think? I've applied to Notts, Liverpool and Swansea
I am 95% certain you'll be fine for Swansea and Liverpool.

Swansea invite top 25%
SGUL & Notts invite top 20%
Liverpool's are always much lower because of the stricter requirements (A-levels etc.)
Original post by Es0phagus
I am 95% certain you'll be fine for Swansea and Liverpool.

Swansea invite top 25%
SGUL & Notts invite top 20%
Liverpool's are always much lower because of the stricter requirements (A-levels etc.)

Where did you get the stat about Notts and SGUL interviewing the top 20%? I know it's usually about that but didn't realise it was actually a solid figure since I'm sure they've had cut offs around 70-75th percentile before. I got 60 so I am literally bang on the top 20% at 80th... hoping for interviews at all my choices really (Notts, Swansea, SGUL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 872
Original post by KoalaMed
I believe SGUL and Notts do the same thing, Notts look at your GAMSAT score from Acer, which is (S1+S2+(2×S3))/4 and they also do a separate calculation of (S1 + S2 + S3)/3. They then take the higher of the two scores.

So for mine I have 58 from Acer, and 60 using Notts other calculation, they would take the 60 score.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I've got that wrong!

Yes, this is the correct way they de-select applicants. Do you know if they round up? my Notts/SGUL formula score is 61.666667 with an ACER mark of 61. Interviews either way, I hope!
Original post by izzypetrie
Did you email UCAS asking for them to send your march score to your universities?

Hey yeah I did..
Does that mean the unis will look at both and pick the higher one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 61 using the S1+S2+2xS3 / 4 method, and 64 using the S1+S2+S3 / 3 method :smile: S1: 66, S2: 71, S3: 54. Feeling very pleased with myself as an English Lit student who hadn't done any science since age 16! I can't quite believe it.

Very hopeful for a Nottingham interview and quietly confident for SGUL - although their cut off last year was 62. I've heard mixed info on which method they use. Gutted if I miss it by 1!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themightylaa
Where did you get the stat about Notts and SGUL interviewing the top 20%? I know it's usually about that but didn't realise it was actually a solid figure since I'm sure they've had cut offs around 70-75th percentile before. I got 60 so I am literally bang on the top 20% at 80th... hoping for interviews at all my choices really (Notts, Swansea, SGUL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just based on the percentile graphs from the past years when I examined them previously; the overall cutoff always correlated to the 80th percentile for SGUL and 75th for Swansea. If you find any different, let me know.
@paniking_and_not_revising

paniking_and_not_revising has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

So can't message you :frown:
Original post by NafNaf39
@paniking_and_not_revising

paniking_and_not_revising has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

So can't message you :frown:

omg I've been on TSR for way too long. I didn't realise I had so many messages. Sorry. I've deleted some btw.
Original post by Marathi

I'm expecting a drop of the overall scores by 1-2 points based on this years graph.
EDIT: After looking at the graphs again I am more inclined to feel as though the scores will stay the same, or MAYBE drop by a point.

So you reckon SGUL will stay at 62? :frown:

Can we absolutely clarify, how do SGUL calculate their score? /3 way or S3x2/4 way?
Original post by EllyJelly
So you reckon SGUL will stay at 62? :frown:

Can we absolutely clarify, how do SGUL calculate their score? /3 way or S3x2/4 way?

SGUL was 60 last year. I think they do the normal ACER way, because if I recall correctly last year they discontinued the unbiased science version - leaving only Nottingham to do so. But I'll look into that.

Either way, they would use both methods and go with the highest score.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest