The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, do you know how Downing will use admission assessments?
Reply 81
Original post by metrize

What's it say in the OP? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What's it say in the OP? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fair enough, just wondering if he overheard something maybe :tongue:

Thanks anyway though!
Original post by IcedArizona
"Please note that, in deciding who to call to interv
iew, we will only use performance in admissions assessments positively, not negatively, i.e. no one will be ruled out of interview by their performance in an admissions assessment, but applicants who perform strongly in an assessment, but who otherwise we were not planning to call to interview, may be invited."

Hello,
This statement is from Churchill college. I was wondering if you know if at Murray Edwards or other colleges a similar approach would be used regarding AAs? I understand this is college specific but maybe you would have some insight on this :colondollar:

Thanks a lot from a panicking NatSci applicant :s-smilie:

All colleges will be using AAs in slightly different ways and across different subjects, especially in this first year. I think that we will see a similar, if probably slightly larger number of people than previously interviewed across the university.

I can't speak for every college but my impression is that most will be using poor performance in AAs as part of a reason to deselect a candidate but only in conjunction with other information which indicates weakness. A poor AA on its own, where there is strength elsewhere in the application, is not going to rule a candidate out at this stage. I think that's a similar sentiment to the Churchill statement but with perhaps a slightly different emphasis.
Original post by metrize

Nothing specifically no, sorry.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Nothing specifically no, sorry.

Thank you so much for your answer. In addition, how will the fact that the applicant is not studying the A level or IB syllabus (and hence not covering the same topics at all) be considered for AAs epecially in scientific subjects? For example, I am studying the french bac and as our chemistry and physics is put together (and therefore less physics and chemistry individually, thus we are late on the british curriculum). I feel this really disadvantaged me although I did try my best to catch up on the British curriculum, however self teaching it is very different from getting actual teaching..

Thank you again for your help!
Hi! I didn't do GCSEs because my previous school didn't offer them (or any other equivalent international qualification), and wanted to ask if that would put me at a disadvantage in any way? I've heard rumours that it might, so would really appreciate it if you could let me know if there's any truth to that at all?

Thank you for making this extremely useful thread! :smile:
Original post by moderndaytess
Would you advise a revision of interview technique and/or preparation for pre-admission aspects such as this, prior to the extension of an invitation for interview at your institution? I have delayed it thus far as I currently doubt my performance in the ELAT this year; I understand this to have a bearing in your decision. Thank you

I wouldn't practice 'technique' as such. There's no specific way of doing an interview, each will be unique and we want you to be yourself in them. By all means, though, go over your submitted material (PS, essays etc.) and try to think about your Year 12 and 13 work and also about further reading you have done. The more you think about your subject the better and you don't need to wait for an interview to do that.
Thank you so much for your answer. In addition, how will the fact that the applicant is not studying the A level or IB syllabus (and hence not covering the same topics at all) be considered for AAs epecially in scientific subjects? For example, I am studying the french bac and as our chemistry and physics is put together (and therefore less physics and chemistry individually, thus we are late on the british curriculum). I feel this really disadvantaged me although I did try my best to catch up on the British curriculum, however self teaching it is very different from getting actual teaching..

Thank you again for your help!

Where students are doing overseas qualifications the AAs will give us an important data point and point of comparison with UK students that we've not had before. The transcripts you submitted are also hugely useful as we know the type of scores we are looking for in the various subjects and the overall score in different countries. We know the strengths and limitations of the French Bac and OIB very well as we have a lot of students over the years who have done it.
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Hi! I didn't do GCSEs because my previous school didn't offer them (or any other equivalent international qualification), and wanted to ask if that would put me at a disadvantage in any way? I've heard rumours that it might, so would really appreciate it if you could let me know if there's any truth to that at all?

Thank you for making this extremely useful thread! :smile:

It's not unusual for students not to have GSCEs or equivalents and it won't put you at a disadvantage. What it will do is not provide a data point which could have advantaged you if you had excelled in it, if that makes sense?
Where students are doing overseas qualifications the AAs will give us an important data point and point of comparison with UK students that we've not had before. The transcripts you submitted are also hugely useful as we know the type of scores we are looking for in the various subjects and the overall score in different countries. We know the strengths and limitations of the French Bac and OIB very well as we have a lot of students over the years who have done it.

Okay, so for example my transcript shows a yearly average of 17/20 (last year) and I am predicted 18 - this would perhaps compensate for the AA?
What would you say are the strengths of the French OIB?
Original post by achiever's_mum
Hello,
Thanks for starting this thread. My daughter is applying to PBS at Jesus College, Cambridge. I am writing to find out if the dates have been set for the interviews at Jesus for PBS. Probably just nerves, but we are all anxious to know more about the timelines...

Thanks and would greatly appreciate your reply.

Kind regards,
Anxious mum

Hi, I'm a mum too and my son has applied to Jesus to do natural sciences. On the list he had from them, the interviews for PBS are to be held on the 8th and 9th December. Hope this helps and the very best of luck 😊

**I don't think you have seen this yet...?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not unusual for students not to have GSCEs or equivalents and it won't put you at a disadvantage. What it will do is not provide a data point which could have advantaged you if you had excelled in it, if that makes sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you!
Just a comment, thanks for all your help and hard work @Murray Edwards Admissions :h:
Thanks for doing this, the support applicants get is very appreciated One thing I'm curious about is overseas interviews.

I've already had mine a while ago, so I'm curious whether they are administered any differently, or whether their results are interpreted and weighted differently in admissions decisions, given that overseas interviewees only get one interview, and that interview is solely administered by one interviewer.

That is to say, is there a different focus for overseas interviews since they're only limited to one, and are the results, for instance, given less import when being considered in disqualifying an applicant?

Thanks!
Okay, so for example my transcript shows a yearly average of 17/20 (last year) and I am predicted 18 - this would perhaps compensate for the AA?
What would you say are the strengths of the French OIB?

That's a decent transcript, yes, and is the sort of level that we are after. The obvious strength of the OIB from a UK perspective is that parts of it are taught in a foreign language (usually English for those applying here).
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Just a comment, thanks for all your help and hard work @Murray Edwards Admissions :h:

Thank you, much appreciated! Hope the HAA went well.
Original post by Infested
Thanks for doing this, the support applicants get is very appreciated One thing I'm curious about is overseas interviews.

I've already had mine a while ago, so I'm curious whether they are administered any differently, or whether their results are interpreted and weighted differently in admissions decisions, given that overseas interviewees only get one interview, and that interview is solely administered by one interviewer.

That is to say, is there a different focus for overseas interviews since they're only limited to one, and are the results, for instance, given less import when being considered in disqualifying an applicant?

Thanks!

The overseas interviews are conducted by very experienced interviewers, usually current or former admissions tutors or senior tutors and so their comments on candidates are well respected. There isn't a different focus in overseas interviews - we are trying to do the same sorts of things.

Candidates who are given a strong overall score (8 out of 10) by overseas interviewers are eligible for compulsory pooling so that if their original college doesn't pick them up then other colleges can. Their interview reports are often very detailed and that is always helpful.
Reply 98
The overseas interviews are conducted by very experienced interviewers, usually current or former admissions tutors or senior tutors and so their comments on candidates are well respected. There isn't a different focus in overseas interviews - we are trying to do the same sorts of things.

Candidates who are given a strong overall score (8 out of 10) by overseas interviewers are eligible for compulsory pooling so that if their original college doesn't pick them up then other colleges can. Their interview reports are often very detailed and that is always helpful.

Would the focus of overseas interviews be more general rather than course-specific?
Similarly, would the personal statements and written work be used differently?
I know it might be different for different colleges but what's the general format for natsci (physical) interviews? Is there another pre interview test like some maths folk have? Do we have to do a TSA which I read we might have to do on Cambridge's website once? I also heard personal statements aren't usually focused on in the interviews, is that true? Also from my personal statement I've made it clear physics is my main focus so I'm assuming that means i wont be asked chemistry based questions so I don't plan on revising my chemistry for the interviews, would this be wise?