The Student Room Group

How to ace English lang & lit A level?

I've just started year 12 English Language and Literature and don't have any stable teachers (they keep leaving, I've had three in 8 weeks).
I really want an A/A* in my final grade and it would be great if someone could give me advice on how to do this? The independent work I need to be doing as well because I'm not getting this help from my teachers/English department.
Hey there!
I'm currently studying English Lit & Lang at A-Levels so I've already done my AS. Do I have any tips for you? Hmmm. Yes I do! It does suck when lecturers are unable to support you. And that is something that you should really get sorted. Keep pestering the college about it because with this subject it's important that you have the support there. But what can you for yourself? Well, checking out the Exams boards' specification. See what it says so you can produce a checklist for yourself. Read the set book, keep on top of it. Repetiton is good. Your knowledge will be tested in the exam. Begin to analyse the book. Highlight the crap out of it! Go on sparknotes for detailed notes on main characters. With English, you can't really revise like Hisory or say Biology because it's the skills that are required for the exam. Get old past papers and start having a go at the questions. Mark them yourself or hand them into your lecturer. The exam itself especially paper one is set on comparison points so start having a go at comparing two data. This gets you into the routine of being able to compare and contrast two poems for example. It's all good and all being able to analyse a single poem but in the exam you'll be expected to compare two together.

What have you been taught? What exam board and books have you been set? I might be able to help you more if I know. My advice is limited because of this.

Reply soon!

VAMP
Reply 2
Original post by MissVampire
Hey there!
I'm currently studying English Lit & Lang at A-Levels so I've already done my AS. Do I have any tips for you? Hmmm. Yes I do! It does suck when lecturers are unable to support you. And that is something that you should really get sorted. Keep pestering the college about it because with this subject it's important that you have the support there. But what can you for yourself? Well, checking out the Exams boards' specification. See what it says so you can produce a checklist for yourself. Read the set book, keep on top of it. Repetiton is good. Your knowledge will be tested in the exam. Begin to analyse the book. Highlight the crap out of it! Go on sparknotes for detailed notes on main characters. With English, you can't really revise like Hisory or say Biology because it's the skills that are required for the exam. Get old past papers and start having a go at the questions. Mark them yourself or hand them into your lecturer. The exam itself especially paper one is set on comparison points so start having a go at comparing two data. This gets you into the routine of being able to compare and contrast two poems for example. It's all good and all being able to analyse a single poem but in the exam you'll be expected to compare two together.

What have you been taught? What exam board and books have you been set? I might be able to help you more if I know. My advice is limited because of this.

Reply soon!

VAMP

Thank you for your reply! Great advice there, really useful :smile: AQA is the exam board and the books we are working on so far is Frankenstein and the Paris Anthology. I don't think we will know which poems we will be using yet but would it be worth practicing with poems used in previous years?
Many thanks
MGreenland5
Original post by MGreenland5
Thank you for your reply! Great advice there, really useful :smile: AQA is the exam board and the books we are working on so far is Frankenstein and the Paris Anthology. I don't think we will know which poems we will be using yet but would it be worth practicing with poems used in previous years?
Many thanks
MGreenland5

Yes, I'm doing AQA. Yay! Okay, only difference is I've done Handmaid's Tale. That's quite concerning if you lecturer hasn't told you what poems your doing because for exmaple I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy's poems. So, your lecturer needs to tell you which person you are studying. I'd enquire about that.

I can give you defo advice about Paris though! Start anaylsing them now! Now, what paper two wants you to look at is attitudes. At my college we use this acronym PAGAN CALM meaning:
P-PURPOSE
A-ATTITUDES
G-GENRE
A-AFFORDANCES
N-NARRATOR

C-CONSTRAINTS
A-AUDIENCE
L-LITERAINESS
M-MODE

By this, this is what you are looking for when making comparative points. I'm hoping that you've been taught what you need to be doing in Paris. But the whole of is it in summary is using these to make points. I would start early analysing each of these and I know there is lot! But try at least doing one or two a day. I hope that helps.

If you could find out what poems you're doing, I could help from there on.

:smile:
Reply 4
Yes, I'm doing AQA. Yay! Okay, only difference is I've done Handmaid's Tale. That's quite concerning if you lecturer hasn't told you what poems your doing because for exmaple I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy's poems. So, your lecturer needs to tell you which person you are studying. I'd enquire about that.

I can give you defo advice about Paris though! Start anaylsing them now! Now, what paper two wants you to look at is attitudes. At my college we use this acronym PAGAN CALM meaning:
P-PURPOSE
A-ATTITUDES
G-GENRE
A-AFFORDANCES
N-NARRATOR

C-CONSTRAINTS
A-AUDIENCE
L-LITERAINESS
M-MODE

By this, this is what you are looking for when making comparative points. I'm hoping that you've been taught what you need to be doing in Paris. But the whole of is it in summary is using these to make points. I would start early analysing each of these and I know there is lot! But try at least doing one or two a day. I hope that helps.

If you could find out what poems you're doing, I could help from there on.

:smile:

ee thank you!! okay, I will ask about the poems that we will be studying tomorrow. Thank you for this, I will message you when I found out about the poems if that is ok? :smile: :smile: :smile:
ee thank you!! okay, I will ask about the poems that we will be studying tomorrow. Thank you for this, I will message you when I found out about the poems if that is ok? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Yes that is fine! I really do hope I've helped you!!!
Many thanks
MGreenland5

Hey! :smile: at AS I did Frankenstein and the Paris anthology, which I really enjoyed. For Frankenstein we used extracts from the book to help us write essays to know what was expected of us in the exam, for example 'How is blahblahblah presented in this extract?' Or 'How is blahblahblah's perception of blahblahblah portrayed in this extract?' I never got good grades on them ngl, but now I'm in Year 13 going over the AS content it really helps to do past or made up questions. For my own revision I'm using the YorkNotes revision guide, which helps SO SO much. As for the Paris Anthology, we just went through every extract we could and pieced together how Paris or anything else that is the main theme is presented. We also did lots of recasts and commentaries (the fun part!!! Really enjoyed this) and went over the English language frameworks.

If you need any help then please PM me, I didn't get a good grade at AS at all, but I would like to help someone else get an even better grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by thevamps99xo
Hey! :smile: at AS I did Frankenstein and the Paris anthology, which I really enjoyed. For Frankenstein we used extracts from the book to help us write essays to know what was expected of us in the exam, for example 'How is blahblahblah presented in this extract?' Or 'How is blahblahblah's perception of blahblahblah portrayed in this extract?' I never got good grades on them ngl, but now I'm in Year 13 going over the AS content it really helps to do past or made up questions. For my own revision I'm using the YorkNotes revision guide, which helps SO SO much. As for the Paris Anthology, we just went through every extract we could and pieced together how Paris or anything else that is the main theme is presented. We also did lots of recasts and commentaries (the fun part!!! Really enjoyed this) and went over the English language frameworks.

If you need any help then please PM me, I didn't get a good grade at AS at all, but I would like to help someone else get an even better grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! awh that's so lovely, good advice. Are you redoing the AS or carrying on to A2? :smile:
Hey there!

Reply soon!

VAMP

Check your PM if you can :smile:
Reply 9
Is anyone here able to mark my anthology essay for a level lang and lit and give feedback to me as I have to make this essay A/B style in order to up my predicted grade. Deadline Thursday but need asap for tutor.
Original post by xnajia
Is anyone here able to mark my anthology essay for a level lang and lit and give feedback to me as I have to make this essay A/B style in order to up my predicted grade. Deadline Thursday but need asap for tutor.

Might be able to help. But it depends if I'm busy and I might exactly be much of a help.
Reply 11
Might be able to help. But it depends if I'm busy and I might exactly be much of a help.

Just finished the essay now after working on it all day, how can i show this to you? If you're not busy ofc,
Hi, I'm starting AS English Language and Literature this September and was wondering if anyone could explain how you study the Paris Anthology? I just don't understand how you study non-fiction text, and from what I've read it doesn't seem very interesting. Did you find it interesting?
Many thanks, abrainy

Quick Reply

Latest