The Student Room Group

Chemistry help !!!

Intramolecular and Intermolecular forces between Stearic acid( C18H36O2) and Paraffin wax (CnH2n+2) ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes. There is.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
Yes. There is.

which kind of intermolecular and intramolecular forces are found in stearic acid and paraffin wax?
Reply 3
Original post by 15asaddiqa
which kind of intermolecular and intramolecular forces are found in stearic acid and paraffin wax?

What types of inter- and intramolecular forces do you know?
Reply 4
Original post by alow
What types of inter- and intramolecular forces do you know?

inter- vdw,dipole-diploe and hydrogen bonding
intra- covalent,metallic and ionic
Reply 5

Describe the steps you would use to carry out recrystallisation of the crude methyl 3 nitrobenzoate obtained at the end of step 8(when ice has melted the impure methyl3nitrobenzoate is filtered off under reduced pressure and washed with ice cold deionised water) in order to remove any soluble impurities. Note the solvent i need to use for this is ethanol
Intramolecular and Intermolecular forces between Stearic acid( C18H36O2) and Paraffin wax (CnH2n+2) ?

can someone please help with this with working preferably

Fe2O3 plus 3Co --> 2Fe plus 3Co2
What mass of carbon monoxide is needed to react with 2.08g of iron oxide?

2Fe plus 3Cl2 --> 2FeCl3
What mass of chlorine reacts with 20.0g of iron to from iron(III) chloride?

2NH3 plus H2O2 --> N2H4 plus 2H2O
Hydrazine (N2H4) is used as a rocket fuel. It can be made by reacting ammonia with hydrogen peroxide. What mass of ammonia is need to make 148g of hydrazine?

Inter-molecular:
Well, both stearic acid and paraffin wax are quite long-chained, so I'd imagine the Van-der-Waals forces are going to be quite noticeable.
Any polarity in Stearic acid due to the carbonyl group is pretty much eliminated because Stearic acid has an 18-long carbon chain and anyways the effect of a permanent dipole-dipole attraction becomes diminished in carboxylic acids of chains longer than 6 (fatty acids).
No hydrogen bonding I guess?

Quick Reply

Latest