The Student Room Group

What have you heard about these unis?

I have been offered conditional offers for University of Bedfordshire, Bath spa University and University of Salford to study Biology.
I have also received an unconditional from the University of Bolton.
I am still awaiting a decision from the University of Southampon.

What have you heard about Biology from the following Universitys?

Bath spa University
University of Salford
University of Bolton

P.S I have been to open days for all of them except Bolton which I am seeing soon! I have also been on 'Unistats' and 'which?'

Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

dont mean to be rude, but you should have probably researched this before eg league tables etc. also, seeing as youve been to the open days, only really your opinion that matters. well done for the offers though, especially the unconditional!
Reply 2
I have researched it all before I applied and love the 3 listed so trying to do more research to decide which to put as my firm and ensurance!

Thank you
Firm southampton and inurance Bolton :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by seisha
I have researched it all before I applied and love the 3 listed so trying to do more research to decide which to put as my firm and ensurance!

Thank you

(this is my old account sorry lol)
Reply 5
Original post by Epistemolog y
Firm southampton and inurance Bolton :smile:

I haven't received an offer from Southampton yet but even if I do

Bath spa and Salford are my top two (not sure which i prefer) and then i might put bolton in if i like it...
Hi Sasha,
I'm Head of Biology at Bath Spa University so hope to meet you at one of our Open Days, unless you have already been. If not, please come and say hello. Ian
Original post by sasha1999
I haven't received an offer from Southampton yet but even if I do

Bath spa and Salford are my top two (not sure which i prefer) and then i might put bolton in if i like it...

Why Southamoton is much better than both of those universities.
Original post by Epistemolog y
Why Southamoton is much better than both of those universities.

I'm interested to know why it is so much better. Surely it depends on what part of Biology you are interested in studying?
Original post by seisha

Thank you

ah ok, then prpbabluy bedfordshire first
Original post by sasha1999
I have been offered conditional offers for University of Bedfordshire, Bath spa University and University of Salford to study Biology.
I have also received an unconditional from the University of Bolton.
I am still awaiting a decision from the University of Southampon.

What have you heard about Biology from the following Universitys?

Bath spa University
University of Salford
University of Bolton

P.S I have been to open days for all of them except Bolton which I am seeing soon! I have also been on 'Unistats' and 'which?'

Thank you in advance!

Bolton is a very bad uni, the other two are just bad universities try to avoid if possible
I assume you must have been to all of them and studied all of their courses?
Original post by TraineeBMS
I assume you must have been to all of them and studied all of their courses?

Nope, just based on rankings and my own personal experiences at ex-polytechnics/ modern universities
Rankings are a very poor judge of Universities and 99% of Universities are not bad at every course, even if in general as a University they are below average.
Rankings are a very poor judge of Universities and 99% of Universities are not bad at every course, even if in general as a University they are below average.

This holds for non traditional subjects but for traditional subjects like the OP is doing going to a research intense/ heavy university is better. If this wasn't true then why do employers make a distinction between RG and non RG universities with preference being given to graduates from RG universities?
Wouldn't recommend Bedfordshire purely on the area but couldn't really advise you much on the course I'm afraid! If the course is amazing, that can sometimes make up for it.
My other half does a very traditional course at a University that does next to no research and she is so employable it's beyond a joke. The opportunities given to her on that course have put her in a situation where she has employers fighting over her and she has a complete pick of the bunch. She is actually at her 2nd choice Uni after applying for a RG uni as her first back when she did her UCAS, she is now in her 3rd year and it's one of the best thing to happen to her. Yes, getting rejected for a RG uni and going to a non-RG uni was one of the best things to happen to her. She didn't realise it at the time, many think RG uni's are the be all and end off. Getting a job is the be all and end all, and I'm aware of many situations where non-RG universities are providing a much greater chance of gaining employment.
My other half does a very traditional course at a University that does next to no research and she is so employable it's beyond a joke. The opportunities given to her on that course have put her in a situation where she has employers fighting over her and she has a complete pick of the bunch. She is actually at her 2nd choice Uni after applying for a RG uni as her first back when she did her UCAS, she is now in her 3rd year and it's one of the best thing to happen to her. Yes, getting rejected for a RG uni and going to a non-RG uni was one of the best things to happen to her. She didn't realise it at the time, many think RG uni's are the be all and end off. Getting a job is the be all and end all, and I'm aware of many situations where non-RG universities are providing a much greater chance of gaining employment.

Well your other half is an exception to the rule because most places prefer a more traditional and prestigious university on their CV especially for industries such as banking, law etc
There are a select few, yes, and they're typically regarded as stone-age employers by the top recruitment experts since we have moved judging a graduate based on where they obtained their degree because 80% of employers have realised just how little it means.
I've worked at both traditional (Cardiff, Oxford, Cambridge) and 'modern' (Hertfordshire, Bath Spa) universities in my career and can honestly say that students get at least as good an experience at a 'modern' university than a Russell Group one. As has already been said, a good modern employer would be crazy to appoint on anything other than the students' experiences and grades.

Quick Reply

Latest