The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello,
Thanks for starting this thread. My daughter is applying to PBS at Jesus College, Cambridge. I am writing to find out if the dates have been set for the interviews at Jesus for PBS. Probably just nerves, but we are all anxious to know more about the timelines...

Thanks and would greatly appreciate your reply.

Kind regards,
Anxious mum
Original post by achiever's_mum
Hello,
Thanks for starting this thread. My daughter is applying to PBS at Jesus College, Cambridge. I am writing to find out if the dates have been set for the interviews at Jesus for PBS. Probably just nerves, but we are all anxious to know more about the timelines...

Thanks and would greatly appreciate your reply.

Kind regards,
Anxious mum

Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm afraid that I don't know the answer as I don;t have information on particular interview dates for individual subjects across the Cambridge colleges. Sorry. The interviews are highly likely to fall between Monday 5 and Wednesday 14 December - it certainly won't be after the latter date. She can email Jesus College to ask if the dates have been set yet. She may not get an instant reply but it won't damage her chances by annoying anyone! :smile:
Hello!

I've heard someone already has an interview for Medicine? Does this mean some colleges do offer interview before BMAT results are released?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by CutieTootsie
Hello!

I've heard someone already has an interview for Medicine? Does this mean some colleges do offer interview before BMAT results are released?

Thank you!

Most colleges don't do this and will wait for the BMAT before but communicating with all medicine applicants. Some might do, though especially with candidates from overseas in order to ensure that they can get a visa. As I said earlier in the thread, there will always be candidates to whom one is going to offer an interview regardless of BMAT and some people take the view that they should simply be contacted.
Original post by CutieTootsie
Hello!

Thank you!

Pretty sure it's only for graduate medicine so far. Don't panic 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Is this typical for all colleges? In particular the bit about "In practice, decisions on who to call to interview will be made as follows: The core of the pre-interview ranking will be academic track-record: GCSE or IGCSE results or equivalent..."

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/how-apply/admissions-assessments/#
Original post by thelusa
Pretty sure it's only for graduate medicine so far. Don't panic 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not panicking 😊 Just intrigued
Original post by jneill
Is this typical for all colleges? In particular the bit about "In practice, decisions on who to call to interview will be made as follows: The core of the pre-interview ranking will be academic track-record: GCSE or IGCSE results or equivalent..."

https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/undergraduates/how-apply/admissions-assessments/#

I don't think most colleges view things quite so explicitly as that in ranking candidates or particular characteristics within an applicant profile but at lot of what is mentioned there will be factored into the thinking at all colleges. Where Churchill are acting differently is in not using Section 2 for decisions about interviews.
Reply 68
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
I don't think most colleges view things quite so explicitly as that in ranking candidates or particular characteristics within an applicant profile.

Ok, thanks.
Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm afraid that I don't know the answer as I don;t have information on particular interview dates for individual subjects across the Cambridge colleges. Sorry. The interviews are highly likely to fall between Monday 5 and Wednesday 14 December - it certainly won't be after the latter date. She can email Jesus College to ask if the dates have been set yet. She may not get an instant reply but it won't damage her chances by annoying anyone! :smile:

Thanks for your prompt reply. Truly appreciate this.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Truly appreciate this.

You are very welcome. Best of luck to your daughter. :smile:
You are very welcome. Best of luck to your daughter. :smile:

Thank you so much. I truly hope she gets in, if this is what is the right thing for her. 11 A*s and 1 A in GCSE, Predicted grades of 2 A* and 1 A....she has worked very hard. God bless these kids and hope they continue to make use of opportunities that come their way to become good human beings. Thats all that matters.
Thank you so much. I truly hope she gets in, if this is what is the right thing for her. 11 A*s and 1 A in GCSE, Predicted grades of 2 A* and 1 A....she has worked very hard. God bless these kids and hope they continue to make use of opportunities that come their way to become good human beings. Thats all that matters.

Amen to that! It's a privilege to see so many enthusiastic, talented and hard working students every year. It's a great joy to give some of them places here and a responsibility on us to make the right decision and on them, if they get in, to make the most of the opportunity.
"Please note that, in deciding who to call to interv
iew, we will only use performance in admissions assessments positively, not negatively, i.e. no one will be ruled out of interview by their performance in an admissions assessment, but applicants who perform strongly in an assessment, but who otherwise we were not planning to call to interview, may be invited."

Hello,
This statement is from Churchill college. I was wondering if you know if at Murray Edwards or other colleges a similar approach would be used regarding AAs? I understand this is college specific but maybe you would have some insight on this :colondollar:

Thanks a lot from a panicking NatSci applicant :s-smilie:
Original post by IcedArizona
"Please note that, in deciding who to call to interv
iew, we will only use performance in admissions assessments positively, not negatively, i.e. no one will be ruled out of interview by their performance in an admissions assessment, but applicants who perform strongly in an assessment, but who otherwise we were not planning to call to interview, may be invited."

Hello,
This statement is from Churchill college. I was wondering if you know if at Murray Edwards or other colleges a similar approach would be used regarding AAs? I understand this is college specific but maybe you would have some insight on this :colondollar:

Thanks a lot from a panicking NatSci applicant :s-smilie:

Surely if this is the case more people than usual will be interviewed this year?
Would you advise a revision of interview technique and/or preparation for pre-admission aspects such as this, prior to the extension of an invitation for interview at your institution? I have delayed it thus far as I currently doubt my performance in the ELAT this year; I understand this to have a bearing in your decision. Thank you
Original post by domaths
Surely if this is the case more people than usual will be interviewed this year?

Well I don't know, it's not very likely that a candidate with otherwise weaker academic performance will score extremely highly though. Maybe in some rare cases but I doubt it will make a huge change in the proportion of candidates called for interview. Not sure but that's how I would see it :smile:
Well I don't know, it's not very likely that a candidate with otherwise weaker academic performance will score extremely highly though. Maybe in some rare cases but I doubt it will make a huge change in the proportion of candidates called for interview. Not sure but that's how I would see it :smile:

Hmm yeah, I just don't know who fits the profile of weak academic performance now due to AS reforms. Before weak GCSEs could be saved by high UMS but now they don't have that I don't understand how they will decide the weaker candidates... There's so much uncertainty with the new system that I feel some candidates who may have done excellently in the old system won't even get interviews in the new system so it's a real shame.
Original post by domaths
Hmm yeah, I just don't know who fits the profile of weak academic performance now due to AS reforms. Before weak GCSEs could be saved by high UMS but now they don't have that I don't understand how they will decide the weaker candidates... There's so much uncertainty with the new system that I feel some candidates who may have done excellently in the old system won't even get interviews in the new system so it's a real shame.

True - I don't understand much about the reformed linear not linear stuff about A levels as I'm an EU student but anyways, there are still some subjects that are unreformed, like maths right?
True - I don't understand much about the reformed linear not linear stuff about A levels as I'm an EU student but anyways, there are still some subjects that are unreformed, like maths right?

Yeah some subjects still have UMS, I just find it hard to think of what criteria is being used now to decide not to take someone for interview if as Churchill say they will not be using AAs

Latest

Trending

Trending