The Student Room Group

Is it time to ban democracy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
So why should voters get punished just because they live in a highly populated state?

It's to stop liberals with their high-population states from skewing the election.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Don't tell me, my choice of wording offends you? Did it violate your safe space?

Also genuinely interested to know what you thought of Sanders? Even if you disagree with what he stood for do you not respect how he actually stands for something rather than the hollowness of Clinton?
That's not political discourse. That's insulting the electorate. A radical idea, but liberals could try and allay immigration fears, debate why it's worth immigration is worth it, and cut out the condescending insults. And so forth with other political issues.
I did read what you said. Nothing of any substance. Even your explanation makes no sense. Millennials favouring Clinton prove jack, just as the war-protesting, tree-hugging hippies voting for Carter proved jack.

And people never once pointed to the positive effects of immigration in the referendum? All they did was "but racist, shut up"? So you want people to not say the truth? You dismiss others as condescending just because you don't like being called out for what you are - a racist?

I never said it is "proving" anything. I said that in decades to come someone like Trump will never be voted in.

And look who is being condescending now. Add hypocrite to the list of your many flaws.
Original post by Cato the Elder
It's to stop liberals with their high-population states from skewing the election.

So as long as something is bad for liberals, it's good?

:rolleyes:
Don't tell me, my choice of wording offends you? Did it violate your safe space?

Your personality.
So as long as something is bad for liberals, it's good?

:rolleyes:

Usually, yes.
Usually, yes.

You must be fun to hang out with.
Original post by Bornblue
Also genuinely interested to know what you thought of Sanders? Even if you disagree with what he stood for do you not respect how he actually stands for something rather than the hollowness of Clinton?

Yeah definitely. He would have beaten Trump. An anti-establishment figure promising to shake up the system, but with far fewer questionable characteristics and scandals. Was quite disappointed though how quickly and easily he fell in line and supported Clinton after failing to get the nomination.
And people never once pointed to the positive effects of immigration in the referendum? All they did was "but racist, shut up"? So you want people to not say the truth? You dismiss others as condescending just because you don't like being called out for what you are - a racist?

I never said it is "proving" anything. I said that in decades to come someone like Trump will never be voted in.

And look who is being condescending now. Add hypocrite to the list of your many flaws.

Again, your missing the point. It's not one or the other. Unfortunately in the referendum is was too much belittling and insults from the left, and not enough positive arguments. And even the arguments offered didn't actually address the main issues- of regulated immigration and strain on social services.
But whatever, continue doubling down on what made Remain lose. As even super liberal Bill Maher had recognised, the left cried wolf too much with the racism card. It loses meaning and impact when you throw it around so casually. Now when the left use it, most swing voters just roll their eyes.

How am I being condescending? Do you find logical arguments too condescending? Is that why you only resort to petty insults?
Your personality.

What a crap post. Anyway...
I don't believe in democracy, but even the masses, like a broken clock, can be right once in a while.

I would favour a benevolent dictatorship, but one led by a hard right-winger who would deport illegal immigrants, defend our culture and crush the Marxists infiltrating and subverting our society.

If a right wing society was really that great you'd be able to sell it to us on its own merits without all the ridiculous reds under the bed stuff.
What a crap post. Anyway...

I answered your question.

Don't blame me for your *****y question.
''until voters become better educated.''
Maybe your the ones that needs educating. How arrogant can you be? People wont stand for this false equality gap people are exaggerating. Clinton would have put 'safe areas' for LTGB people to cry in. Grow up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
If a right wing society was really that great you'd be able to sell it to us on its own merits without all the ridiculous reds under the bed stuff.

Human beings are irrational, so it's much easier to scaremonger them into it.
Again, your missing the point. It's not one or the other. Unfortunately in the referendum is was too much belittling and insults from the left, and not enough positive arguments. And even the arguments offered didn't actually address the main issues- of regulated immigration and strain on social services.
But whatever, continue doubling down on what made Remain lose. As even super liberal Bill Maher had recognised, the left cried wolf too much with the racism card. It loses meaning and impact when you throw it around so casually. Now when the left use it, most swing voters just roll their eyes.

How am I being condescending? Do you find logical arguments too condescending? Is that why you only resort to petty insults?

There were enough positive arguments, as I repeatedly said that pandering to racists ideas just to get votes is not something that should be done, or you are just violating your own principles.

What you don't understand is that the "right" are just a bunch of whiny crybabies, oh boohoo our lives suck so much, oh boohoo they are calling us racist, oh boohoo I wanna be able to insult anyone, etc.

"Strain on social services" - final straw for me, one of the main arguments was just that, that immigration is a net contributor to said services. What you fail to see is that people want their biases and prejudices confirmed, so when someone like Trump comes along and says all that, or if someone like Farage or Johnson comes along and tells people oh no, outside the EU we can give the NHS 350m then that is all they will hear.

What's ironic is that you most likely consider yourself as intelligent, yet you fail to see past your own prejudices, even after they have been pointed out to you multiple times. Done wasting my time.
I answered your question.

Don't blame me for your *****y question.

You didn't. 'Your personality' is a crap answer, and much like everything you say, makes little sense in context of what you highlighted.
This has grown tiresome. If you have anything of substance to add, or actually want to debate real issues, then by all means.
too much belittling and insults from the left, and not enough positive arguments.

Here is a list of all the insults hurled by Trump on Twitter alone since declaring his candidacy. 282 targets, 4000 tweets, 1 in every 8 tweets made contained a personal insult of some kind.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/upshot/donald-trump-twitter-insults.html?_r=0

Why is the left and centre held to high moral standards but the right can get away with murder?

In the spoiler is just 3/4 of the insults levelled against Hillary Clinton, which maxes out TSR's character limit...

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Human beings are irrational, so it's much easier to scaremonger them into it.

I don't disagree, but please, try me with the rational argument. It would be a breath of fresh air from the right.
lol whoever said that democracy shouldn't exist until voters are better educated - hillary voters are by FAR the most unintelligent, simply for supporting a crooked, corporatist, scheming, corrupt, warmongering, nepotistic cyborg like clinton. they were supporting a candidate that engendered EVERYTHING THEY DISLIKED. the fact that she had a vagina is ****ing irrelevant. identity politics is dead. we're all equal now. as soon as a GOOD female candidate comes along, THEN we will have a female prsident. but you CANNOT argue, essentially, that she should have won because of her gender. and before you think that I'm setting up a strawman, WHAT ELSE did she have in her favour?! also, to those that think that clinton's lack of election is a mark of sexism, how on earth is it NOT sexist to NOT vote for trump because he isn't a woman?!
There were enough positive arguments, as I repeatedly said that pandering to racists ideas just to get votes is not something that should be done, or you are just violating your own principles.

Such as?
This is like talking to a brick wall. There's no hope for you if you think that trying to win over swing voters and addressing their concerns is pandering to racists. Such a flippant attitude is precisely why Remain lost. Having concerns about immigration, or wanting to control it, is not racist. Stop crying wolf.

What you don't understand is that the "right" are just a bunch of whiny crybabies, oh boohoo our lives suck so much, oh boohoo they are calling us racist, oh boohoo I wanna be able to insult anyone, etc.

I didn't vote remain, I'm not the one whining about anything. I'm telling you why your side lost the referendum and why Leave voters voted the way they did. What you do with that information doesn't bother me in the slightest, but clearly you're going with the 'stick fingers in ears and shout down the other side' approach which has clearly served the left so well recently...

"Strain on social services" - final straw for me, one of the main arguments was just that, that immigration is a net contributor to said services. What you fail to see is that people want their biases and prejudices confirmed, so when someone like Trump comes along and says all that, or if someone like Farage or Johnson comes along and tells people oh no, outside the EU we can give the NHS 350m then that is all they will hear.

No it wasn't. Christ, you don't even know your own side's argument. The argument was that apparently (via a study that made a lot of assumptions and was ultimately funded by the EU) immigration is a net benefit to the UK's public purse based solely on a taxes minus state welfare calculation. That's a completely different issue to whether or not they are a strain on social services.

What's ironic is that you most likely consider yourself as intelligent, yet you fail to see past your own prejudices, even after they have been pointed out to you multiple times. Done wasting my time.

You say flatly that all Brexit voters are racist but I'm the prejudiced one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending