The Student Room Group

My GCSE grades...

For my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (Maths and Further Maths), 5A's (Core Science, Additional Science, Further Additional Science, French, Religious Studies), 4B's (Music, Computer Science, English Literature, English Language) and 1C (Geography). I am now in year 12 and I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A Levels. Do you think I have enough GCSE grades for Dentistry?

Thank you
Im going to be honest with you here, for medicine and dentistry I think you would need more A*s, overall you would need minimum 4A*s i think to have a shot. Most unis give scores to each grade and you have to have a minimum score for you to be considered, im not an expert so dont go off my words only.
Reply 2
Original post by Dilzzz
For my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (Maths and Further Maths), 5A's (Core Science, Additional Science, Further Additional Science, French, Religious Studies), 4B's (Music, Computer Science, English Literature, English Language) and 1C (Geography). I am now in year 12 and I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths for A Levels. Do you think I have enough GCSE grades for Dentistry?

Thank you

Some universities such as Leicester will have a point scoring system for your top X number of GCSE's. There is sometimes a minimum requirement or a recommended requirement to have a good probability of being successful. However, other universities will simply state the minimum entry requirements which are usually passes in English and Maths. However, remember GCSE's are not the end all and be all in what your chosen university is looking for, although some may emphasise on them more than others particularly due to the A-level reforms. If you achieve good As grades, a good UKCAT/BMAT score, and have a well-written personal statement/reference I would see no harm in applying as you would stand a good shot.
Original post by samendrag
Im going to be honest with you here, for medicine and dentistry I think you would need more A*s, overall you would need minimum 4A*s i think to have a shot. Most unis give scores to each grade and you have to have a minimum score for you to be considered, im not an expert so dont go off my words only.

Thank youu
Original post by Hayytch
Some universities such as Leicester will have a point scoring system for your top X number of GCSE's. There is sometimes a minimum requirement or a recommended requirement to have a good probability of being successful. However, other universities will simply state the minimum entry requirements which are usually passes in English and Maths. However, remember GCSE's are not the end all and be all in what your chosen university is looking for, although some may emphasise on them more than others particularly due to the A-level reforms. If you achieve good As grades, a good UKCAT/BMAT score, and have a well-written personal statement/reference I would see no harm in applying as you would stand a good shot.

Thank youu
These GCSE's sound pretty good to me. Remember, GCSE grades are only 1 aspect that dental schools consider. You also have Alevel predictions, UKCAT/BMAT score, personal statement and interview.

Many have also got into dentistry through graduate entry. Most people take something like biomed.
Original post by Lewismioc
These GCSE's sound pretty good to me. Remember, GCSE grades are only 1 aspect that dental schools consider. You also have Alevel predictions, UKCAT/BMAT score, personal statement and interview.

Many have also got into dentistry through graduate entry. Most people take something like biomed.

Very true, thank youu!

Quick Reply

Latest