The Student Room Group

Steamboat Mickey's Year 13 and beyond blog

:work: Steamboat Mickey's Year 13 and beyond blog :work:

I grew far too lazy on the other thread that I made, so I've decided to start again.

I can feel myself getting a little lazy with revising/studying so I need to give myself a kick and start working hard again.

A little bit about me:

Spoiler

Grades so far:

Spoiler

Extenuating Circumstances:

Spoiler

Subjects:

Spoiler

A2 Predicted Grades and Year 13 Aspirations:

Spoiler

Progress Tracker grades so far:

Spoiler

Universities applied to:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey

:work: Steamboat Mickey's Year 13 and beyond blog :work:

I grew far too lazy on the other thread that I made, so I've decided to start again.

I can feel myself getting a little lazy with revising/studying so I need to give myself a kick and start working hard again.

Grades so far:

Spoiler

Extenuating Circumstances:

Spoiler

Subjects:

Spoiler

A2 Predicted Grades and Year 13 Aspirations:

Spoiler

Progress Tracker grades so far:

Spoiler

Universities applied to:

Spoiler

Good luck, I think you have done amazingly well, especially considering your circumstances. I have little doubt that you will do well this year :smile:
Original post by CatusStarbright
Good luck, I think you have done amazingly well, especially considering your circumstances. I have little doubt that you will do well this year :smile:

Thanks very much :h: that means a lot!
Good luck, those grades are amazing even without those circumstances! Subbing :smile:
Thanks very much :h: that means a lot!

Good luck! :hugs: You can do this! Subbed :cool: :five:
Original post by furryface12
Good luck, those grades are amazing even without those circumstances! Subbing :smile:

Wow thanks haha :redface: :h: it really does mean a lot :h:

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Good luck! :hugs: You can do this! Subbed :cool: :five:

Ah thanks Cheese! Lots of love from a Steamboat to a Vegetable :biggrin: :hugs:
Wow thanks haha :redface: :h: it really does mean a lot :h:

Ah thanks Cheese! Lots of love from a Steamboat to a Vegetable :biggrin: :hugs:

:colondollar: :hugs: You are too kind :tongue:
:colondollar: :hugs: You are too kind :tongue:

Not as kind as you are!! :tongue:
I read your story, I must say I'm touched by your resilience. I hope you stay strong and keep fighting. I'm applying to Cambridge this year as well, and I really wish to meet you one day and congratulate you in person on making it! Btw you receiving two offers is a good sign and shows you're doing something right!
Original post by Student1256
I read your story, I must say I'm touched by your resilience. I hope you stay strong and keep fighting. I'm applying to Cambridge this year as well, and I really wish to meet you one day and congratulate you in person on making it! Btw you receiving two offers is a good sign and shows you're doing something right!

Why thank-you very much :h: I've tried my best, I can't say it's been an easy road but it'll hopefully be worth it one day. :hugs: Don't worry I won't give up now, I feel like I've came too far. The greatest reward has been going from a sick disabled child to a recovering from medical issues high-flyer in such a short space of time.

I hope to meet you at Cambridge as well, although I highly doubt my chances as I'm sure most applying have much better grades than I. Best of luck with your application! May I ask what course you are wanting to pursue? :smile:
Why thank-you very much :h: I've tried my best, I can't say it's been an easy road but it'll hopefully be worth it one day. :hugs: Don't worry I won't give up now, I feel like I've came too far. The greatest reward has been going from a sick disabled child to a recovering from medical issues high-flyer in such a short space of time.

I hope to meet you at Cambridge as well, although I highly doubt my chances as I'm sure most applying have much better grades than I. Best of luck with your application! May I ask what course you are wanting to pursue? :smile:

When I saw you claiming to have bad AS grades I assumed B's and C's, AAB isn't bad especially taking into your circumstances! As a Cambridge applicant myself I know the best way to feel assurance is to heard an example of someone with similar grades who succeeded. I know a girl who got an offer at Cambridge from my area last year and she only hand 2 A's in AS. (no extenuating circumstances either!) so the point is if someone can get in with 2 A's and no extenuating circumstance does you definitely have a chance! And finally to answer your question, I'm hoping to do Natsci . I know; we're everywhere... (unfortunately) XD
Ignore the spelling mistakes, on my phone and TSR is bad on mobile.
When I saw you claiming to have bad AS grades I assumed B's and C's, AAB isn't bad especially taking into your circumstances! As a Cambridge applicant myself I know the best way to feel assurance is to heard an example of someone with similar grades who succeeded. I know a girl who got an offer at Cambridge from my area last year and she only hand 2 A's in AS. (no extenuating circumstances either!) so the point is if someone can get in with 2 A's and no extenuating circumstance does you definitely have a chance! And finally to answer your question, I'm hoping to do Natsci . I know; we're everywhere... (unfortunately) XD

Haha thanks. I consider the B bad, though, it's in History, which is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. :redface: You've made me feel a whole lot better with that story! I can only hope that Cambridge looks at my grades the way others on here seem to look at them. As exceptional giving the circumstances. I can't say I feel confident. I'd love to go, but I'm awfully insecure about my academics because everyone else has such amazing grades and I look like a poor excuse for a student. :colondollar:

I will have to be honest... that admissions assessment didn't seem to go too bad, though. Fingers crossed!! I may have just spectacularly failed. How did you find yours?

Yeah, Natsci people are everywhere. There are so many applying from my sixth form college! :tongue: Which college have you applied to?
Ignore the spelling mistakes, on my phone and TSR is bad on mobile.

I know the app and mobile site aren't the greatest. Don't worry about it! :h:
Reply 14
Well done on your offers so far!! I'm sure you'll do amazingly this year :h: Hope the Cambridge application process goes well for you:smile:
Original post by fuzz13
Well done on your offers so far!! I'm sure you'll do amazingly this year :h: Hope the Cambridge application process goes well for you:smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Entry I

Sunday 13th November 2016

Hello, everyone!

Okay, let's get cracking:

History

I can't complain. We did a practice for Paper 1, Section C and the whole class got U's. I got an A*. :yeah:

We did do a progress tracker assessment and I do not think that it's A*, or even A grade quality. :K:

I also spoke someone who goes to Oxford, and used to go to my secondary school, she said that she thinks I'm better at History than anyone she knows at Oxford. She invited me to go stay with her so I can visit the libraries at Oxford University. She's really nice and when her first term has ended we're going to go out for coffee since she lives in my town. :yep: That made me feel pretty special!

Weekly subject goals:

This week I think I'll start revising Key Topic 1 for my Paper 1 History. I'll go through my 60-page timeline and ask my teacher how I can solidify the information into my mind to ensure I can get full marks again.

I think I will also do some work on Key Topic 1 for my Paper 2 History. I might try to write some essay plans for it.

English Language

Nothing remarkable.

We began our Language Investigation project. I'm doing Brexit, which is interesting since I do like Politics. My friend is doing something History related. I don't envy her because I feel like I can easily get an A* with Brexit since it's so easy to do. I'd rather not take a risk when my A-Level grade relies on doing a good job, and to get where I want to be in life I want to do as well as I can. I'd rather play it safe.

Weekly subject goals:

I think that this week I will just continue with my coursework, making sure I analyse my data to its full potential.

I think I'll also print out all of my Children's Language Acquisition material so that I can make sure it's in my folder and begin to go over it a little ahead of the summer exams. :h:

English Literature

It's been an interesting week in the world of Steamboat Mickey's English Lit class!

My English Literature teacher is amazing. There's never a dull moment with her!

We did a progress tracker assessment in English Literature too. I have no idea how I did, but it could've been worse. I think I need to polish a few skills and catch up on some reading.

We also began our coursework and my teacher called me a numpty because she didn't agree on the way I'd interpreted a few poems. I think if anything ever irritates me about English Literature, it's the fact that you can supposedly interpret texts in whatever way you want... but teachers find a way to restrict your thinking. :angry:

I also get taught by a Durham masters student who I think is trying to get into Oxford to do his PhD. He's pretty nice (although he's a typical Oxbridge reject) and I like to engage in any discussion but sometimes I feel like I make an idiot out of myself. :facepalm:This week he discussed essay skills, and I can't remember what he'll be discussing this coming Friday.

Weekly subject goals:

Catch up on reading the Handmaid's tale

Annotate the Whitsun Wedding's for English Literature coursework and at least complete the introduction and one point.

EPQ

:hide:

PANIC!!

I seriously have no idea what I'm doing

My Supervisior is rubbish

I want an A*

I want to change my EPQ direction

We have to have it in by the end of term

I want to cry

Weekly subject goals:

Sort this stress out

Get back on track and finish the mid-project review section of the log.

I just need to find an appropriate title and speak to a member of staff about my complete lack of direction. @wolfmoon88 and I have discussed comparing the French and American revolutions, and the way the Enlightenment impacted them both.

Miscellaneous:

Well, this week has been interesting. I think we can all agree that we've had enough politics for the year, and no matter what happens it'll be an interesting few years. One for the History books, definitely. I'd love to write about the how the decisions made in the UK and America are reflective of political History and the implications they have had on the shaping of the 21st century. In thirty or so years time, of course.

So, nothing exciting has really happened with my life lately.

I went to the hospital and they've decided I need a whole blood check because my chronic fatigue syndrome is getting worse, but it's nothing a bucket full of vitamins can't fix. I finally finished 'The Spirit of Capitalism and the Protestant Ethic' which I'm going to try to reflect upon ahead of any possible interview. I also had two progress tracker assessments, and I'm dreading the results. I'll discuss those a little later.

I really want to start playing the Sims again but I suppose I need to get on with my A-Level work. I don't know. Maybe I can give myself a night off after college and play it for a few hours? That would be fun!

I kind of want to do a picture of the week, but I wonder if my good friend @CheeseIsVeg would think that I am copying their meme of the week idea? :tongue: (Love you cheese) (I did copy the layout of my entries from you, hope you don't mind :wink:)

Spoiler

Entry I

Hello, everyone!

History

I can't complain. We did a practice for Paper 1, Section C and the whole class got U's. I got an A*. :yeah:

We did do a progress tracker assessment and I do not think that it's A*, or even A grade quality. :K:

I also spoke someone who goes to Oxford, and used to go to my secondary school, she said that she thinks I'm better at History than anyone she knows at Oxford. She invited me to go stay with her so I can visit the libraries at Oxford University. She's really nice and when her first term has ended we're going to go out for coffee since she lives in my town. :yep: That made me feel pretty special!

Weekly subject goals:

This week I think I'll start revising Key Topic 1 for my Paper 1 History. I'll go through my 60-page timeline and ask my teacher how I can solidify the information into my mind to ensure I can get full marks again.

I think I will also do some work on Key Topic 1 for my Paper 2 History. I might try to write some essay plans for it.

English Language

Nothing remarkable.

We began our Language Investigation project. I'm doing Brexit, which is interesting since I do like Politics. My friend is doing something History related. I don't envy her because I feel like I can easily get an A* with Brexit since it's so easy to do. I'd rather not take a risk when my A-Level grade relies on doing a good job, and to get where I want to be in life I want to do as well as I can. I'd rather play it safe.

Weekly subject goals:

I think that this week I will just continue with my coursework, making sure I analyse my data to its full potential.

I think I'll also print out all of my Children's Language Acquisition material so that I can make sure it's in my folder and begin to go over it a little ahead of the summer exams. :h:

English Literature

It's been an interesting week in the world of Steamboat Mickey's English Lit class!

We did a progress tracker assessment in English Literature too. I have no idea how I did, but it could've been worse. I think I need to polish a few skills and catch up on some reading.

We also began our coursework and my teacher called me a numpty because she didn't agree on the way I'd interpreted a few poems. I think if anything ever irritates me about English Literature, it's the fact that you can supposedly interpret texts in whatever way you want... but teachers find a way to restrict your thinking. :angry:

I also get taught by a Durham masters student who I think is trying to get into Oxford to do his PhD. He's pretty nice (although he's a typical Oxbridge reject) and I like to engage in any discussion but sometimes I feel like I make an idiot out of myself. :facepalm:This week he discussed essay skills, and I can't remember what he'll be discussing this coming Friday.

Weekly subject goals:

Annotate the Whitsun Wedding's for English Literature coursework and at least complete the introduction and one point.

EPQ

PANIC!!

I want an A*

I want to cry

Weekly subject goals:

Sort this stress out

I just need to find an appropriate title and speak to a member of staff about my complete lack of direction. @wolfmoon88 and I have discussed comparing the French and American revolutions, and the way the Enlightenment impacted them both.

Miscellaneous:

Well, this week has been interesting. I think we can all agree that we've had enough politics for the year, and no matter what happens it'll be an interesting few years. One for the History books, definitely. I'd love to write about the how the decisions made in the UK and America are reflective of political History and the implications they have had on the shaping of the 21st century. In thirty or so years time, of course.

I went to the hospital and they've decided I need a whole blood check because my chronic fatigue syndrome is getting worse, but it's nothing a bucket full of vitamins can't fix. I finally finished 'The Spirit of Capitalism and the Protestant Ethic' which I'm going to try to reflect upon ahead of any possible interview. I also had two progress tracker assessments, and I'm dreading the results. I'll discuss those a little later.

I really want to start playing the Sims again but I suppose I need to get on with my A-Level work. I don't know. Maybe I can give myself a night off after college and play it for a few hours? That would be fun!

I kind of want to do a picture of the week, but I wonder if my good friend @CheeseIsVeg would think that I am copying their meme of the week idea? :tongue: (Love you cheese) (I did copy the layout of my entries from you, hope you don't mind :wink:)

Spoiler

Congrats on your offers :smile: I am still waiting on mine but I have an interview from Manchester which is a plus :tongue:

In terms of Sims, I would wait until Christmas break cuz that's what I'm gonna do. It takes me forever to create characters anyways xD
Entry I

Hello, everyone!

History

Weekly subject goals:

English Language

Nothing remarkable.

Weekly subject goals:

English Literature

Weekly subject goals:

EPQ

PANIC!!

I want an A*

I want to cry

Weekly subject goals:

Sort this stress out

Miscellaneous:

Spoiler

Haha its all good!
Wow! Keep up the good work! You got this :rave:
ALSO re: epq, feel free to talk through it with me or a friend of mine whom i am unable to tag. I think it could really help you!
Haha its all good!
Wow! Keep up the good work! You got this :rave:
ALSO re: epq, feel free to talk through it with me or a friend of mine whom i am unable to tag. I think it could really help you!

Oh please, I am really stressing!!!

Quick Reply

Latest