The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Muslims are such nice people.

There's a reason why in the religion we are told not to have relationships with other faiths and it's because these problems arise and feelings and people get hurt. So to avoid this, those rules are set in place. It doesn't make us bad people and neither does it make the religion bad. Sure culture takes it to the extreme but that's because religion is such a large factor within Pakistani society.
@Josb Stop generalizing.
Reply 22
Original post by Asiangirl_18
There's a reason why in the religion we are told not to have relationships with other faiths and it's because these problems arise and feelings and people get hurt.

Yeah, because the religion arbitrarily stigmatises it.
Original post by hamza772000
Give them their Ideas for life init :wink:

?.
Reply 24
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
@Josb Stop generalizing.

She said "all the Muslims".
Reply 25
@Josb Stop generalizing.

It was actually asiangirl who made the claim- "when u are to have children they also will be stigmatised and hated by all the Muslims"
Original post by RobML
I don't think Josb would disown his children over such silly things

You think I would? A bit rude of you to imply I'd be a heartless bastard
Original post by Josb
She said "all the Muslims".

I would think you'd know better. Guess not.
Original post by TheProphetsPath
?.
dont u get the pun? :tongue: this is evil salafi rite?
Original post by RobML
It was actually asiangirl who made the claim- "when u are to have children they also will be stigmatised and hated by all the Muslims"

Soz my bad I should have said most. Because that's how it is. There will literally be the smallest Muslim minority who will allow this kinda stuff. If u look in Chinese and that part of Asia, their culture is traditionally all about respect and honour. Lose that and ur life is not worth living. The same ethics are in place for most Muslims.
Reply 30
I would think you'd know better. Guess not.

I know that Muslims are not all like this, but the prevalence of this behaviour is much higher among them.
Original post by hamza772000
dont u get the pun? :tongue: this is evil salafi rite?

nope defo not that's user1213 i believe
Original post by RobML

Is it stigmatising when the religion is only forewarning u of the consequences that will happen if u go down a certain path? If God wanted to, we could all be absolutely subservient and follow his every commander yet he has allowed us that freedom to choose but the Quran has been given to us like what the Book of Laws is for England and other countries. It's there to try and protect u from all harm but stray from it and so be it, then deal with the consequences. In a very basic and harsh way this is what these rule books whether religious or not are made for. What's wrong in that?
Original post by Josb
I know that Muslims are not all like this, but the prevalence of this behaviour is much higher among them.

Good.
Original post by TheProphetsPath
nope defo not that's user1213 i believe
oh ok @User1213 lol
Original post by RobML

"stigmatise" isn't really the correct word here, and the point she is making is something that is valid in most interfaith relationships.
Muslims are against certain things such as drinking alcohol and consuming pork, a lot of Hindus believe in complete vegetarianism and are polytheist, some Jewish people believe it is mandatory for men to wear the kippa (skullcap) at all times.

With so many contradictory teachings, it is very understandable that a child whose parents follow different religions will be confused, and the religious communities will probably question the child's loyalties and faith. I personally don't think it's right to put a child through that if you can avoid it.

Islamic communities are not the only ones who think like this and it has nothing to do with "stigmatising" a child, it's the fact that a child is confused because they've been raised into 2 different faiths with contradictory beliefs and from what I've seen usually the child ends up steering towards one more than the other or rejects both completely because of the confusion.

Her point was that it's not nice to put a child through this.
Reply 36
Is it stigmatising when the religion is only forewarning u of the consequences that will happen if u go down a certain path?

Most of the harm is created by fellow muslims believing such things are evil/punishable. The religion creates its own issues- they would not exist otherwise. There's no inherent harm in someone of one religion dating someone of another, for example.
Reply 37
There's a reason why in the religion we are told not to have relationships with other faiths and it's because these problems arise and feelings and people get hurt. So to avoid this, those rules are set in place. It doesn't make us bad people and neither does it make the religion bad. Sure culture takes it to the extreme but that's because religion is such a large factor within Pakistani society.

Are you saying that Muslims are required to shame those who leave their faith?
Original post by Josb
Are you saying that Muslims are required to shame those who leave their faith?

I didn't say theyr meant to shame. But if someone is or has done bad ur not really supposed to associate urself with them because u may end up going down the wrong path urself. It's like if u weren't alcoholic or hooked on drugs. Would u associate urself with people who are? Would ur family allow it for u to associate with this kinda people? No. same in this situation. I will admit culture takes it a bit too extreme but only when it comes down to honour killings. The rest is completely plausible.
It seems like you're asking for a solution.

There is no solution. You know that. I (as a Pakistani male) know that.

You either choose your family or you choose your boyfriend. There is no compromise or middle ground. It's not fair. It never will be. To have your son run off with a 'gori' is one thing, but to have your daughter run off with a 'gora' is something else entirely. It sucks. But that doesn't change the cold, hard, backwards truth.

This is a decision you need to make with your head, not your heart. Nobody on here can say anything that should be able to influence your decision.

Latest